ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #106
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanningOz View Post
The power, whilst strong seems to taper off too soon leaving you wanting more as revs climb above 9k. The TC is painful when trying to ride fast on a mountain road, and should be less aggressive in sports mode giving you more wheelspin and/or letting you hold up the front for longer. Feels like a friendly policeman is inside the bike preventing you having the real fun.

Brakes could be more powerful, and side stand better. Luggage options are sub quality, especially when compared against BMW gear. Not sure about the bar bend either. Will probably get a slightly higher, drawn forward bend.

Apart from that, my Adv R is good and I'm really enjoying it. After 1,500kms, I think it's a very quick overgrown dirt bike, which is exactly the way I had hoped it would be.
Your certainly the first one ive heard that's complained about the power ;)

What your explaining is exactly what was built into this engine though, they took some power away from the top end (rc8r style) and increased the torque for it to be more dirt orientated.. After riding an F650 800 twin for as long sa I have I love the power increase ;)

You sound like you ride it hard, so a good person to ask this, if you give it to it in sports with Traction on, will it just hold there in the air during a wheelie or can it go past the balance point? Seems that the traction isnt as intrusive in the later part of 2nd to 3rd gear.. as thats when it always decides to surprise me n pop ;)
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #107
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Your certainly the first one ive heard that's complained about the power ;)

What your explaining is exactly what was built into this engine though, they took some power away from the top end (rc8r style) and increased the torque for it to be more dirt orientated.. After riding an F650 800 twin for as long sa I have I love the power increase ;)

You sound like you ride it hard, so a good person to ask this, if you give it to it in sports with Traction on, will it just hold there in the air during a wheelie or can it go past the balance point? Seems that the traction isnt as intrusive in the later part of 2nd to 3rd gear.. as thats when it always decides to surprise me n pop ;)
No, it doesn't hold the front up even in sports mode. It cuts the power and puts the front back on the ground. Same in second and third - is somewhat frustrating and I would like to work out how to get around it. Would be good to have TC when bike is leaning over hard, but still be able to lift the front any time you want when the bike has straightened up a bit.

I'm really not complaining about the power, only to say that it tapers off above 9k when you want it to keep going.

Keep in mind that I do really like this bike, but this thread specifically asks for what you don't like.
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #108
Barekat
Looking to get dirty

Oddometer: 236
The TC will be useful in Ontario where the cops will take your bike for spinning the rear wheel or doing wheelies or standing on the begs for any reason.

If you stretch your legs (stand up) while on the tarmac the cops take your bike.

Nice police state we live in eh?
1984 GPz550
1973 CB350
Barekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #109
barbadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barekat View Post
If you stretch your legs (stand up) while on the tarmac the cops take your bike.

Nice police state we live in eh?

We are probably the only country where bikes must be in 100 HP (if you want to ride legally, not my case ) but we can stretch our legs
barbadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #110
Barekat
Looking to get dirty

Oddometer: 236
Don't come to Ontario expecting any fun. ;)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275080
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadv View Post

We are probably the only country where bikes must be in 100 HP (if you want to ride legally, not my case ) but we can stretch our legs
1984 GPz550
1973 CB350
Barekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #111
AdvIvan
Rock on!

Oddometer: 104
I've ha issues with:

- EDS failure
- Coolant leakage (loose hose to radiator!!)
- Battery depletion
- Muffler vibrates in its holder, can't be tightened
- Engine start troubles

- Wind buffeting
- Key in awkward spot
- Original bags locks keep failing, too much plastics!
- Some heat
- Poor sound

I can easily live with all of the above, but the HORN!! Why oh why did they use that horn?!!
AdvIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:32 AM   #112
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanningOz View Post
No, it doesn't hold the front up even in sports mode. It cuts the power and puts the front back on the ground. Same in second and third - is somewhat frustrating and I would like to work out how to get around it. Would be good to have TC when bike is leaning over hard, but still be able to lift the front any time you want when the bike has straightened up a bit.

I'm really not complaining about the power, only to say that it tapers off above 9k when you want it to keep going.

Keep in mind that I do really like this bike, but this thread specifically asks for what you don't like.
Now I have the bad fuel dongle fitted, I'm just leaving it in Sport mode with the traction control off.
The TC caught me out recently. Had nailed it in 1st out of some lights using Sport mode. It did it's little wheelie. I kept it nailed and snicked 2nd as I split between a couple of cars.
It wheelied again as I was lane changing and nearly put me into the median strip.
I figured once it had dumbed down the power from the first wheelie it would keep it dumbed down, but a gear change seems to reset it.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #113
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269

Coming from Byron Bay this Sunday after a quick stop, the speedometer suddenly stop working!. the ODO, ABS and THC stops as well ! The screen was like a Christmas tree! On my way home, I just relied on my GPS speedometer but suffering all the way back, because I remembered a post from Umitc saying something about the speed difference between the bike and the GPS.. And I only have 3 points left on my licence!
So, first think Monday morning I left the bike at the dealer... Honestly, as some one else mentioned on a few posts before, I'm not quite sure about the competence of the mechanics with this bike.. I just feel like a "guinea pig"... An expensive one!
Anyway, I will post the result of this issue. My plan is to ride as much as possible in order to reveal any issue the bike may have until the warranty expires!. I'm going to South America next year... I need to cover "all bases"
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #114
Alan Idler
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvIvan View Post
but the HORN!! Why oh why did they use that horn?!!
The horn is OK part. It is only tightened too hard. Yesterday I took it visible and changed it's original fixing nut for nylon locking one. I tightened it and tested and tightened more and tested..... Now there comes a proper sound.
Alan Idler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:54 AM   #115
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
Now I have the bad fuel dongle fitted, I'm just leaving it in Sport mode with the traction control off.
The TC caught me out recently. Had nailed it in 1st out of some lights using Sport mode. It did it's little wheelie. I kept it nailed and snicked 2nd as I split between a couple of cars.
It wheelied again as I was lane changing and nearly put me into the median strip.
I figured once it had dumbed down the power from the first wheelie it would keep it dumbed down, but a gear change seems to reset it.
Thanks Pete.

I did exactly the same thing today, as well as tightening the suspension up significantly and it transformed the bike. The TC really does interfere too much, and with only 150hp and a very controllable power curve, you don't really need it.

Once unleashed, felt fantastic hammering through the mountain roads. Effortless wheel stands, easy to break traction out of corners - but still keeping control. KTM really have built a brilliant bike.

I understand why KTM have installed TC, but it feels too much like an unnecessary net nanny. I came home and washed a couple of the bikes, then went for a dry off ride on my S1000RR, and it's got a super strong power hit that is nowhere near as controlled as the KTM, and it really does need TC just to stay on it.

After the changes to the suspension and turning off the TC, I'm struggling to criticise it at all.

Well done KTM.
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #116
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
I am in Stelvio at the moment; really no heat rises from the engine. :-))))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #117
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
whoopsie.. I find it even pops up in street mode with traction on.. When i took off giving it a little to play with a gsx-r and as it hit 3rd in this configuration it popped up about 3 feet.. i felt confused but kept the power on thinking its not supposed to do this.. but it did n dropped back down..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #118
AdvIvan
Rock on!

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
whoopsie.. I find it even pops up in street mode with traction on.. When i took off giving it a little to play with a gsx-r and as it hit 3rd in this configuration it popped up about 3 feet.. i felt confused but kept the power on thinking its not supposed to do this.. but it did n dropped back down..
Mine doesn't pop in STREET. In SPORT it raises a couple of cm/inches and then drops again. Check your sensors maybe?
AdvIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #119
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillberg375 View Post
That I've had mine almost a week and haven't yet ridden it.
I'm getting great fuel economy though.
LOL...nice one
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #120
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
In any mode, if you give it a fist full from a standing start it will climb really high... high enough for me to close the throttle. At speed though mine will not lift in street mode (as expected) but in sport mode it will lift the front in the first three gears and hold it a few inches off the ground until i change gear. Its certainly entertaining having an adventure bike that smokes half of the sports bikes on the road.
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote