ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #811
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,972
The desert around Blackfoot has very little sand... At least the kind of soft sand you would see out at the dunes. Lots of rock and dirt though, and plenty of odd / interesting things to see out there too.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #812
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcarver View Post
When it gets cooler I want to check out the desert. Google Earth shows a lot of 2 track. Much sand? Also want to get out to Copper Basin, Double spring and pass creek, medicine lodge, etc., etc., ahhh Idaho...
Riding Copper Basin over Labor Day. Nice country up there.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #813
Metalcarver
Geezer Berserker

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Riding Copper Basin over Labor Day. Nice country up there.
Wo! I'm in. Being a retired geezer I can maybe get into Copper Basin a day or two early to score a camp site. Haven't been there in 34 years and it usually gets pretty full on the big holidays...

The Meandering Geezer in Idaho
Escape from Idaho
Metalcarver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #814
Metalcarver
Geezer Berserker

Well, my method of scoping things out on google earth, making notes, and charging ahead kind of backfired today. Was going to cross Hell's half acre on the Lava Road, which I found and crossed part. But one of the tracks I picked was a power line maintenance road, which was doable on a 650 heavy, but not solo. Would have been a blast on a 250. Bailed and got lost in a maze of farm roads and somehow ended up in Blackfoot. Scroutched down real low as I followed the Yellowstone Hwy back home...

Escape from Idaho
Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #815
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Metalcarver, I use google earth to scout routes as well, but also carry an Idaho Road and Recreation atlas by Benchmark (don't get the Delorme version, the Benchmark is quite a bit more detailed and they're both about $20. I have them both) It comes in very handy. There IS a maze of roads out on the desert ranging from graded gravel to rutted rocky two track, and they're all in the atlas. Hopefully work will slow down soon and we can meet up and take the fun way to Arco or Carey. The county recently did a bunch of improvements to the road to the top of the BSB (big south butte) so it should be pretty doable on a DL650 as well. Perhaps we can work in a ride soon, my poor old KLR is getting pretty bored with riding only work and back.

P.S. If you plan on riding to Copper Basin solo, DON'T go over Antelope pass on the Wee, it's a rocky bugger in some places. (it's also one of my favorites ) I think with a moderate degree of dirt experience, and a wing man, you could do it on the Strom, but it's a long way from nowhere if you get hurt. Instead go through Ketchum or Mackay via Trail Creek road. It's much more Strom friendly.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "

FloorPoor screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 08:41 PM
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #816
Metalcarver
Geezer Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
P.S. If you plan on riding to Copper Basin solo, DON'T go over Antelope pass on the Wee, it's a rocky bugger in some places. (it's also one of my favorites ) I think with a moderate degree of dirt experience, and a wing man, you could do it on the Strom, but it's a long way from nowhere if you get hurt. Instead go through Ketchum or Mackay via Trail Creek road. It's much more Strom friendly.
Ya, Antelope Pass was my first choice and ya, covered the part about getting hurt in the mudiddle of nowhere when my XR650L landed on me in the Yukon down the Nahanni Range Road. Concussion (helmet on),3 broke ribs, hip point crush & mashed ankle. I look like robo-cop nowadays.

Burma Road was my second choice. And wanted to try crossing Craters through Laidlaw Park to Carey. Was in Alaska for 34 years and it's a beautiful place but sucks for dirt rides. The haul road is a superhighway for trucks. Same with the Dumpster. And both are treacherous when wet. So spent many of my 7 month bike-lock-down winters wishing for better rides. Be careful what you wish for - you may get it. My dream time bucket list (partial).

Escape from Idaho
Old 08-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #817
Metalcarver
Geezer Berserker

Should paste this slideshow somewhere in IF...
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...ers/23188.html

Escape from Idaho
Old 08-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #818
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Laidlaw park out to Carey is good fun, and it's not terribly rough, just a few loose sections. I was able to run out that way this spring. I was also fortunate enough to have the time to run the Magruder in June, along with many more dirt tracks. My friend and I were the first ones through this year. If I ever run it that early again I'm bringing a chainsaw, and maybe a snow shovel. There was a 10 mile stretch that took 4 hours and lots of sweat getting two overloaded KLR's over, around, and even under many downed trees

I haven't been over Antelope this year yet, I hope I get the time before the weather turns. If I do I will definitely shoot you a PM. I probably won't have the time off til mid September, maybe NO days off at all til then. But if I get a free day to ride I'll be in touch.

Have you checked out some of the roads Southeast from IF? If you run the north side of the Blackfoot reservoir (it's a fast fun road, but be cautious, there are a couple corners that will sneak up you and one will dump you off a 50' embankment right into the res.) and out to Wayan, you can head south from there to Montpelier, all good roads for the Strom.

I agree about the shorts and flip flop riders, I don't think most of them realize just how quickly things can go badly. Most of them look at me like I'm the tool, in my ballistic jersey and high viz vest But if I get hurt, I can't work, and if I can't work, my family suffers. My wife's cousin's husband is in a coma right now because of an ATV accident on Saturday. Severe head trauma because of no helmet. He's probably not gonna make it, and if he does, his career as a pilot is over, as he will have severe brain damage. I feel badly for her, but at least they don't have kids yet. I wish more people would put on at least basic gear!

Have fun and ride safe!

Old 08-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #819
Metalcarver
Geezer Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
My wife's cousin's husband is in a coma right now because of an ATV accident on Saturday. Severe head trauma because of no helmet.

Have fun and ride safe!
Major bad. Not right for a day of fun to end like that. I hope for the best outcome...

Escape from Idaho
Old 08-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #820
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Still in a coma

Old 08-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #821
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Man, that really sucks.

On a brighter note, I'm going to do a 300 or so mile loop out to Jackson and around, kind of my last hurrah before I go back to school on Weds.

Will be leaving from Blackfoot probably around 9 ish on Monday morning if anyone wants to tag along.

-Charles De Mar.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #822
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

So much for my goal this year... Only made it 100 miles into my ride today.

Ride started out great. Roads were clear, found a fun little detour, clearish skys, nice weather. Had a little niggling feeling though that maybe I should head home, get some stuff done, and save this for another day.

Nah, it'll be fine.

15 miles later. Did I hit something or did the tire fail!?

3 hours later, thanks to some family that lived sorta nearby, we got the beast loaded in the back of his BRAND new pickup, which made it a pain because we had no ramp and he didn't want to scratch his new truck.

Made it home, but I think the bike'll be down for a while... Can't afford a new tire right now.

Guess I'll just have to ride 'ole paint.

*sigh*. Back to school I go...

-Charles De Mar.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #823
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Bummer about the flat, I HATE when that happens. It's hard to tell from the pic if you hit something or not? How old was the tire (you would probably have to check date codes to find out) Maybe an old tire and just the right piece of chip seal?

I'm currently running a rear that I got for a bargain price as it was old stock (mfg date 2007) It turns out there is no such thing as a good deal when it comes to old tires! It started throwing center knobs after a few hundred miles, and is now completely shot after just 3k. My experiences with the same tire have been much better (no knob loss and almost 5k miles)

Sorry your end of summer ride was a bust, better luck during harvest break

Old 08-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #824
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

We don't get spud harvest... But we start later than most districts around here.

Bought the tire from motorcyclesuperstore last summer, I'd have to check but I think its got around 8,000 miles on it. Getting pretty square but if you look in the chunk of tire thats missing there is still quite a bit of rubber before the cords. .

-Charles De Mar.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #825
Metalcarver
Geezer Berserker

So, Anyone up for an early morning tour of the eastern foothills this Saturday?
Thinking of Skyline trail and back on Brockman road. Or?..... Gotta be back by afternoon....

Thinking that early morning means by 6:30 at Ammon rd and Sunnyside...

Escape from Idaho