Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #151
guitarhack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates View Post
flux is queer!!!
Um, OK....

Is he aggressive about it - like a federal pound you in the ass kind of prison?

guitarhack screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 04:28 PM
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #152
madmaximum
She said we're all idiots

Oddometer: 3,370
We had a facility here in central PA to develop nuclear powered jet engines as well. It is now a wild area, probably because they can't remember when they dumped all the contaminated materials and water. The reactor site has been completely reclaimed, but I belive the 2 engine test sites are still there. I have some pics here somewhere..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quehann...toms_for_Peace
madmaximum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #153
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,895
Wow! Good to see this thread resurface. Thanks Mark, and all the folks that have added to it (disregarding the queer comment. although I hope/am sure it was in jest).

I had the good fortune in my military days to dabble in intelligence, where every thing is "need to know". And if you dont need to know, you will never hear of it. I grew up and started riding around Macon in the 60s & 70s. Never knew of the stuff going on in north GA. Am I astounded and fascinated? Hell yeah! Am I surprised? No, not after my career experiences.

Anyone have clothing or body parts glow like a clock dial yet?

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #154
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,772
the embedded question to me is what evil Cold War Strangelove genius/committee decided that a parcel of land a few clicks north of ATL was a great place to run an unshielded reactor. WTFx1,000,000,000

The other posters here show that a site in Idaho was used in tandem for research on this project. There are no Atlantas in Idaho. Look it up.

I'm gov-cynical enough to ask "what Georgia congressman sold this project on Dalton county?" but the security level on that project would have been so high that legislature would never have been involved

I am filled with questions

Thanks again, Flux.

The big-ass circular security perimeter around the north complex is still visible on G-Earth-- is it rideable?? It should be way-overgrown 2-track by now according to the Sat image. Anybody tried it??
Old 09-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #155
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
This thread has turned into something so much more than I intended. Its just fantastic. I love how everyone added to it. School is such a joke when there are things like this. Amazing.

Questor, if you are still reading this, I would love to know where that site is you put pics up of, I missed it somehow.

Mug, during hunting season (now) a lot of gates are open that usually are closed. Lots of riding in there but most of the roads dead end which I can't stand. Also, the hunters are out there are generally pricks that think they own the place. It gets a little crowded this time of year.

Jud, I have to jog my memory about the entrances. One is down the main road if you pass by the parking lot on the right and keep going its on the left in a sharp right hand turn.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #156
CSBM5
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I used to trail ride extensively on that site back in 1975 or so. As has been said, the whole site was open back then. We used to race around the fire road that encircled the property. At that time, the bridge over the river by the underground control room/reactor area was still passable, but you had to walk your bike across as there were plenty of holes and missing boards.

I recall some seriously steep hill climbs on that road made more difficult due to erosion. We had a lot of fun racing each other from point to point at various locations there. I was riding a 1975 CanAm 125 MX2, and the group included a Penton 400, Penton 250, Penton 125 and a Honda CR125. Pretty wild times...my CanAm was every bit the match for that Penton 250 on most straights and surprised the Elsinore rider that it would just pull away in 4-5-6 gears from his bike.

Anyway, that was a fun site to ride at back then. The underground control room was open but flooded. You would see a large concrete pad area that had open access holes where you could look down into it and see that it was a room but it was flooded. There was a tunnel off to the side of that area that you could ride a good ways down into before you ran into water. It was just wide enough to turn your bike around and go ripping back out of it. Who knows that level of radiation exposure we all got from that place.

By the way, the paved road that led down from the main entrance area toward the reactor was used in some of the scenes in Smokey and the Bandit for filming the Trans-Am drifting.
CSBM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #157
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I used to trail ride extensively on that site back in 1975 or so. As has been said, the whole site was open back then. We used to race around the fire road that encircled the property. At that time, the bridge over the river by the underground control room/reactor area was still passable, but you had to walk your bike across as there were plenty of holes and missing boards.

I recall some seriously steep hill climbs on that road made more difficult due to erosion. We had a lot of fun racing each other from point to point at various locations there. I was riding a 1975 CanAm 125 MX2, and the group included a Penton 400, Penton 250, Penton 125 and a Honda CR125. Pretty wild times...my CanAm was every bit the match for that Penton 250 on most straights and surprised the Elsinore rider that it would just pull away in 4-5-6 gears from his bike.

Anyway, that was a fun site to ride at back then. The underground control room was open but flooded. You would see a large concrete pad area that had open access holes where you could look down into it and see that it was a room but it was flooded. There was a tunnel off to the side of that area that you could ride a good ways down into before you ran into water. It was just wide enough to turn your bike around and go ripping back out of it. Who knows that level of radiation exposure we all got from that place.

By the way, the paved road that led down from the main entrance area toward the reactor was used in some of the scenes in Smokey and the Bandit for filming the Trans-Am drifting.

East bound and down ehh? Dang,,,, cool piece of trivia. Thanks for posting up.

I've found some sink holes next to Shoal Creek Road along the left side if you are going towards the creek crossing. There is a small area to the left where you can park and follow the ravine that run perpendicular to shoal creek rd and begines to parallel one of the horse trails,,,,, orange I think but maybe not. The ravive turns into a wetland then a creek which probably run into Shoal Creek. In any event, one one side of the ravine there is a large ridge that looks man made and on the face of that ridge is where several large sink holes are and also several tunnels/caves. One tunnel is viewable from the road and you can tell there has been plenty of human traffic from exploration in the area.

Does anyone know of this area and what this is/was?
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #158
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some-Young-Guy View Post
Much of the aircraft nuclear propulsion technology was developed and tested in Idaho. It was never installed into an aircraft and the whole program was cancelled around 1960 (give or take a year), but they did build a huge hanger in anticipation of a large aircraft. It's still standing.

Here are some pictures of two nuclear reactors that were used as test beds for the propulsion concept. You can still see two jet engines attached to one of the reactors. These are located next to Experimental Breeder Reactor I (EBR-I) which is located along Highway 20 between Idaho Falls, ID, and Arco, ID, on the site of the Idaho National Laboratory.

Happened upon this fantastic story and photographs. After a career of twenty five years in two and three engined jet aircraft I can not fathom flying an ILS approach to minimums with those toads pushing the load and me up front trying to tweak the power. Mine ain't that big and hairy. Get yourself another Captain.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #159
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist View Post
Just noticed that you are from Athens.

I went to Athens Y Camp a looooong time ago. They took us to a slippery rock one day, that was fun. A natural flume ride basically.
I grew up in Athens and went to the Y camp off Mitchell Bridge Rd in the early 80s. Remember some really fun games of Capture the Flag played out on the island. And wallowing around on the slick rocks out in the Oconee.

I wanted to tool around back there a few weeks ago when I was riding through town, but they have a big gate up. I couldn't find a way down to the river bank where we used to access some trails under the bypass bridge.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:19 AM   #160
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Wow! I can't believe this thread is going still. Love it. I really appreciate everyone's replies here. I might have to go get a few fresh pictures this weekend. With all the rains we've gotten here lately, Shoal Creek would be an interesting fording!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #161
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,945
Interesting RR Flux. I live just a few hours north in east Tn. We of course have some of the experimental, enrichment, and production facilities in Oak Ridge. One of the sites I believe is a sister facility to the one you have in Dawson county. The Tower Shielding facility was partially used to test shielding configurations for the airborne reactors, and drop tests for casks.

I searched TSF and found some techincal documents and pictures of the buildings and reactor configurations.

You can visit http://coldwar-c4i.net/TSF/index.html and do some reading. I have only been partially through the "brief history" document. It might help decipher some of the buildings configurations you have there, Enjoy.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #162
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I live in southeast Idaho, and the DOE site here has well over 50 experimental nuclear reactors spread across it. It's a bit unnerving if you think about it, all those reactors less then 50 miles away It's the largest concentration of them in the world. They have a HUGE chunk of desert off limits to the public. You can ride around the edges, but if you cross the line you will soon have company, and they will be heavily armed, and have LOTS of questions.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #163
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
Interesting RR Flux. I live just a few hours north in east Tn. We of course have some of the experimental, enrichment, and production facilities in Oak Ridge. One of the sites I believe is a sister facility to the one you have in Dawson county. The Tower Shielding facility was partially used to test shielding configurations for the airborne reactors, and drop tests for casks.

I searched TSF and found some techincal documents and pictures of the buildings and reactor configurations.

You can visit http://coldwar-c4i.net/TSF/index.html and do some reading. I have only been partially through the "brief history" document. It might help decipher some of the buildings configurations you have there, Enjoy.

Mike

Thanks for that link, Mike! I am actually headed to Oak Ridge this coming weekend for a camping/exploration expedition. I'll have to peruse that link before I go.