ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #3571
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
HUGE yellow jacket populations all over up there, so be careful
What's your secret to keeping them at bay Dale? I have been reading about home brewed tricks like dryer sheets attached to fans and traps made of cut up 2-liter soda bottles baited with jam. I read when it's hot meat is good bait too.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
2010 R1200RT - The Ultimate Touring Machine
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #3572
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,900
We used a strip of bacon on a stick over a basin of soapy water. In two days several hundred yellow jackets ended up dead and our campsite almost entirely clear of the danged buggers.
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle

Airhead #14449

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #3573
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
We used a strip of bacon on a stick over a basin of soapy water. In two days several hundred yellow jackets ended up dead and our campsite almost entirely clear of the danged buggers.
How does that work out in bear country?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #3574
DiamondLie
Banned

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
How does that work out in bear country?
Never, ever been a problem for us. You're not throwing out a pound of bacon or steak. A tiny piece of hot dog actually works great. Maybe you'd want to think twice if the area you're camping in is crawling with bears but I'd have to wonder why you'd want to camp in such a location anyway.

DiamondLie screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 07:30 PM
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #3575
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,512
Ione/Metaline is bear country and on the fringes of Grizzly country, not to mention cougars. Even a slice of bacon would have a scent that would draw bear and cougar just like it does bees. Luckily Dale didn't encounter a problem.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #3576
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Ione/Metaline is bear country and on the fringes of Grizzly country, not to mention cougars. Even a slice of bacon would have a scent that would draw bear and cougar just like it does bees. Luckily Dale didn't encounter a problem.
I heard bears and cougars are not a concern in Calder this year because the bees have driven them all away.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
2010 R1200RT - The Ultimate Touring Machine
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #3577
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,512
Ha, they fooled you. Bees make honey, bear love honey.

Have a great time and take lots of pictures to share.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #3578
WU7X
The Old Fart

The trip up there was great. Very few folks around. We found 3 waterfalls and I got pics of two of them.

Airhead #14449

Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #3579
DiamondLie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Respectfully disagree, Bug. A small chunk of hot dog, left out on the fringes of camp while you are present/awake is no more danger than any food product opened in the woods. Most folks cook or BBQ meat when they camp and that is a more real danger than leaving a small piece of meat tied to a string over a pot of soapy water. The benefits of keeping the wasps on the meat and off of you are pretty real. A bear attack is frankly far less common than getting stung. Go prepared with bear spray and a large caliber handgun and be alert/smart.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #3580
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
I'd have to wonder why you'd want to camp in such a location anyway.
When I have done so seeing the bears was a prime consideration.

Quote:
Respectfully disagree, Bug. A small chunk of hot dog, left out on the fringes of camp while you are present/awake is no more danger than any food product opened in the woods. Most folks cook or BBQ meat when they camp and that is a more real danger than leaving a small piece of meat tied to a string over a pot of soapy water. The benefits of keeping the wasps on the meat and off of you are pretty real. A bear attack is frankly far less common than getting stung. Go prepared with bear spray and a large caliber handgun and be alert/smart.
Animals are far more likely to forage in your camp at night. Leaving food out overnight is ill advised. I'd guess a chunk of hotdog smells about the same as several hotdogs.
Even with a camp that has been essentially baited by leaving food out overnight a bear attack is unlikely, and if you are attacked your handgun is a very poor bet at best. But a foraging bear can easily destroy your equipment and even your vehicle, possibly leaving you stranded in a remote area.
By the way I've only seen one Grizzly bear in WA. It crossed the highway in front of me a just few miles north of Metaline Falls.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #3581
WU7X
The Old Fart

We checked with the camp host before setting up. No bears, cougars, etc., in camp all summer. So we weren't too worried. Also we kept all our gear in the rig (cage camping this time) and we have a rooftop tent. The only camp robbers around were two black squirrels. We had to keep everything sealed up or they would be into them as soon as we turned our backs.

Beautiful area. Go see it now or wait until Sept. when things cool off a bit.

Airhead #14449

Old 08-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #3582
DiamondLie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
if you are attacked your handgun is a very poor bet at best.
What do you recommend...a slingshot? Almost any center fire cartridge of 357 bore or larger with a very hard, non-expanding, flat nosed bullet will pierce a bears skull with direct /frontal (between the eyes) hits. From the side angle, a shot right at the bottom of the ear canal is instant death. These two shots will guarantee a dead bear, if you are using the correct ammo. The old MYTH that bullets will slide off a bear’s skull is pure hogwash, when using modern ammo featuring bullets that will not mushroom when fired out of a powerful handgun.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #3583
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Quote:
What do you recommend...a slingshot? Almost any center fire cartridge of 357 bore or larger with a very hard, non-expanding, flat nosed bullet will pierce a bears skull with direct /frontal (between the eyes) hits. From the side angle, a shot right at the bottom of the ear canal is instant death. These two shots will guarantee a dead bear, if you are using the correct ammo. The old MYTH that bullets will slide off a bear’s skull is pure hogwash, when using modern ammo featuring bullets that will not mushroom when fired out of a powerful handgun.
The best defense against bear attacks is the big lump between your ears. If that fails 12 gauge slugs would be my next choice.
The good news is that you'll probably never need to demonstrate your very impressive marksmanship skills on a bear charging you at 30mph.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #3584
Road2Adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Talk to the lady that gives tours at Gardner Caves north of Metalline Falls about the bear problems that they have had this summer, ask the security people at Boundary Dam. Bear problems are no joke.

I, with friends hunted bear with dogs while still legal, I have seen a bear take 5 shots from a 357 at close range and kept coming, a win 338 put a stop to that. Picking where you place your shots is great with beers after target practice, it not the same as having a bear running on adrenalin coming at you at 35 miles an hour. Been there done that, what a rush.

Camping in remote places is the greatest camping anywhere. Bears have earned my respect. Food goes on rope over a tree branch min. of 10 feet up as does cooking pots and pans. I have seen many bears while camping......... I have had no problems with bears using safe practices.

Stay safe. Change the gas often.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #3585
WU7X
The Old Fart

[QUOTE=Road2Adv;22123891} Camping in remote places is the greatest camping anywhere. Bears have earned my respect. Food goes on rope over a tree branch min. of 10 feet up as does cooking pots and pans. I have seen many bears while camping......... I have had no problems with bears using safe practices.[/QUOTE]

+1 Been there, done that. All said and done, bears don't like us any more than we like them. Be smart, play safe.

Airhead #14449