ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #25531
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's my friends fucked up pinky lol.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #25532
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,098
Cat Herders! Greetings from Richmond. Quick question some of you may have an answer to:

I signed up for the Shenandoah 500, I was going to tent camp but this weekend, my wife and kids stated that they want to tag along in the RV and hang out at the campground during the day. Does anyone know if historically there have been other kids/families hanging out during the day. Are there things to do in the Mt. Solon? I see that they have a playground and some trails at the campground. I just don't want them getting bored. (They can always throw in a DVD and kick back on the sofa in the RV, or play with the iPods, but that defeats the purpose of camping)
If I take my DRZ instead of the 800GS, which I will probably do, I may let one of the kids ride pillon for a while. Does the route typically take you far from the campground or could I feasibly take one of my kids for a 1-2 hour ride and drop them back off at the campground with mom?
Thanks!
Eddy
Old 08-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #25533
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Cat Herders! Greetings from Richmond. Quick question some of you may have an answer to:

I signed up for the Shenandoah 500, I was going to tent camp but this weekend, my wife and kids stated that they want to tag along in the RV and hang out at the campground during the day. Does anyone know if historically there have been other kids/families hanging out during the day. Are there things to do in the Mt. Solon? I see that they have a playground and some trails at the campground. I just don't want them getting bored. (They can always throw in a DVD and kick back on the sofa in the RV, or play with the iPods, but that defeats the purpose of camping)
If I take my DRZ instead of the 800GS, which I will probably do, I may let one of the kids ride pillon for a while. Does the route typically take you far from the campground or could I feasibly take one of my kids for a 1-2 hour ride and drop them back off at the campground with mom?
Thanks!
Eddy
I went once. It was a great ride. It starts at a regular family campground with all the amenities and is very full of families. The ride , when I did it went a long way from the campground and continued to get farther away till the mid point and then started looping back. Not particularly good for taking along a passenger with the idea of dropping them off and continuing.

If I was going again and had the choice of bikes you mention, the 400 would be coming with and the 800 would be resting comfortably at home.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #25534
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,305
Quote:

Thanks!
Eddy
Answering from Richmond. I have seen other families and kids at the campgrounds during the event. Not a lot, but some. You can ride your kids around the area as long as they meet the same street legal requirements. But the loop generally runs away for half a day then back the other half, so if you're going to run the route with the pack, better have the kid commit for the day or else go woods exploring with mom then go for a ride in the evening. That's pretty much a no-brainer to take the DRZ unless you're looking for a trophy that says you can work a big beemer through the course and make it out the same day not too badly banged up. As for the kids, what to do / being bored, that's really only up to the imaginations of the kids and where the parents lead them. If they go to the campground take a quick look around and decide they're bored, "throw in a DVD and kick back on the sofa in the RV, or play with the iPods", then chances are they will lead a boring life of obesity. And to say "that defeats the purpose of camping" while bringing them to a full facility in an RV then leaving them for the day is something I find humor in. Maybe the best time for daddy to take mommy and the kids "camping" is when he can spend the full time with them teaching them about nature, survival, the outdoors, and enjoying life together - which is what really builds kids' character. Disculpe lo terco. Ojala todo eso les ayuda y que Dios les acompañe.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #25535
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 769
Quote:

Thanks!
Eddy
The CG is also close to Todd Lake, which has some good trails and a like to swim in, if its warm enough.....

Mt Solon is a 4 way intersection with stop signs and a broke down fire engine, so not much "to do" there.

There's also Stokesvilles CG, which has a small observatory, I think. Don't know much about it though.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #25536
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
If I was going again and had the choice of bikes you mention, the 400 would be coming with and the 800 would be resting comfortably at home.
That's what I'm thinking too, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Disculpe lo terco.
No offense taken, I have been blessed with two very fit, active, outdoor loving kids. who decided that they wanted to tag along with Papi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post
The CG is also close to Todd Lake, which has some good trails and a like to swim in, if its warm enough.
Thank you for the info...swimming near Mt. Solon in October could be very "refreshing"!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #25537
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
The Frontier Culture Museum and some other kid-friendly stuff in Satunton may be up their alley. Wrights Dairy Rite has good ol fashioned greasy burgers and milkshakes. The Massanutten indoor Wave Park is only about 45 min away and good for a full day of exhausting little ones. Depending on the weather, the leaves may be beautiful at some places up that way. They could also ride the ski lift to the top for the view and hike down.

That can only keep kids entertained so long though.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #25538
HBN OP
is car free

My Rella's RR

Old 08-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #25539
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,327
Nice ride report HBN but i'm EDDIE BOLTED not JEFF B

Whether I'm 12 or whether I'm 64, spend my time like there ain't gonna be no more. (MONTROSE...MAKE IT LAST)
eddie bolted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #25540
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
Say hello to my new girl!

Dang it, Man! This makes me want to trade my WRR for a Versys.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #25541
twohawks
Not Afraid

Oddometer: 2,639
Wicked Wow

Sexy lookin' bike there Denis!

Utah and Colorado 2010 Ride Report
CAT HERDER'S
BWDR
SMIBS

2008 KLR650
1984 GL1200I GoldWing Interstate
Human Power'd two wheel machine - 2001 StumpJumper Pro Hardtail
CMA ><>
GWRRA
twohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #25542
HBN OP
is car free

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bolted View Post
Nice ride report HBN but i'm EDDIE BOLTED not JEFF B
I knew that
Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #25543
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,661
Must be foggy East of the Blue Ridge.

This is looking out my driveway Southeast towards Browntown Valley. That house in the foreground was built about 5 years ago in the middle of my only view. At least its, for the most, part below the close ridge line. South Fork of the Shenandoah is about 900' behind and 100' below the house.

You can see the fog slithering over the ridge top. Dickey Ridge on the left, Hogback Mountain on the right. This pic doesn't do it justice.
I've been up there at night when this was occurring. In one area on the drive the road is cut into the side of a 45° slope that has been cleared of trees. You can ride under the fog rising up(and eventually over the ridge) the contour of the ridge and watch it rise as your riding under it. I need to try and get some video of that sometime. Its pretty cool!

I have no clue as to what the Orange light is on the side of the ridge. Its not the camera. I noticed it when I looked at the photo. Wasn't there before or after. Maybe its an alien underground portal! That reminds me, wheres my tin foil hat...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #25544
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,418
By brother had a house on the lower side of Dicky Ridge. All you had to do was walk out the back door and start climbing.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #25545
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
This is looking out my driveway Southeast towards Browntown Valley. That house in the foreground was built about 5 years ago in the middle of my only view. At least its, for the most, part below the close ridge line. South Fork of the Shenandoah is about 900' behind and 100' below the house.

You can see the fog slithering over the ridge top. Dickey Ridge on the left, Hogback Mountain on the right. This pic doesn't do it justice.
I've been up there at night when this was occurring. In one area on the drive the road is cut into the side of a 45° slope that has been cleared of trees. You can ride under the fog rising up(and eventually over the ridge) the contour of the ridge and watch it rise as your riding under it. I need to try and get some video of that sometime. Its pretty cool!

I have no clue as to what the Orange light is on the side of the ridge. Its not the camera. I noticed it when I looked at the photo. Wasn't there before or after. Maybe its an alien underground portal! That reminds me, wheres my tin foil hat...
I'd like to see that fog rising while riding underneath! Maybe the orange light is a reflection of the low sun behind the camera off something on the ridge. I think I can see where you're looking from. Is there a pond back beyond that house?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote