User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #1531
Pops of the desert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Big screen

Tried the cutoff (about 1.5 inches) made it worse. Put the touring screen on and love it, only problem is sigt line when in the dirt. Riding in the trees is the worst, combination of sight line and shadows, just concentrate on looking farther ahead over the windshield like we should be.
Pops of the desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #1532
cookymonsta
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I've read a heap of this very long thread. I guess it effects everyone differently mainly to do with height. I am 6"1'. .approx 188cm. Anyone similar height with a successful fix. If I shrug it's okay and if I sit up very straight I'm almost in clean air.
cookymonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #1533
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookymonsta View Post
I've read a heap of this very long thread. I guess it effects everyone differently mainly to do with height. I am 6"1'. .approx 188cm. Anyone similar height with a successful fix. If I shrug it's okay and if I sit up very straight I'm almost in clean air.
I am about your height and have tried many different styles of windscreens in an attempt to keep the wind buffeting to a minimum. The easiest, cheapest and probably most effective tool that I have used in this attempt is the www.saeng.com Micro Swirl Edging (Gen 4). It is all that I use now and offers a cushion for your face should you be unfortunate enough to hit the screen. Give it a go; just might be what you were looking for.

Good luck!
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #1534
cookymonsta
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryroten View Post
I am about your height and have tried many different styles of windscreens in an attempt to keep the wind buffeting to a minimum. The easiest, cheapest and probably most effective tool that I have used in this attempt is the www.saeng.com Micro Swirl Edging (Gen 4). It is all that I use now and offers a cushion for your face should you be unfortunate enough to hit the screen. Give it a go; just might be what you were looking for.

Good luck!
had a look and yes will try that. Are you using on the standard screen? did you just order 3ft?
Old 08-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #1535
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookymonsta View Post
had a look and yes will try that. Are you using on the standard screen? did you just order 3ft?
Yes, standard screen and 3'.
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #1536
cookymonsta
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryroten View Post
Yes, standard screen and 3'.
Thanks. I have ordered some . Will let u know
Old 08-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #1537
hattah79

Oddometer: 901
Works for me

I had thought about doing this mod before I had found this write up on ADV
Double windscreen
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267755

I tried the KTM touring screen = not the best off road and looked fugley
Tried the short screen = why have a bike with a screen if you get covered in bugs and crap and wet

Well I did it over the last week
I went for a 280 Km ride today
The buffeting for me has been reduced
It will do me
Makes the bike even more enjoyable to ride joy to ride
hattah79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #1538
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
count me in . . .

Also looking for something better than the stock. At height 5'10" and 85kg/average build, I find the stock windscreen seems to put my head right into some turbulent flow knocking my head around and making it damn uncomfortable. I am torn between the KTM Touring (alien) screen or the Aeroflow Aeroscreen.

The Aeroscreen seems the better option but shipping to Australia costs $250 (!!) . . more than the screen itself. I am also torn between the low (standard, 4" above stock) and medium (6" above stock). My measurements put my nose at 5.5" above the current screen which would suggest going for the medium, but I really want to be able to see over the screen as I do mostly dirt roads and so am very tempted to go with low. Anyone at ~5'10" have any experience with the Aeroscreen on a KTM 990?? I would love to get some feedback.

Also, does anyone know (or can measure) the height of the KTM Touring screen above the stock screen.

All advice gratefully appreciated.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #1539
jeremyk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
After riding with the KTM touring screen for a couple years now, I can say it is a vast improvement over the stock. I recently put the stock windscreen back on and was quickly reminded just how much better.

I'm 6' 0" tall and MUST ride with my visor down at speeds above about 25 mph (stock windscreen). The air hits me right in the face (worse than no windscreen at all). With the touring I get much less turbulence and can ride with my visor up at most speeds. There is still some turbulence, but it's manageable (I also ride with sunglasses, which probably helps). The other benefit of the touring is that it redirects air out around your hands and body...good for those cold mornings.

Just my $0.02
1971 Yamaha R5

Previously Owned:
2002 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Suzuki SV1000
2000 Suzuki SV650
2002 Suzuki GSX-R750
1994 Yamaha YZF-750R
1983 Yamah Seca 650 Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ550
1986 Suzuki DR200
1980 Honda XR100
jeremyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #1540
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyk View Post
After riding with the KTM touring screen for a couple years now, I can say it is a vast improvement over the stock. I recently put the stock windscreen back on and was quickly reminded just how much better.

I'm 6' 0" tall and MUST ride with my visor down at speeds above about 25 mph (stock windscreen). The air hits me right in the face (worse than no windscreen at all). With the touring I get much less turbulence and can ride with my visor up at most speeds. There is still some turbulence, but it's manageable (I also ride with sunglasses, which probably helps). The other benefit of the touring is that it redirects air out around your hands and body...good for those cold mornings.

Just my $0.02
+1 and I also ditched the mirror stalks in favor of HDB handguards with integrated mirrors.

Those factory mirror stalks create quite a bit of turbulence in addition to the windscreen...
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #1541
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,718
Just. Cut. It. Down.

Or buy a Goldwing.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #1542
Projected
Single Track Attack

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post

Also, does anyone know (or can measure) the height of the KTM Touring screen above the stock screen.

EDIT: I put the stock screen back on today and measured the screens when they were both off. The touring screen is 4" taller and ranges from 2 to 2 1/2" wider on the sides.

Projected screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 01:52 PM
Projected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #1543
RDhead
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Also looking for something better than the stock. At height 5'10" and 85kg/average build, I find the stock windscreen seems to put my head right into some turbulent flow knocking my head around and making it damn uncomfortable. I am torn between the KTM Touring (alien) screen or the Aeroflow Aeroscreen.

The Aeroscreen seems the better option but shipping to Australia costs $250 (!!) . . more than the screen itself. I am also torn between the low (standard, 4" above stock) and medium (6" above stock). My measurements put my nose at 5.5" above the current screen which would suggest going for the medium, but I really want to be able to see over the screen as I do mostly dirt roads and so am very tempted to go with low. Anyone at ~5'10" have any experience with the Aeroscreen on a KTM 990?? I would love to get some feedback.

I have the Medium Height AeroFlow wind screen on mine and I'm 5' 10 . I find that it's a vast but ugly improvement to the stock screen. I still get light buffeting, wind noise is down on my helmet and I can ride with the visor up at speeds into the 60 mph range. The folks at Aeroflow recommended the Med. for my height.
Hope that helps
RDhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #1544
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Thumb Aeroflow

The Aeroflow is in effect a double screen and IMHO works like a dream and compared to the one that is for the BMW 1200GSA looks like something made by Michelangelo, well maybe a bit fugly, but just a bit.
I'm 6 8" and recently I did 1400 km in the US and Mexico and I'm very satisfied.
Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Aeroflow and I do not get payed very well to endorse their products, as a matter of fact I get payed ZILCH.
But the screens are good.
I would love a combo between Aeroflow and the Givi, some thing that you could adjust.
Yes I know about the Madstad bracket but to me that looks like like it's made by the "penny-tech farkelers" over at G-spot ie made by the visionally impaired.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #1545
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,627
Mirrors. No shit.

I've been all around this block from cut down stockers to the Madstad/Aeroflow set and everywhere in between. I'd seen people say change the mirrors and thought, "yeah, that's fine if you ride leaning out in the mirrors wake..."

Know what? I just put SD mirrors on my 950 and have no complaints with that stock screen. None. Zero. It's fine.

I'm 5'8" on a Renazco slightly taller than stock seat.