Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #301
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
My fuel light went on this morning.

At 360.4 miles.

...Maybe I'll fill em all the way this time....

SA
was thinking the same.
420 miles, fuel light went on. It was a boring ride but 2up, super loaded, panniers at 85-90mph of freeway in average wind conditions with K60 tires. I love these tanks.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #302
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,226
Where are you now Bikyto?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #303
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 969
White tank micro-bubbles

Just received my white tanks. I know about most of the quality issues but hadn't heard of this one...around the upper screw holes, near the windshield, the white plastic appears to be full of tiny bubbles, like around 1/64th". Doesn't sound bad but black-ish bubbles on white tanks are pretty obvious and this is a pretty obvious spot. Kinda like black pepper spilled on a white tablecloth. Also if there are bubbles should I be worried about porosity?
Second, the fuel pump hole is not very smooth, where the o-ring will locate. Is this an issue or does the supplied flange gasket provide the seal? (Or is this just for 950 use?)
Third, anyone cover the inner surface of these tanks with insulating reflective tape? I did this to my OEM tanks to help alleviate boiling fuel issues.

RoundOz screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 10:46 PM
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #304
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Where are you now Bikyto?
I pm'ed you a while back Qwik.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:57 AM   #305
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Just received my white tanks. I know about most of the quality issues but hadn't heard of this one...around the upper screw holes, near the windshield, the white plastic appears to be full of tiny bubbles, like around 1/64th". Doesn't sound bad but black-ish bubbles on white tanks are pretty obvious and this is a pretty obvious spot. Kinda like black pepper spilled on a white tablecloth. Also if there are bubbles should I be worried about porosity?
Second, the fuel pump hole is not very smooth, where the o-ring will locate. Is this an issue or does the supplied flange gasket provide the seal? (Or is this just for 950 use?)
Third, anyone cover the inner surface of these tanks with insulating reflective tape? I did this to my OEM tanks to help alleviate boiling fuel issues.
Mine are orange and have a few bubbles too. No issues.
The fuel pump hole needed some care on my previous white ones but without issue. The fuel pump bolt might not line up, be aware, and you might have to enlarge the holes on the fuel pump base.
I use the flange gasket as well and haven't had a leak.
I have used insulating tape and it held up for many thousands of miles and all of a sudden they peeled off. Basically, over time, it's not reliable.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #306
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 969
It sounds like I may as well keep the ones I have...I asked the supplier to enquire with the distributor and/or aquiline if I should return them to try to get a better set....guess I will just have to keep it dirty...it seems we are all victims of owning a fairly exclusive bike. Once Aquiline had created a very well designed product there really wasn't room in the market for competition. That might change with the 1190. I hear they are developing an 8 gallon tank for them, but I have a feeling the sales will be higher than the 9x0 and also that if the out the door cost of a bike is around $19000, the average buyer will be looking for something a little better finished than the Safaris. One tank instead of two might bring people like Acerbis into the mix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Mine are orange and have a few bubbles too. No issues.
The fuel pump hole needed some care on my previous white ones but without issue. The fuel pump bolt might not line up, be aware, and you might have to enlarge the holes on the fuel pump base.
I use the flange gasket as well and haven't had a leak.
I have used insulating tape and it held up for many thousands of miles and all of a sudden they peeled off. Basically, over time, it's not reliable.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #307
eizrah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hi guys, it seems im starting to love this thread... But a quick question here, where could I get the Touratech Crashbar for the Safari Tank? It seems like been discontinued.. Are there any other crashbar maker that would go with the Safari Tank? I prefer to get the crashbar n the tank at the same time if possible. So where is the best place to get the Safari tank online ? Any suggestion would be a great help.. thanks
eizrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #308
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizrah View Post
Hi guys, it seems im starting to love this thread... But a quick question here, where could I get the Touratech Crashbar for the Safari Tank? It seems like been discontinued.. Are there any other crashbar maker that would go with the Safari Tank? I prefer to get the crashbar n the tank at the same time if possible. So where is the best place to get the Safari tank online ? Any suggestion would be a great help.. thanks

http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/about-us...ari-gas-tanks/

Craig also made me a set of crash bars including the top loop similar to the old design for the 950. Check with him to see if he would still make them.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #309
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
When I fit my tanks over the winter I'm going to cut my current crash bars, insert a steel rod into them and have them welded and re powder coated...
...that's the plan anyway...
Old 09-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #310
BMacW650

Oddometer: 741
I crashed mine many times with no crash bar. The tanks is really strong. and those replaceable black plastic pieces really work.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #311
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 324
The reason for this thread.
Hard to tell, but I probably had somewhere between .5 and 1.5 gallons in there when I rode up to the pump. I never get tired of the lack of "range anxiety" with that capacity.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #312
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 800
950 Super enduro with Safari tank- When I got the bike, first big ride I did if I left the bike in the sun, the vent wouldn't vent and the tank woud pressurize and blow fuel out under the tank. Loosened cap at any stop and of course after a few days, rode off without tightening the cap and lost it. rode rest of ride with ziplock bag rubber banded around cap. :(

Called justgastanks and ordered replacement cap. Got billet cap but after trying two or three they just didn't fit so i got the OE plastic cap. Put on Moose vent. Been fine for a few months, but left the bike in the driveway after washing it sunday and when I came back outside the tank has pressurized again and fuel is spilling on the driveway. unscrew cap, hear it vent. checked moose valve and it seems to be fine blowing air in the hose.

any thoughts on what is causing it to not vent? did I get a bad cap? or did washing it somehow get water in the vent so it won't vent? should I just go back to a hose routed forward?

gas seems to be leaking out around the fuel pump area. anyone else seen these issues with the safari tank on an SE or ADV?
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #313
BMacW650

Oddometer: 741
Bullet proof
http://youtu.be/HQI3-WYzGmk?t=2m45s

http://youtu.be/HQI3-WYzGmk?t=15m46s
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #314
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
...anyone else seen these issues with the safari tank on an SE or ADV?

Where exactly is the fuel coming out? Carb overflow ? Not sure how fuel is getting that close to your fuel cap unless this only happens on a full to the top tank. The valve should plug shut to retain fluids in a tip over when fuel hits the ball. What may be happening is the rapidly expanding fumes from the sun heating them may be pushing the check ball up against the stop. Make sure the valve is vertical so the ball stays at the bottom in the open position.

I have white so no Sun issues, however, I did have a vent valve like mention and it was hooked to a T from each tank vent hose. Upon breaking, sloshing gas would rush forward, fill the lines then blow past the valve that's supposed to keep the gas from escaping.

-

Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #315
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 800
there's no fuel coming out the cap, it's coming out either the carb overflow or I am pretty sure the vent line from the fuel pump (it's leaking in the area of the fuel pump but I couldn't pinpoint the spot because I had already opened the gas cap and released the pressure...

but the cap doesn't seem to be working and I'm trying to figure out if it's the moose valve or the gas cap itself that's not venting... just checking to see if anyone else had this issue. I can blow in the moose valve and it allows me to blow thru it, so I'm assuming the issue is in the gas cap somewhere, it's not allowing the pressure in the tank to vent?
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote