ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #436
ridesdirt
Ya, it's a bimmer

Oddometer: 147
Did you notice the front end loader on Beech Hill Road right before you enter RT 23 by the bridge construction? On my Sunday ride the back end of the loader was sticking out quite far and the oncoming traffic from RT 23 was right in your lane heading North to the intersection.

Just a reminder to be careful in this area and be very aware of the traffic
coming towards you. NOBODY STOPS!!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #437
Mr Bill
Old Dog

Oddometer: 185
Thumb A few construction sites along TMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesdirt View Post
Did you notice the front end loader on Beech Hill Road right before you enter RT 23 by the bridge construction? On my Sunday ride the back end of the loader was sticking out quite far and the oncoming traffic from RT 23 was right in your lane heading North to the intersection.

Just a reminder to be careful in this area and be very aware of the traffic
coming towards you. NOBODY STOPS!!!!

They were working and had a traffic cop there that waved us through.

Nobody tried to run me off the road yesterday. Very little traffic. Well one dual wheel pickup with Florida plates that didn't want to pull over on a narrow dual track road. He pulled over after I got in his face though.

Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #438
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,339
Weekday riding is the key
Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #439
Mr Bill
Old Dog

Thumb TMT trail is a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Wheel Drive View Post
We hit a whole bunch of dirt roads with orange "Road Closed" signs posted at their beginnings

The only really closed road that we hit was from 8A in Hawley, Hallockville Rd was gated closed for some reason. Little sign said something about forest conditions? Also Old River Rd in Cummington (on the official TMT) is barricaded.

In any case, if you are looking to make the TMT into a loop, I highly recommend Mr Bill's TMT alternate.
OneWheelDrv

It was great riding with you again! I fixed up the map to take out the closed sections. I don't know why, but I seemed more sore than riding 200 miles in VT on the PDR. Are the roads smoother in VT?

Mr B

Here is MassKLR

Old 08-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #440
mahall
n00b

Oddometer: 2
What type of GPSs do you guys use to guide you along this trail? Is there a way to load it on to a Android phone somehow?
mahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #441
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

I have a (relatively old now) Garmin zumo 550. I still believe it is the best GPS that Garmin ever made for use on a motorcycle, but that could start another whole debate. I await a (better) replacement with bated breath.

The TMT (and VT Puppy Chow) routes will run on any garmin GPS running the North America series street maps, except in a very few short and insignificant sections. I happen to also have the NA topos running on my zumo when needed (another long discussion no doubt) but I would imagine that any semi-enterprising techno dweeb with a 'droid or iPhone would be able to navigate these routes with relative ease.

These are not off-piste, bushwackin' routes. They are just a series of pleasant dirt roads, some more well maintained than others, but the vast majority are easily navigable in a Buick Roadmaster Convertible (at the right speed).

The fun, my friend... is in the speed.

1 Wheel Drive screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 03:34 PM
1 Wheel Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #442
ctoldie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Wheel Drive View Post
I was along for the day with Mr Bill yesterday. I'm actually one of the 4 in that picture, praying to the GPS gods that Mr Bill didn't get us too lost to be home for dinner.

I've got to pipe up to say here that the return leg (the alternate to the TMT) that we ran yesterday to make it a loop was every bit as good as (maybe even better than, in some sections) the "official" TMT.

We hit a whole bunch of dirt roads with orange "Road Closed" signs posted at their beginnings, but being old and stubborn we'd press on and the roads would turn out to be somewhat maintained (locally no doubt) and quite nice for a dual sport bike. We were thinking that they may post the "Closed" signs to limit liability or something? They were definitely not closed.

The only really closed road that we hit was from 8A in Hawley, Hallockville Rd was gated closed for some reason. Little sign said something about forest conditions? Also Old River Rd in Cummington (on the official TMT) is barricaded.

In any case, if you are looking to make the TMT into a loop, I highly recommend Mr Bill's TMT alternate.

River Rd in Cummington is no longer barricaded. While I did not ride the TMT today, River Rd was part of my ride. Is Hallockville Rd on the TMT? It's not on my TMT routesheet, but it may have been updated at some point.

Mr Bill: Do you have a route sheet of your TMT Loop Ride? If so, would appreciate a copy.
ctoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #443
Mr Bill
Old Dog

Thumb Blasting off on the TMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoldie View Post
Is Hallockville Rd on the TMT? It's not on my TMT routesheet, but it may have been updated at some point.

Mr Bill: Do you have a route sheet of your TMT Loop Ride? If so, would appreciate a copy.

Hallockville Rd is not on the TMT. You won't be crashing any gates on this ride. Hallockville is posted no vehicles and state park? We turned around at that gate.

I don't do route sheets.

So there is no tree blocking River Rd now? That is good to hear.

Mr Bill screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 06:35 PM
Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #444
ctoldie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
So there is no tree blocking River Rd now? That is good to hear.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

There is nothing blocking River Rd.
ctoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #445
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Yeah sorry... It was a downed tree not a barricade on River Rd. I had my road closures confusdicated
Old 08-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #446
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 334
Anyone on here with a Husqvarna TR650 riding near the TMT in Otis on Sunday?
I ride various portions of the southern-ish section of the TMT probably more than once a week (I live close), and I NEVER see any other bikes on it. I saw the Husky a few miles away from the TMT, so thought maybe it was someone on here.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #447
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,383
Quiet on the TMT this summer ?
Come on fellas, lets have some pics and ride reports

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #448
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
I ride various portions of the southern-ish section of the TMT probably more than once a week (I live close), and I NEVER see any other bikes on it.
On weekends I've seen riders who appeared to be running the TMT.

It's been a concern of mine when I used to trailboss for our club that we used a lot of the same stuff for dualsport rides and we didn't want the route to get overloaded and generate hatred toward motorcycles riding too fast past people's houses. In particular there are at least two home that have horses that they like to ride on the road. One family is friendly and while they want bike to stop are not hostile.

The other woman has yelled at me and other riders during our events. When I found out the TMT when right past her house I thought it was funny in a way. But if she gripes to the town enough about speeding or loud motorcycles, she might manage to get the road closed and barricaded just past her house, which would cut off that part of the route.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #449
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,383
Yes. Absolute respect must be given. Just imagine if it were your home. I don't blame them for the concern.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #450
Mr Bill
Old Dog

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
have horses that they like to ride on the road.
Horses, hikers, bicyclist have the right of way. I've fallen off a lot of horses. Seems to always hurt.

If possible I stop the bike and take off my helmet to calm the horse. Especially if little kids are riding. Otherwise I slow way down and look for the rider to waive me by. Don't go flying by horses!