ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #1531
Pops of the desert
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Washoe Valley Nevada
Oddometer: 82
Big screen

Tried the cutoff (about 1.5 inches) made it worse. Put the touring screen on and love it, only problem is sigt line when in the dirt. Riding in the trees is the worst, combination of sight line and shadows, just concentrate on looking farther ahead over the windshield like we should be.
Pops of the desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #1532
cookymonsta
Adventurer
 
cookymonsta's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Townsville, Qld, Australia
Oddometer: 30
I've read a heap of this very long thread. I guess it effects everyone differently mainly to do with height. I am 6"1'. .approx 188cm. Anyone similar height with a successful fix. If I shrug it's okay and if I sit up very straight I'm almost in clean air.
__________________
nOOb to Adventure biking. First road bike picking up Aug 12' - KTM 990 Adv R. 13' 6days KTM 450EXC (on order),
12'Triumph Steve McQueen (4kms so far)
08'Husky TE450, 05'CRF 250x - taking up space
cookymonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #1533
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Back in sunny So. Cal!
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookymonsta View Post
I've read a heap of this very long thread. I guess it effects everyone differently mainly to do with height. I am 6"1'. .approx 188cm. Anyone similar height with a successful fix. If I shrug it's okay and if I sit up very straight I'm almost in clean air.
I am about your height and have tried many different styles of windscreens in an attempt to keep the wind buffeting to a minimum. The easiest, cheapest and probably most effective tool that I have used in this attempt is the www.saeng.com Micro Swirl Edging (Gen 4). It is all that I use now and offers a cushion for your face should you be unfortunate enough to hit the screen. Give it a go; just might be what you were looking for.

Good luck!
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #1534
cookymonsta
Adventurer
 
cookymonsta's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Townsville, Qld, Australia
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryroten View Post
I am about your height and have tried many different styles of windscreens in an attempt to keep the wind buffeting to a minimum. The easiest, cheapest and probably most effective tool that I have used in this attempt is the www.saeng.com Micro Swirl Edging (Gen 4). It is all that I use now and offers a cushion for your face should you be unfortunate enough to hit the screen. Give it a go; just might be what you were looking for.

Good luck!
had a look and yes will try that. Are you using on the standard screen? did you just order 3ft?
__________________
nOOb to Adventure biking. First road bike picking up Aug 12' - KTM 990 Adv R. 13' 6days KTM 450EXC (on order),
12'Triumph Steve McQueen (4kms so far)
08'Husky TE450, 05'CRF 250x - taking up space
cookymonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #1535
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Back in sunny So. Cal!
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookymonsta View Post
had a look and yes will try that. Are you using on the standard screen? did you just order 3ft?
Yes, standard screen and 3'.
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #1536
cookymonsta
Adventurer
 
cookymonsta's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Townsville, Qld, Australia
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryroten View Post
Yes, standard screen and 3'.
Thanks. I have ordered some . Will let u know
__________________
nOOb to Adventure biking. First road bike picking up Aug 12' - KTM 990 Adv R. 13' 6days KTM 450EXC (on order),
12'Triumph Steve McQueen (4kms so far)
08'Husky TE450, 05'CRF 250x - taking up space
cookymonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #1537
hattah79
.
 
hattah79's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Somerville VIC AUST
Oddometer: 901
Works for me

I had thought about doing this mod before I had found this write up on ADV
Double windscreen
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267755

I tried the KTM touring screen = not the best off road and looked fugley
Tried the short screen = why have a bike with a screen if you get covered in bugs and crap and wet

Well I did it over the last week
I went for a 280 Km ride today
The buffeting for me has been reduced
It will do me
Makes the bike even more enjoyable to ride joy to ride
hattah79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #1538
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer
 
syzygy9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Australia
Oddometer: 295
count me in . . .

Also looking for something better than the stock. At height 5'10" and 85kg/average build, I find the stock windscreen seems to put my head right into some turbulent flow knocking my head around and making it damn uncomfortable. I am torn between the KTM Touring (alien) screen or the Aeroflow Aeroscreen.

The Aeroscreen seems the better option but shipping to Australia costs $250 (!!) . . more than the screen itself. I am also torn between the low (standard, 4" above stock) and medium (6" above stock). My measurements put my nose at 5.5" above the current screen which would suggest going for the medium, but I really want to be able to see over the screen as I do mostly dirt roads and so am very tempted to go with low. Anyone at ~5'10" have any experience with the Aeroscreen on a KTM 990?? I would love to get some feedback.

Also, does anyone know (or can measure) the height of the KTM Touring screen above the stock screen.

All advice gratefully appreciated.
__________________
__________________________
bikeless no longer! welcome home, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure!
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #1539
jeremyk
Adventurer
 
jeremyk's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Novi, MI
Oddometer: 91
After riding with the KTM touring screen for a couple years now, I can say it is a vast improvement over the stock. I recently put the stock windscreen back on and was quickly reminded just how much better.

I'm 6' 0" tall and MUST ride with my visor down at speeds above about 25 mph (stock windscreen). The air hits me right in the face (worse than no windscreen at all). With the touring I get much less turbulence and can ride with my visor up at most speeds. There is still some turbulence, but it's manageable (I also ride with sunglasses, which probably helps). The other benefit of the touring is that it redirects air out around your hands and body...good for those cold mornings.

Just my $0.02
__________________
Current Bikes:
2007 KTM Adventure 990 (new in fall 2009)
2002 Suzuki Hayabusa
1971 Yamaha R5

Previously Owned:
2002 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Suzuki SV1000
2000 Suzuki SV650
2002 Suzuki GSX-R750
1994 Yamaha YZF-750R
1983 Yamah Seca 650 Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ550
1986 Suzuki DR200
1980 Honda XR100
jeremyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #1540
Shuffler
Getting a grip...
 
Shuffler's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Niwot CO
Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyk View Post
After riding with the KTM touring screen for a couple years now, I can say it is a vast improvement over the stock. I recently put the stock windscreen back on and was quickly reminded just how much better.

I'm 6' 0" tall and MUST ride with my visor down at speeds above about 25 mph (stock windscreen). The air hits me right in the face (worse than no windscreen at all). With the touring I get much less turbulence and can ride with my visor up at most speeds. There is still some turbulence, but it's manageable (I also ride with sunglasses, which probably helps). The other benefit of the touring is that it redirects air out around your hands and body...good for those cold mornings.

Just my $0.02
+1 and I also ditched the mirror stalks in favor of HDB handguards with integrated mirrors.

Those factory mirror stalks create quite a bit of turbulence in addition to the windscreen...
__________________
________________________________
AMA | COHVCO | TPA | NCTR | BRC
Niwot Synthetics
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #1541
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius
 
FakeName's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,718
Just. Cut. It. Down.

Or buy a Goldwing.
__________________
ADVdiscount Motorcycle Product Photography


2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #1542
Projected
Single Track Attack
 
Projected's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Dual Sport Paradise..... NM
Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post

Also, does anyone know (or can measure) the height of the KTM Touring screen above the stock screen.

All advice gratefully appreciated.
EDIT: I put the stock screen back on today and measured the screens when they were both off. The touring screen is 4" taller and ranges from 2 to 2 1/2" wider on the sides.
__________________
[10 990 Adventure S] [13 250 XC] [08 YZ125] [07 YZ250] [04 DRZ400E plated] [09 GasGas TXT300 Pro] [14 200XC-W]

Projected screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 01:52 PM
Projected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #1543
RDhead
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Also looking for something better than the stock. At height 5'10" and 85kg/average build, I find the stock windscreen seems to put my head right into some turbulent flow knocking my head around and making it damn uncomfortable. I am torn between the KTM Touring (alien) screen or the Aeroflow Aeroscreen.

The Aeroscreen seems the better option but shipping to Australia costs $250 (!!) . . more than the screen itself. I am also torn between the low (standard, 4" above stock) and medium (6" above stock). My measurements put my nose at 5.5" above the current screen which would suggest going for the medium, but I really want to be able to see over the screen as I do mostly dirt roads and so am very tempted to go with low. Anyone at ~5'10" have any experience with the Aeroscreen on a KTM 990?? I would love to get some feedback.

Also, does anyone know (or can measure) the height of the KTM Touring screen above the stock screen.

All advice gratefully appreciated.
I have the Medium Height AeroFlow wind screen on mine and I'm 5' 10 . I find that it's a vast but ugly improvement to the stock screen. I still get light buffeting, wind noise is down on my helmet and I can ride with the visor up at speeds into the 60 mph range. The folks at Aeroflow recommended the Med. for my height.
Hope that helps
RDhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #1544
rattis
Beastly Adventurer
 
rattis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: East of the seas of Kattegat
Oddometer: 1,044
Thumb Aeroflow

The Aeroflow is in effect a double screen and IMHO works like a dream and compared to the one that is for the BMW 1200GSA looks like something made by Michelangelo, well maybe a bit fugly, but just a bit.
I'm 6 8" and recently I did 1400 km in the US and Mexico and I'm very satisfied.
Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Aeroflow and I do not get payed very well to endorse their products, as a matter of fact I get payed ZILCH.
But the screens are good.
I would love a combo between Aeroflow and the Givi, some thing that you could adjust.
Yes I know about the Madstad bracket but to me that looks like like it's made by the "penny-tech farkelers" over at G-spot ie made by the visionally impaired.
__________________
I wish I had bought a GSA a long time ago
and now I drink Orange Crush as well, double up now, a 990Adv and a 950 SER
rattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #1545
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus
 
Chuckracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lowville, NY
Oddometer: 7,627
Mirrors. No shit.

I've been all around this block from cut down stockers to the Madstad/Aeroflow set and everywhere in between. I'd seen people say change the mirrors and thought, "yeah, that's fine if you ride leaning out in the mirrors wake..."

Know what? I just put SD mirrors on my 950 and have no complaints with that stock screen. None. Zero. It's fine.

I'm 5'8" on a Renazco slightly taller than stock seat.
__________________
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014