User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
gavo OP
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,699
Buying a bike in Cambodia, Thailand or Laos

Planning on returning to S.E. Asia for a 3 or 4 month period and would like to have a bike while there, hire for so long a period would be same cost as buying new or more.
How hard is it to buy a new bike in these counties in your a foreigner (Australian) or Finding a family that would consent to buy bike in their name and then when I'm finished they could have it, win win from what I can see.
What do you think?

gavo screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 03:44 AM
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
isanozz
Total n00b

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
Planning on returning to S.E. Asia for a 3 or 4 month period and would like to have a bike while there, hire for so long a period would be same cost as buying new or more.
How hard is it to buy a new bike in these counties in your a foreigner (Australian) or Finding a family that would consent to buy bike in their name and then when I'm finished they could have it, win win from what I can see.
What do you think?
Hi mate. First post for me as I just signed up to try & help you a bit with this if I can. I live here up in the country & am on my 3rd bike now all bought locally from a guy I know very well who owns a dealership.
For me the first bike went under my ex's name but had it changed to my mates shop name just before things fell apart with her. The current 2 bikes are also in his shops name because I know him & trust him. This has been the easiest way for me to have a bike here.

I guess first of all what sort of bike do you want?

Scooters will be alot easier to get hold of than a bigger bike & a majority of Honda shops here don't go bigger than 250cbr's.

You would really need to know a family well here to have them sign anything for you because of their financial situations...I get the win win side of it but the Thai mind doesn't really work like that very often.

I recently met a guy that paid 5k baht for a months rent on a scooter & he went from bkk up north to Chiang mai, across through the nth east & back to bkk again(all the long way) on the little 110cc scoot but thats not my idea of a long & comfortable ride. The longest I did on my little bike was 400km & it went well but was very uncomfortable & limited with what I could Carry with me.
I did rent a big bike in Chiang Mai a while back & it was over 1k/day so thats going to end up pretty expensive & you have to be really careful of who you rent from in case of a damage scam, especially in places south like Bkk & Pataya.

So I guess the things to consider are, what size bike you want, what you want to take with you, how much you want to pay then can tackle the big question of how to get it.
isanozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
gavo OP
Slacker

Thanks for the reply, as I will have a pillion(wife) I was thinking 200 to 250cc it doesn't have to be fast just decent suspension even if I spend some on springs. and a road trail would be preferable. The scam thing is what I'm trying to avoid and nowdays Thailand gets more than it's fair share of publicity in that regard, but it seems to be the most industrialised , good and westernised, bad.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Eeesh!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hey Gavo-
I have been in Lao for about a year and a half and have had 3 motorbikes. None of them have been in any way legal. Just bought them cash and never worried about any licensing or paperwork. It seems to be the most popular method here. If you will be crossing borders you would need to go another route...

In Vientiane during tourist season it is quite easy to pick up a shitty Honda Win copy with Vietnamese plates for around 100-300usd from backpackers who just need to get rid of their bikes before they get on a plane. Ugly, but solid little bikes and fairly comfortable by SEA standards. If you will be spending a lot of time in rural areas I would strongly suggest you get a common/simple bike as there is absolutely no access to parts outside of VTE (or even in the city really).

Outside of Lao I can't really offer any advice about motos.

Enjoy the trip!
Eeesh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
gavo OP
Slacker

Thanks Eeeesh, I thought about that or even just buying a bike in each country but I'd like to stick with one bike and that will mean border crossings which makes things harder. I'll do more research, I've yet to trawl GT riders forums.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Yasmarbi
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Gavo, I'm just back from nearly 12 months living in mid thailand (Phitsanulok) and will be returning there in November.
Do know of a mate, an ex Brisbane boy, who is currently looking to offload his V-Strom (with Oz rego) as he's now more comfortable on a Honda 125cc Wave.
Gary shipped his '07 Strom to Malaysia 2 yrs ago and lives in Chiang Mai.
250's are harder than chinese algebra to get hold of unless there full on dirt bikes.
In my time I haven't found a decent all rounder so I just upgraded the springs on my Wave ($40 for the best YSS I could find), a set of Michelin M62's ($40) is best for dual purpose unless you want to ride on knobbies, a look a like Givi top box and rack $50, and I've put 11000k's on my Wave averaging 60k/litre mostly 2 up - Cheap motoring. The FI wave was $1700 brand new - with disc brake front end and electric start. The wave will do the ton but I'm comfortable sitting on 80k. Too much nonsense around me to warrant going faster - except parts of the MHS loop or on the #1184.
Apart from gt riders there is also group whose name escapes me at present - based is at riders corner cafe, NE corner of old city, Chiang Mai.
Riding into Loas and Cambodia is easy but Myanmar and Vietnam are hole new struggles.
PM if interested in following up.
Ian

Yasmarbi screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 09:07 AM
Yasmarbi is offline   Reply With Quote