Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #1831
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Okay, I'm making my third effort at learning to play bass and just bought the short scale bass I've been looking for.

Ta da:

The Epiphone EB-O

It's a modest instrument but perfect for now. I pick it up often and am getting used to moving around on the fretboard. I have a Pocket Rockit to play through. I haven't found a teacher yet. I ordered a few method books and a fretboard layout.
What else will help me get started?
I have very modest expectations. I'm 63 and have been playing drums since junior high school and played flute in college. Bass has been becoming increasingly appealing to me over the years and I'd like to gain some proficiency before all those head injuries catch up to me and I'm too gaga to do so.
Good for you, Mr. Bob!

I started playing guitar in high school, but it took a backseat to a bunch of other shiny stuff that attracts those of us with popcorn brain.

I'm back to practicing fairly regularly and I'm hoping age and soreness will lead to some of the gentler activities that youth and invincibility did not.

There's an awful lot of good, free advice and lessons on YouTube, and there's tracks to play along with, as well.
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #1832
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDave View Post
Good for you, Mr. Bob!

I started playing guitar in high school, but it took a backseat to a bunch of other shiny stuff that attracts those of us with popcorn brain.

I'm back to practicing fairly regularly and I'm hoping age and soreness will lead to some of the gentler activities that youth and invincibility did not.

There's an awful lot of good, free advice and lessons on YouTube, and there's tracks to play along with, as well.
Yes, Youtube - good suggestion.

This guy has a series of lessons on YT. He's a good instructor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q71WGGxFlMU

MrBob screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 08:55 PM
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #1833
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,424
Limba (korina) isn't particularly expensive, but I think it ranks highly as a tonewood for electric guitars. This is a pretty good article from Gibson about korina, though it goes a bit overboard so they can justify the price premium.

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyl...eatguitar.aspx

I have a custom shop G&L Tele that's part of their 100 piece limited korina collection, and it has a 2-piece body that's beautiful, but even new it wasn't a very expensive guitar at around $2k street price. Korina couldn't be that expensive or hard to work with if G&L can make a beautiful example at a reasonable cost. In either case, it's a great wood for a guitar, lighter but that complex, heavy bottom end that the best mahogany solidbodies have, but brighter. Pretty wood too, and a lot more variation in color and grain than many woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
I know where there is an original for sale.

Expensive because rare. Not expensive due to the limba wood.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #1834
motojosh
Mildly Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
New guitar day for me!

I was thinking about getting a Martin Backpacker or something along those lines when I discovered the guitar thread here, and saw josjor's post about the Recording King Dirty Thirties Single 0. Long story short: I've got one now! (And while I know that he comes to this thread as an enthusiast and not as a seller, I'm going to go ahead and say that josjor was great to deal with, if anyone else wants one of these.)

Here's a size comparison, next to a "regular" sized dreadnaught:

I'll get more practice time in on a short trip that I'm taking next week, but so far it feels great. The sound isn't, of course, as "big" as a full size guitar, but it's also nowhere near as banjo-y as the Backpacker. (Then again, it's also a bit bigger than a Backpacker, so there's a definite tradeoff.) I'm a returning guitarist (after 20-ish years, and I wasn't very good back then), and this is by far a better guitar than the one that I first learned on (which was also probably about a $200 guitar). I think if the one that I had then had been this comfortable to play, I probably would have practiced more and stuck with it longer.
motojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #1835
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,411
I like that Alvarez!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #1836
S3bird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145

I found this on Sweetwater and immediately ordered it. I got cold feet when they were blowing out the left over 2012s last winter and by the time came to my senses everybody was out of stock. I just happened to be looking one morning and found that they had four in stock at the end of July.

Big fan of the P90's...still have an Epi SG that has a set I shoehorned in back in the 1990s
S3bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #1837
motojosh
Mildly Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I like that Alvarez!
Thanks--it's been a fun guitar to re-learn on. I think Alvarez may be one of the most underrated manufacturers out there...
motojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #1838
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I like that Alvarez!

Exactly what I was thinking.

When I was a teen working in a guitar shop about 60 of those Alvarez Dreads came through and I never had the presence of mind to grab one.

......big bastards they are
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #1839
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
Glad you like the Recording King, Josh, and thanks for the kind words. That Alvarez brings back memories as my first guitar was an all mahogany Alvarez stunner I got at a pawn shop. Great, warm sounding guitar that, like many in my life, I should never have traded away.

Enjoy the RK and let me know your impressions of it once you've spent some time with it.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:00 AM   #1840
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
I'd like to join in this thread. I am 54 and have been trying to self-teach myself guitar since I was 12 without any success. Well, I can play the opening two lines to Smoke on the Water and that is it. LOL.

So I took my first guitar lesson from a teacher yesterday and I am going to start to take weekly lessons. I love the singers and songwriters from the early 1970's and that is what I am going to learn to play.

I am very excited about finally learning how to play - the guitar has been a very difficult instrument for me to learn and something I have always wanted to play.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:17 AM   #1841
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
I'd like to join in this thread. I am 54 and have been trying to self-teach myself guitar since I was 12 without any success. Well, I can play the opening two lines to Smoke on the Water and that is it. LOL.

So I took my first guitar lesson from a teacher yesterday and I am going to start to take weekly lessons. I love the singers and songwriters from the early 1970's and that is what I am going to learn to play.

I am very excited about finally learning how to play - the guitar has been a very difficult instrument for me to learn and something I have always wanted to play.
Good deal...I did a little of both, a "real live" teacher and youtube videos and such. Evaluate your teacher, and if they are not going the way you think you should go get a good reason why or start looking for others. Also I would say look at the youtube lessons as well...justinguitar is a great site and group of video lessons. Don't worry about getting ahead or any such thing....I really don't think it exists, the more time you spend moving your fingers around the better off you will be.

I still think I suck but others say I can play things that sound like music...but I do remember it was nice to stop from the practice my teacher gave me and try to learn part of a real song. Check out songster.com as well. It is fun to learn some other deep purple songs
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #1842
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojosh View Post
Thanks--it's been a fun guitar to re-learn on. I think Alvarez may be one of the most underrated manufacturers out there...
I have a 1981 Alvarez Dread; 5270 or something.

It's a bit beat up, but I noticed it at a shop, picked it up, and was amazed at the sound and how nicely it played. It's my travelling/camping/beater, but I play it nearly every day.

I'd really like to find a nice tobacco sunburst like yours.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #1843
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,424
Very cool! I think the LP Jr. with P90's is just the best all-around rock guitar there is. There's something about the way P90's work with that solid mahogany body and set neck that just does it. Here's my Collings 290, which has some cool contours in the back, and a Bigsby, in their "doghair" finish, that's kind of hard to capture in pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3bird View Post

I found this on Sweetwater and immediately ordered it. I got cold feet when they were blowing out the left over 2012s last winter and by the time came to my senses everybody was out of stock. I just happened to be looking one morning and found that they had four in stock at the end of July.

Big fan of the P90's...still have an Epi SG that has a set I shoehorned in back in the 1990s
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #1844
S3bird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Very cool! I think the LP Jr. with P90's is just the best all-around rock guitar there is. There's something about the way P90's work with that solid mahogany body and set neck that just does it. Here's my Collings 290, which has some cool contours in the back, and a Bigsby, in their "doghair" finish, that's kind of hard to capture in pics.

Extra cool points for the Bigsby!
S3bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #1845
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3bird View Post
Extra cool points for the Bigsby!
I hate trems.

Period.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote