Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #31
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmJOE View Post
Thanks for the answers. How about using Michelin desert tires front and rear? Is the rear to wide for the stock 450x wheels? Or is the high price that keeps the riders from using them? I used them on my rallye bikes and never had any issues or flats. They also last very long. Sorry guys for all this questions but I never raced desert here in US and I would like to use what has been proven to work and what most people use.

I think Michelin stopped making the large desert tires and have moved toward a 450 tire with their rally tires.. not sure of the name
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 10:38 AM
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #32
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Thanks for the answers. How about using Michelin desert tires front and rear? Is the rear to wide for the stock 450x wheels? Or is the high price that keeps the riders from using them? I used them on my rallye bikes and never had any issues or flats. They also last very long. Sorry guys for all this questions but I never raced desert here in US and I would like to use what has been proven to work and what most people use.
They fit FINE!!!! I have used them since back 1985
I have two brand new 140/80/18 Desert tires I will sell
I also have a few Bibs also
send me a PM
Old 07-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #33
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
If anyone needs crew, particularly in the northern part of the course, send me a PM. I still can't ride a bike so I'm pretty bored these days.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #34
AngryShawn OP
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
I would like to use what has been proven to work and what most people use.
If I recall correctly, the 739 rear with a uhd tube/slime or a bib has been used by Honda in Baja for years now. In the small amount of racing that I have done, they have held up very well for me and continue to be my preferred rear tire.
Don't think you can go wrong with either the MX51 or 71 in the front...

That all being said, tire choice is like oil choice, there is no 'right' one, just the right one for you!
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #35
BigBearJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Footer View Post
Question for you guys - In your opinion how does this race compare to other races (Baja 500, Nat H&H, Norra) from a racer's perspective?

-ie fun factor, price/value, race terrain, accessibility (to event and for pit crews), safety, bad-ass-ness factor ha

I'm just trying to get a lay of the land. V2R is the Longest Off-Road Race in the US which is badass!
First off I'll start with my disclaimer. I am about to brag about and revel in my past glories. I consider my race record in the Vegas to Reno to be one of the top highlights of my entire amateur racing career.

I raced and crossed the finish line in the first seven Vegas to Reno races, starting in 1996. The first was done as part of a three-man team but the final six were all solo ironman. So just to put a point on that, that's six, consecutive solo finishes in a one-day 500+ mile race across the Nevada desert. It's likely that some type of unofficial record and I would love to see someone take on the challenge of topping it.

I've always loved the concept and the actuality of spending all day racing a motorcycle. But those first few years were brutal on my body. I was completely pummeled by the time I finished which was usually several hours after dark and after around 16 hours in the saddle. In the later years my speed and skill had improved enough that I was able to finish in daylight and feel relatively decent afterwords.

I always treated it as a race, not a casual trail ride, but with that said, the dust first thing in the morning is absolutely insane and you really can throw your whole race away in the first hour or so. Just be patient at first and wait till people start to spread out and the dust becomes manageable before you worry about making any challenging passes. It is obviously a long day and many guys will do the work for you by taking themselves out either with physical exhaustion, crashes, or mechanical issues. Keep your head, maintain a comfortable steady pace, and just focus on moving forward all the time.

Try to keep slowly sipping water all day. And try to eat just a little bit of food at the pit stops. Maybe a power gel, pieces of energy bar, some grapes or Apple slices. Whatever's relatively healthy, full of energy, and easy to put down in a few bites.

Unless you're absolutely sure you're an upper tier racer, bring a good headlight because you most likely will be riding after dark. All your hard work and effort will get thrown out the window if you try to ride an hour or two (or six) with poor lighting.

But most of all, just glory in the fact that you live in this great country that still allows you to spend all day flying your motorcycle across the desert!

Six time consecutive Vegas to Reno Ironman finisher. Lover of desert motorcycle racing. Now navigating the world via power wheelchair.
BigBearJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #36
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
I think Michelin stopped making the large desert tires and have moved toward a 450 tire with their rally tires.. not sure of the name
The tire was indeed redesigned for the 450cc bikes. It's new name is "Michelin Desert Race".

They do fit on a 450X. One trick is to install a roller on the swingarm to prevent "inward" slop on the chain and the subsequent catching on the side knobs. It's easy--you just install another 450x upper chain roller oriented vertically on the swingarm. Here's the one on my 450X.

Dave
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #37
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Posted by baja nikki on FB

Double triple check ur room reservations for the V2R multiple ppl including myself having issues with confirmation at the Grand Sierra
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 08-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #38
AngryShawn OP
Punchbowl Pooper

Maps posted:
http://bitd.com/item/38-vegas-to-reno-2013-maps.html

The last couple years we've shared contact info among the member teams running the race.
If you are competing and want to share your info, let me know, I'm happy to compile and distribute.
I'll need:
rider name(s) and adv name(s)
support crew name(s)
race number
contact info
chase vehicle description
bike make/model
radio freq (if you have one)
email address(es)
tracker links (if you are using one)
Old 08-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #39
chip
Follow Me

Oddometer: 1,763
same as last 3 years.

AM-O. #398.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #40
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

via annoucer dude

Hang loose. N1. and N2
Are in heated discussion with casey N2. Now the winner by 6 seconds. Burson. Morrow overall

N1 is Robby Bell and Dave Pearson

wrk2surf screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 03:15 PM
Old 08-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
zack05
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I'm at pit 14 Weeks. Top 5 or 6 bikes thru, but I missed them. (Just got here).
zack05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #42
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack05 View Post
I'm at pit 14 Weeks. Top 5 or 6 bikes thru, but I missed them. (Just got here).

Winners by 6 seconds Morrow and Burson over Bell and Pearson.. what a finish with no pre running

Hey!!
Keep an eye out for Chip 398 and my French buddy Yvan on yellow plate 094 a honda
Old 08-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #43
AngryShawn OP
Punchbowl Pooper

Bike/Quad/UTV prelim results: http://bitd.com/item/download/200_21...acc4aedcf.html

ADV rider results - Please post any others I may have missed
Chip - 4th Open AM
Ray03 - 7th IM AM
AngryShawn - 8th IM AM

Car/Truck prelim results: http://bitd.com/item/download/199_dd...a07d01385.html

AngryShawn screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 12:41 AM
Old 08-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #44
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Way to go Ray and Shawn!
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #45
chip
Follow Me

Oddometer: 1,763
This was probably the most fun I've had racing so far. Got a front flat 10 miles after I left pit 9. Still had 36 miles to go. I knew our podium finish was out the door, but we still had fun. Not a scratch. I think this is my 4th - 4th place finish in a row.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote