Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #886
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoAJP View Post
Hi guys, I became a big Kriega fan after purchasing my R30 backpack a few months ago and have been very satisfied with its quality.

As such when an impromptu trip from Toronto to California came up, I opted to purchase a US20 (with tank adaptor) and the US30 two days before the trip. I really liked 'Amanlikemikes' set-up on his scrambler and wanted something similar as I ride a scrambler as well. I required more room as this trip was to be done 2-up.

The US30 was attached to the tail rack and carried only clothes, chargers for the Scala-Riders and a bottle of chain lube. Until today the bags were working fine and I was perfectly happy. Today we got caught in some freezing rain where we got off the bike and put on rain suits from the tank bag.. I have this on video as I was recording at the time. The US30 was still attached to the tail rack and all was in order -it was not touched. When we got out of the rain and into town not 20mins later, the US30 attachment clips had ripped on both sides, one was torn off totally. I will attach some photos of this below.

Basically I have no idea what happened, my partner does not sit or lean on the bag.. Nor was the bag overloaded. I am trying to get in touch with Kriega now to see if I can get it replaced when we reach California. If I had owned the bag for a year or two and it happened I would say its wear and tear, but this shouldn't happen less than 10days after I bought it. I managed to strap the bag down relatively secure and continue the ride to Durango, CO where I am writing this.

Needless to say I am quite disappointed, but if the warranty is honoured i'd be happy to continue using them, they really are very good bags. I'm just glad I found out about the issue before the bag slipped off and fell into my rear wheel!

Edit - Pics Added.

How the bike was set up:

Right hand attachment nearly torn off:

Left hand attachment torn off:

Managed to continue riding this way:
Hi Rico,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. In the past few weeks, I've done about 20,000 miles of traveling. None of which were on my bike!

But the bottom line is: that aint right.

If you've got a proof of purchase, you've got a new pack. PM me and I'll get it sorted out right away.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 12:08 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #887
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan8621 View Post
thanks for the quick reply michael, ill definetly take a look into it but i guess another question would be if the ALP adapter would work with the sw motech trax panniers cause that would be awesome
I'd love to give you a different answer, but the ALP has the exact same mounts as the ADV Platform.

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #888
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Can we see a peek at any 2014 gear ?
Mate,

I only just got my first peek when I was over in England last week!

Because all the gear is designed and developed by just two blokes (Dom & Mike, who own the company) - not to mention the fact that they like to make sure it's 100% before release - new product isn't exactly churned out at the same rate as some other companies. However, 2014 will see the introduction of three new items.

Two of those are courier style bags, aimed more at urban riders (specifically those from the US who have requested a bit more compartmentalization for the gear they haul to work and back), but there is also a very tidy new 'Rally Pac' that I'm sure you'd dig. It's built to Dakar spec (i.e. regulation size), so not all that big, but is without a doubt the most solid and reliable minimalist tail pack I have ever seen.

The Rally Pac is currently at the production sample stage and the other items are only at prototype stage, but I'll post up pics as soon as they're out of R&D and I get the OK from the UK.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 08-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #889
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Michael,
Got the pack, it is NOT as pictured above. It does NOT have the second set of D-rings. I already shipped out mine to the winner and your bag came in the same day I shipped mine out.

It's the same bag I have with just the 4 D-rings instead of the 8 as pictured above.

:(
Eh?

Send me an email and - if the four D-rings aren't enough for what you have in mind - hopefully we can figure something out.

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 01:02 PM
Old 08-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #890
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Went on a couple short easy trips to test out the how the bones in my arm are knitting together with the Overlander 30 and some other Kriega bits.

First trip was a trial run loaded with my multi week gear for camping cooking etc. Even experimented with strapping 3 liters of water to the side of the OL 30 bags.

The ride was a good shakedown run of some new gear.

With the stock seat my initial concern with the over the seat strap was validated. Even mounted as far back as I could get the bags without protruding too far above the seat the rear strap was bothersome for me on the tarmac slogging sections. No issues in the dirt where I'm standing or sitting a lot farther forward, but when I slide back on the rear of the seat to stretch out on the pavement the buckle would be right where my arse wanted to be placed. Not good.

Had the R15 and R3 fanny pack in addition to the OL30 bags. The R3 is pretty small with not much storage capacity. What it does do perfectly is allow me a waterproof pouch to carry my glucose blood tester, Insulin, Smartphone, and passport and bike documents all securely in one pouch. Very useful for border crossings where you need access to documents easily and yet protected from river crossing mishaps and monsoon rains. Another upside of the R3 is that its the perfect carryall for when in a guesthouse or hotel in a strange city and you're out trolling the night in places your mum would not be proud of and yet all your valuables and diabetic supplies are easily carried in a fairly minimal, unobtrusive package. A great solution for these needs in my situation.

The R15 is a pretty minimal pack and its primary load is my 3 liter hydration bladder and food snacks for my diabetes. The harness system is very convenient for donning on and off over dirt bike armor. A real improvement over traditionl pack straps in this situation. Look at the bulky shoulder pads on my Alpinestars A8 in the last pic and you'll see a normal pack would be impossible to get on and off. the Kriega harness is magic in this situation allowing me to simply unclip, loosen the straps and get out of the pack easily. Another point for Kriega.

The second trip I did was an overnighter without camping gear. Packed a lot lighter and with no R3. I had also modified the seat on the KTM 500 to be wider in the rear, about 10" wide total.

This helped me deal with my issue with the over the seat buckle. I'm guessing extra width padding allows me to keep from shifting as far back on the seat as I need with the stock width seat. This minimized the buckle issue from what was once a major issue to only a minor issue for me. The OL 30 also transitioned from loaded to the gills to loaded 60% with no issues and stayed pretty secure.

Like all riders there are improvements I would like to see as we all strive for the most efficient gear possible but this isn't the place.

Micheal, the Kriega USA rep was also a pleasure to deal with and as can be witnessed by this thread willing to go all the way to make sure his clients are satisfied. That trait is very much appreciated as all too often in this industry can be sorely lacking with a lot of companies. Thanks Micheal.
Hi mate,

Thanks for the feedback and the epic photos!

From what I can gather, the only negative occurs when you want to stretch your legs on pavement. Looking at the photos, it could be that further tightening the seat strap (to raise the bags slightly higher) might help with this. However, the Overlander 30 was designed for off-road use, so if it does it's job in that situation, perhaps not being able to slide right to the back of the bike on slab sections isn't such a severe compromise.

But, as ever, all this info is valued and appreciated. So please feel free to pass on any more opinions you may have.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 08-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #891
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Hi mate,

Thanks for the feedback and the epic photos!

From what I can gather, the only negative occurs when you want to stretch your legs on pavement. Looking at the photos, it could be that further tightening the seat strap (to raise the bags slightly higher) might help with this. However, the Overlander 30 was designed for off-road use, so if it does it's job in that situation, perhaps not being able to slide right to the back of the bike on slab sections isn't such a severe compromise.

But, as ever, all this info is valued and appreciated. So please feel free to pass on any more opinions you may have.

Cheers,

Michael
Michael,

There are a few surprises I found when utilizing the Overlander 30 bags, those issues were covered in this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=overlander

where I did a comparison of the Giantloop Coyote and the Kriega Overlander 30 bags. This being the Vendor thread I thought it might be inappropriate to post in this thread. PM me if you'd like portions relative to the Kriega bags posted here.

Yes the Over-the-seat-strap issue is my primary concern. i understand the bags are off road focused, as is most of my riding. Sadly there are very few places in the world where I can connect a weeks worth of off road riding without utilizing pavement connection sections. Therefore I am just a bit disappointed that there was not a better solution rather than the Camlock buckle in the middle of the seat. This however being the first design of the Overlander 30 bags I'm hoping Kriega can utilize customer feedback and critique in hopeful further product upgrades, much as GiantLoop did to create an improved Coyote bag.

Micheal can you help me understand what your trying to achieve with the suggestion of further tightening the seat strap to raise the bags slightly? I'll most certainly give it a go, but always like to understand the logic behind the thinking in case I am missing anything basic.

As my arm gets closer to 100% healed I'll be acquiring more pics of your bags in action. Today I loaded them up for another test run. This time mounted farther forward to see if it improved the bag stability.

If you get a chance to read the review and have any suggestions in terms of mounting I'm all ears.

Again thank you for all the help.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

Flood screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 08:09 AM Reason: malware removed.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #892
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
New Kriega owner

Thanks to Michael's pictures of how good these bags look on a Triumph Scrambler, I ordered a UScombo30 today for my 2012 Scrambler. Leaving in 3 days for a trip from Reno to Buckley, WA and back to give it good test. Most excited I've ever been over "luggage".
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #893
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Nice!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #894
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Hey ftb... I finally had time to fully read your review and watch your video.

In general terms, my initial feelings about the Coyote vs. the OL30 was very similar to yours. Over time, and with a bit more experimentation (or maybe just I am now used to the OL30) I do feel that the OL30 is in general a better set up.

Maybe I should have prefaced the above by saying that I used the Coyote and currently use the OL30 primarily on my Super Enduro (although I have set both up on my 400) which is a much larger motorcycle.

A couple things I would try:

1) Play with the OL30 bag location a bit. My initial placement ended up being different than I have now.

2) Try hooking the top alloy hook strap to the opposite side rack loop, so they cross each other over the top of the rear fender. This might allow you to move the bags around a bit differently.

3) For me, the strap tightening sequence made a difference in how secure the bags fit on the bike. Daisy chain, top/rear alloy hook straps made tight. Load the bags. Cinch the straps around the bags. Tighten the cam buckle over the seat.

Not saying any of this is the answer. But I know I fiddled a bunch at first. Now they go on and come off "like buttah"
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #895
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rPaul View Post
Thanks to Michael's pictures of how good these bags look on a Triumph Scrambler, I ordered a UScombo30 today for my 2012 Scrambler. Leaving in 3 days for a trip from Reno to Buckley, WA and back to give it good test. Most excited I've ever been over "luggage".
Great to hear, Av8rPaul. We do try!

Pics please!

BritKit LLC
Old 08-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #896
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Michael,

There are a few surprises I found when utilizing the Overlander 30 bags, those issues were covered in this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=overlander

where I did a comparison of the Giantloop Coyote and the Kriega Overlander 30 bags. This being the Vendor thread I thought it might be inappropriate to post in this thread. PM me if you'd like portions relative to the Kriega bags posted here.

Yes the Over-the-seat-strap issue is my primary concern. i understand the bags are off road focused, as is most of my riding. Sadly there are very few places in the world where I can connect a weeks worth of off road riding without utilizing pavement connection sections. Therefore I am just a bit disappointed that there was not a better solution rather than the Camlock buckle in the middle of the seat. This however being the first design of the Overlander 30 bags I'm hoping Kriega can utilize customer feedback and critique in hopeful further product upgrades, much as GiantLoop did to create an improved Coyote bag.

Micheal can you help me understand what your trying to achieve with the suggestion of further tightening the seat strap to raise the bags slightly? I'll most certainly give it a go, but always like to understand the logic behind the thinking in case I am missing anything basic.

As my arm gets closer to 100% healed I'll be acquiring more pics of your bags in action. Today I loaded them up for another test run. This time mounted farther forward to see if it improved the bag stability.

If you get a chance to read the review and have any suggestions in terms of mounting I'm all ears.

Again thank you for all the help.
Well, it seems traveltoad beat me to the punch once more...

What he said is absolutely spot-on. You can definitely get that seat strap a lot further back, so that it is no more - and quite possibly less - intrusive than a GL pack positioning. But if you do get a bit of garage time and would like me to talk you through a few configurations, do let me know. Happy to Skype your cell, landline or computer, so no problem if you're still abroad.

Looking forward to more photos of your rides. And kudos for the ground-sleeping, bivvy bag, 'tarp' action - I imagine the forest floor crawlers over there are no joke!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #897
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Great to hear, Av8rPaul. We do try!

Pics please!
I'm leaving tomorrow for a little 1500 mile break in run on the bike and the bags. Pictures will follow.
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #898
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:

Looking forward to more photos of your rides. And kudos for the ground-sleeping, bivvy bag, 'tarp' action - I imagine the forest floor crawlers over there are no joke!

Cheers,

Michael

Michael;
Stop drinking and reading/typing..........FTB is using a hammock style tent..........duh!!

Cheers..........and thanks again for the help with my last problem!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #899
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Michael - I'll PM you my Skype contact info. It would be great to chat when you're free. Thank you.

Yes the bugs in the jungle can be unnerving at times. The 8 inch poisonous centipedes are what give me the shivers, though the Tarantulas, poisonous snakes, and Dengue fever carrying mosquitoes can keep you on your toes as well. As Droptrotter noticed it's why I choose to hang in a hammock most times though when packing light its just a bivy sack.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

Flood screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 08:10 AM Reason: malware removed.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #900
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Michael;
Stop drinking and reading/typing..........FTB is using a hammock style tent..........duh!!

Cheers..........and thanks again for the help with my last problem!
Oooooohhhh... yeah....

That's a relief. I knew my fellow Inmates were a nutty bunch, but that would have been a bit much. Shoulda looked closer.

BritKit LLC