ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #136
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post

Oh wait... the car- right.

OK.

We're going two up.......................... in the car.
DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #137
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Update for Saturday, August 17th

Feeling a little better today. Pain not too bad in the leg. However, really getting tired of sitting around the house.

Talked Katy in going for a little ride this afternoon. Not yet ready to ride on my own, so we went two up with Katy in control. I always said that if it ever came to having to ride together using one machine, knowing that Katy would never be a passenger meant that I would have to be the passenger. After a few miles of riding in fear for my life, I settled into my role as spectator and pictures on the fly taker. Didn't get many pictures, but here are the ones I did manage to get.

I did get Katy to stop when I took this picture.

Stayed on all pavement for the ride and managed to make it home alive.

Was far better than sitting in the house watching Saturday TV.

Also got a picture of me leaving the house, ready for our ride

in our fine Ford machine.

Laugh all you want, it was still better than sitting in the house all afternoon. Thank you Katy for taking me for a ride today.
DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #138
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Glad you got out of the house Alan
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #139
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,975
Old 08-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #140
Rainbow007
Boldly going Nowhere

Oddometer: 276
getting out of the house is always good
04 CRF230
11 DR650
Rainbow007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #141
Tom Edison
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,354
A ride is a ride. you each had two wheels on your side
Glad your out for some fresh air.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #142
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,811
A tip..... Get some liquid Vitamin E. Rub it into the incision a couple-three times a day. Minimizes scar tissue and keeps the skin elastic. Helps on everything from skinned elbows to knee rebuilds. DAMHIK.
Get up and running, err walking soon. Sounds like you have a good attitude about your recovery, which is vital.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #143
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,940

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #144
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,875
Wow, just found this thread. Allan, my positive healing thoughts go out to you. Glad the two of you were able to keep it together and get out of there! Thanks for sharing the gory details. Experiences like that make the rest of us think! I can't believe you're already riding again (two up even!). Take care!!

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #145
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Due to pressure from Rocky, guess its time for an update.

Am making steady progress. Getting more movement back into my right leg. Have made steady progress in cutting back on pain meds and have been off the "good" stuff for several days now and am just using OTC Aleve twice a day. Am able to get into and out of the car fairly well on my own and have taken a few short trips in the car on my own. Got a handicap parking permit from the State so I can park close to where I am going. That helps a lot as I still find it difficult to travel very far using my walker. Both of my shoulders are in poor shape (not from this incident, but from various injuries over the years) and the walker puts a lot of pressure on my shoulders so I find it difficult going very far using the walker. Also have trouble with the walker on step ups and step downs and over uneven ground. When taking the car on my own, I can't use my wheel chair as I am unable (at least for now) to get it out of the trunk and set up on my own. The wheel chair is nice for some things such as going a long distance (at least on smooth ground) but it also has it own problems. Am sleeping better as I can move my bad leg enough to be able to roll around while sleeping, which is my normal routine. When I had to sleep on my back only with my leg up on a pillow and was unable to turn over or on my side while in bed made it difficult to sleep.

Yesterday we spent the better part of the day with our brother-in-law. His wife, Katy's sister, had business in Ontario for the day. This trip was the first time the BIL had been to our new home and I was able to give him a tour of the outside and shops. Involved a lot of using the walker over uneven ground. We then went out to lunch with the BIL to the Idaho Pizza in a nearby town. I drove the three of us and was able to park right up front using my permit. Was a little difficult getting around the restaurant with the walker and getting set down at the table, but I managed okay. I was getting fairly uncomfortable sitting at the table and after we finished eating, rather than usual sitting there while visiting, I suggest we get going and visit in the car. We did and I ended up giving the BIL a car tour of the local area. The BIL is a great guy and we had an enjoyable day yesterday.

Yesterday was a nice break from what has become my biggest problem which is boredom. Since I am physically doing better and am able to get around enough to be able to take care of normal basic things such as meals, bathing, dressing and such without a lot of drama, it gets apparent to me on how much I still can't really do and the time can pass really slow. I can only take so much TV and the things I would really like to be doing such as working in my shop on the bikes and other outdoor projects are still out of my reach. Rather than focusing on the progress I am making, it is easy to focus on what I still can't do and feel very down about it. I am not going through anything more than a lot of you reading this have likely gone though at some point in your life. it is just that it has been a long long time since I have had to deal with this serious of an injury and I am not very good at dealing with it. In fact, I am sure I have never had to deal with this sort of thing this long. My last really serious motorcycle incident (in 1986 if I remember correctly) I only missed a week of work. I know it could of been a lot worse, but still does not make it easy to pass each day.

We try to plan a few things to do so I have something to look forward too, but have to balance that with the need to be a little more careful with our spending. Being out of work for at least 3+ months and the loss of that income along with expenses insurance won't cover is forcing us to (for the first time in years) to really consider what we spend. Not being able to ride will save a lot of $$ as I won't be buying tires and other parts to keep all 6 bikes on the road for a while. Riding is a great sport, but can be expensive. To be clear, I am not trying to sound like poor is me as money wise, we will be just fine to get by for normal living, we just won't have a lot of extra play time money. (savings and lack of debt is a wonderful thing)

To sum it up. Physically I feel I am doing good and making steady progress. Mentally, I am going though the normal boredom and feeling down in the dumps. As of now, I still feel we will get through this and things will in due time, get back to normal.

Thanks for reading and taking an interest in my healing.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #146
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Thanks for the update Alan, been watching this one since it first got posted up. You'll be back in the saddle before you know it.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #147
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,417
Hang in there Alan! In my own experience the mental part of being laid up was by far the hardest. I was down for a month with my right knee and I am not one to normally sit around and vegitate. Once I got out of the hospital and back home the temptation to do things I shouldn't was horrible. As they say "Rome wasn't built in a day". Heal well and this will soon be a distant memorie.

Thanks for keeping us updated
Old 08-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #148
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Thanks for the update. Getting around at first was dificult for me, crutches and the coordination required on stairs resulted in me sitting on my ass to get up and down them. Garage was off limits... Boredom was rampant. In other words been there, don't want the T-shirt. I don't have any great advice on how to survive it other than hang in there, you'll get through it.
The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, or experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. DANIEL J. BOORSTIN, attributed, Voyages of Discover
cbmma1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #149
liv2rydktms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Thanx

For the Empathetic, Encouraging, and Supportive posts ADVfriends.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #150
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,643
Do yourself a favor and heal right the first time...
Dig out the maps, dig into the ride reports and scheme and dream. I haven't seen your comments on my last ride... might be a spot or two you haven't been to lately in that report.

The longer I am homebound the grumpier I get.

This will pass and at least you have good compAny to pass the time with...

I might have an idea to help keep you occupied....
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote