ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
Chiknmunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I did about 230 mi. Saturday.When I rode out on the rock in the last pic,there where 3 girls out on the rock with their sleeping bags..
Rode over to Wayahuta and made a couple loops. Came back across Pinnacle and ran into a couple guys,one on a new 690 and the other on a DRZ.
Chiknmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #17
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
I live between Greenville and Spartanburg, and would like to find some people to ride local, and not so local trails with.
Stretch (and anyone else in the area), keep an eye on the Upstate dinner thread and head over to make and maintain contacts. The dinner moves around every few gatherings to a different restaurant; the first post in the thread is updated with the location.

Tomorrow (Wednesday, Aug. 7) should be the next gathering. (I just got back from a ride, so I haven't been in a while, but I'm about to go shake the tree/bump the thread. )

Here's the link:http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684695

All the best,
Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #18
stretch160 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post

:
So, how tricky is negotiating those boulders at the end of the bridge. Looks like fun, but the idea of braking me or the bike is the main reason why I want to find some local people to ride with. Whenever I come on an interesting obstacle I can't help but thinking how long it would be before anyone could find me out here.

The bike is coming back together nicely. If the rain holds off I may get out and play some sunday.
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
So, how tricky is negotiating those boulders at the end of the bridge. Looks like fun, but the idea of braking me or the bike is the main reason why I want to find some local people to ride with. Whenever I come on an interesting obstacle I can't help but thinking how long it would be before anyone could find me out here.

The bike is coming back together nicely. If the rain holds off I may get out and play some sunday.
I rode across with no issue after walking across first to scout a line(there's 8 more miles of trail and 2 more creek crossings on the far side before you hit the gate at SC line, so it's worth it ). It's a bit disconcerting if you haven't crossed before and especially if you're by yourself, but there is a good line there. From the viewpoint where photo was taken, center up between tire marks on steel bridge, drop onto left (camera's left) side of biggest rock then come straight out/down across small rocks in middle.

Goal is to keep front tire out of a big crevice - that's when things go sideways. Let the rear tire go where it likes, keep the front on line, and use moderate steady throttle feathering clutch to control speed.

First time across (coming towards camera) I paddle footed it due to having highway gears on bike and not being real comfortable with the speed required for feet up riding (no one around to help if I screwed up). On the way back I went up/over/down at about 10mph with no drama. A better rider, especially on a smaller bike, would have zero issues. And the Graham Jarvis types would wheelie across it at 50mph, so it's all a matter of perspective

I'm out of town for business currently, headed home tomorrow afternoon, so riding is out for me this weekend- doing the family thing with the remainder. Then I head out Wed for MotoGP at Indy However, the following weekend I would be down for a ride.
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
400psi
Cropdusting

Oddometer: 440
This looks fun.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Chiknmunky
Adventurer

So who's getting out tomorow?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #22
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 687
I've been to the NC Gorges / SC Bad Creek a couple times. Here's a pic of last year:

I went once more this year following a Dakar, so no time for pics.

Here's topless Suzie on Wolf Mountain Rd

So, when are we riding?

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #23
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
Nice pics stretch.

I'm in Brevard, just up the mountain from some of you. I've got a KLR that I run around on. I travel a fair amount for work, sometimes on short notice, but if any of you want to ride shoot me a PM and if I'm home I'll go.

I know a lot of the stuff north and west of Brevard and am slowly getting acquainted with the stuff south and east of here.

I'm content running around with the big adv bikes or the smaller dual sports either way. Though if I'm the biggest bike in the group I'll be swapping sprockets and tires to try and cheat my way into keeping up with the little bikes on the rough stuff

Looking for some examples to post, I realized I need to stop more to take photos. I don't have anything from most of my rides.

:

Those look awesome. I'm about 45 minutes north of Charlotte. I've got a DR but it will be a little while before I'd be able to get out there and ride.
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #24
stretch160 OP
Studly Adventurer

weather forcast is cool and rainy tomorow, but my buddy on the KLR wants to ride so we're meeting at the intersection of 14/11 at 10:00.
anybody else want to be cold and wet and go get stuck in the mud
Old 08-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #25
Chiknmunky
Adventurer

I may show up,if I can get my oil changed & it's not pouring rain.14&11 is only 3 or 4 miles from the house.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #26
stretch160 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiknmunky View Post
I may show up,if I can get my oil changed & it's not pouring rain.14&11 is only 3 or 4 miles from the house.
If you make it, I'll be the unusualy tall person riding the DR650.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
stretch160 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiknmunky View Post
Thanks for showing a noob around.
I definately learned a few things on our ride, If nothing else seeing somebody else tackle an obstacle first gave me the cofidence to try it. most importantly I learned when passing under trees, be sure to duck
random pics..........

Old 08-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #28
Chiknmunky
Adventurer

HEADS UP! Er,er, down! Sorry I had to cut it short but I guess it worked out with the rain rolling in.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #29
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 687
Anyone riding on Sunday Sept 8th? Hoping weather is good

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #30
stretch160 OP
Studly Adventurer