ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #3496
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
Why don't we do it in my garage in DC?

You might want to get an air filter since we will be in that area.

You should get some spark plugs. A couple of head gaskets too, just in case. I also replace my radiator fluid, bring some of that too.

I will post up when I get the shim kit, we can schedule a date at that point.

I have a Twin Max for throttle body synching. I have, I believe, all the tools needed to do the job but having duplicates would not be a bad thing. This would include torque wrenches, sockets, etc.

I have some supplies like loctite, hand soap, gloves and rags but you might want to bring what you have.

We could do my bike first for practice and because the engine will be cold. We could then do something of an assembly line to knock them all out.

I have done this twice before but do not consider myself an expert at this.

Here is some stuff to look at to help figure out what to do:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195248

http://blacklabadventures.com/2012/0...nd-adjustment/

http://perljam.net/motorcycle/dl650/valve-adjustment/

http://www.vstrom.info/forum/forum_f...rottleBody.pdf

With all this information and the collective geniuses that we is, what could possibly go wrong?
Thanks for the links!
Unfortunately I'll most likely be working weekends thru mid October so a tech day until after that point in time is out of the question for me.
Plus, I'm skierd of the big city!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #3497
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 873
Hey peeps - I'm thinking about picking up a Tiger 800 and am wondering what my options are for service.

I've heard mixed things about the other "local" Triumph places (there aren't many, it seems). I think one of you described a MD dealership as Mordor, so I'm looking for places that aren't like that.

Also, has anyone had any experience with the new Triumph shop in Manassas? I stopped by about a month ago and it seemed like a nice place but I haven't read/heard any reviews of it.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #3498
Dr. Beard
Cenosillicaphobiac

Oddometer: 911
The only thing I can say about the new place in Manassas is that their delivery drivers are great people. My only interaction with that (VERY new) dealer was taking delivery of a bike for friend who was out of town. The driver said that the staff was trying to get used to the idea of being a motorcycle place, but that the owner was "extremely enthusiastic" about the bikes. Take that as you will.
1974 XL250 Street Tracker
2002 R1150GS White Whale
Dr. Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #3499
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
I've had mixed experience when having my Triumphs services. I definitely will not go back to the Baltimore dealer. The Frederick, MD dealer was OK, but I had to have them address a few separate things before I actually got back on the road (gas guage and speedo were not connected properly).

The Manassas Triumph dealer is brand spanking new. I haven't heard anything about them yet. I was so frustrated with the service I was getting on the Tiger 1050 I owned that I ended up taking it to a dealer in Connecticut. The dealers in the immediate area (at that time) were not that helpful. I hope the Manassas dealer is focused on customer service. I still own a 955 Sprint ST that I will need serviced in the near future, unless I decide to bite the bullet and do it all myself.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #3500
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beard View Post
The only thing I can say about the new place in Manassas is that their delivery drivers are great people. My only interaction with that (VERY new) dealer was taking delivery of a bike for friend who was out of town. The driver said that the staff was trying to get used to the idea of being a motorcycle place, but that the owner was "extremely enthusiastic" about the bikes. Take that as you will.
saw this on women and old bikes and thought... " I've seen that upper front end before.. in someone's garage"

REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #3501
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,943
Bah, the work can't be that hard to do yourself

Unless it involves computers...darn zeros and ones...
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #3502
Blixa
Derelicte

Thanks guys for the info.

I'm really hoping that the Triumph dealer in Manassas is an improvement over what's currently out there. If CT is the closest decent place to get a Triumph serviced, I'm not buying one

The one time I went to Triumph Manassas, there were quite a few customers that Saturday and all but one of the bikes I was looking at had been spoken for. They said they were moving to a larger location down the street. They're right next to a VRE station, so that would be very convenient for me. I'll probably wait a bit to see what their service rep is like before I take the plunge.

Right now, the guy who works on my bike is about 2 miles from where I live so I'm spoiled. He said a bike's a bike, he can work on Triumphs, but he specializes in BMWs. Maybe he's right but, yeah, with all the computer shit these bikes have nowadays, I'm a little worried that he might not have the right equipment to service it. Are there no Triumph indies in the area?

Personally, basic stuff I wouldn't mind taking a stab at, but for more complicated work, I'd rather have someone nearby that knows what he's doing (and who won't rip me off) handling my bike.

Thanks again!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #3503
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
Thanks guys for the info.

Right now, the guy who works on my bike is about 2 miles from where I live so I'm spoiled. He said a bike's a bike, he can work on Triumphs, but he specializes in BMWs. Maybe he's right but, yeah, with all the computer shit these bikes have nowadays, I'm a little worried that he might not have the right equipment to service it. Are there no Triumph indies in the area?

Thanks again!
If you are referring to George... trust in the force. He is my Jedi master and I drive over an hour for my beemers. I think it is more about the surgeon than the operating room. My 2 cents.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #3504
Blixa
Derelicte

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA_PILOT View Post
If you are referring to George... trust in the force. He is my Jedi master and I drive over an hour for my beemers. I think it is more about the surgeon than the operating room. My 2 cents.
Thank you for the tip. I was referring to Khanh but have heard nothing but great things about George. If it really doesn't matter if the mechanic is a "certified Triumph tech," then that opens up a lot of options.

Have any of you dealt with Crossroads Cycle in Falls Church? It looks like they're a local indie as well.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #3505
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,943
Crossroads are good folk. They work on everything and have a passion for old Triumphs too. Their rates are comparable and thier location is pretty good. Most of the work on a newer 800 Tiger will be basics they can tackle (or any shop) such as chain management, oil and filter changes, lubing and torquing bolts. Not sure what the valve interval is on something like that.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #3506
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
Thank you for the tip. I was referring to Khanh but have heard nothing but great things about George. If it really doesn't matter if the mechanic is a "certified Triumph tech," then that opens up a lot of options.

Have any of you dealt with Crossroads Cycle in Falls Church? It looks like they're a local indie as well.
Two individuals I need to look for for when I want my Triumph services. I've always been a little frustrated with the service costs on Triumphs. They may be a resonable alternative.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #3507
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,522
So I'm watching this motorcycle show in the UK and they are riding in Sweden. They interviewed this guy who was riding in -30C and he said it was so cold his eyes froze Hell, I thought riding when it was 25F was being tough.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #3508
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
So I'm watching this motorcycle show in the UK and they are riding in Sweden. They interviewed this guy who was riding in -30C and he said it was so cold his eyes froze Hell, I thought riding when it was 25F was being tough.
I hiked Old Rag when it was -19C (-2F) once. I got icicles in my eyelashes and my sweat turned into snow between my fleece and my gore tex. That was cold. I cannot even begin to imagine what that would feel like with the wind chill of riding a motorcycle.
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #3509
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,059
+1 on Khan, I've always gone to him or his now deceased Dad for all my non-DYI BMW stuff and when I am too lazy to change tires myself. He is always great.

As for the the Triumph dealer in Manassas Park, they also own Advantage Certified Auto next door and if they run the mo shop like they do the auto dealer/shop then they should make most customers very happy. I bought my 330i from them in 2008 and gone back for service and a friend has gone to them after back experience with dealer and J&F Motors and was very happy with Advantage. Ken Davis the owner/Pres is a mo rider and really into bikes.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #3510
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,866
If you are willing to travel for either a new Triumph or service, I understand Hermy's and Martin Motorsports (both in PA) are highly reputable dealers.

I have spoken in the past with the people at Manayunk Triumph in Philadelphia and they seem like they care. I think they also might have a sale on their inventory of Tigers.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote