ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #61
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
one of those small practice track areas may or may not be fun...and close

anything else seems pretty obvious to stay away from
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #62
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,441
Trials

You have to be pretty inventive and a law breaker to find good tracks.

I once rode a Honda TL125 green sticker from my house on Fairman St. near Lakewood Country Club to the VW dealership on Cherry Ave, Long Beach. I utilized back alleys and the rail road, car parks and un-developed land around the airport. It helped my bike wasn't noisy and looked OK except no lights or plates. I also used to ride over to the Vets Stadium motorcycle swap meet on my Trials bike, same thing, back alleys, car parks, waste land.

Signal Hill used to be good. I haven't been there in 10 years. I suppose it's all either fenced or developed.

I don't know what the kids do now. My grand children ride around our yard on electric quads and Barbie Corvettes.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #63
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post

Signal Hill used to be good. I haven't been there in 10 years. I suppose it's all either fenced or developed.
Badda bing, pretty much all developed now. Lots of condos & custom homes. The city has developed 3 parks at the top of the hill connected by Skyline Dr which offers up some fine views on the right day.

sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #64
ColorItBlue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Signal Hill was epic back in the late 60s, go-kart track and loads of places for the mini-bikes and off-road moto adventures of the small scale variety.

I wonder if your local CHWP was moto heaven back then...
ColorItBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #65
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Back when I was a kid...........

This one was produced by my friend Henry Larrucea

Signal Hill, The Movie from Henry Larrucea on Vimeo.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 02:29 PM
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #66
340hp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post

It's been years since I last saw clips from that competition, and it's great to see it resurface again.

Hill Street is built up quite a bit more these days and illegal for skateboards, but bicyclists still attack it (with a segment on Strava to document the "Skyline Bomb"). Stopping at Temple's stop sign at the bottom today can be problematic with minimal run-off area, compared to the old day's when you could bleed off speed all the way to Redondo.

I noticed the City or Caltrans also fixed most of the fence access near the 22/405 so the dirt's not as accessible.

For those that care, LB Parks & Rec is still trying to determine what to do with the vacant land at El Dorado South under the power lines (the coyote hunting grounds south of Willow to the bridge & bordering the 605). I mentioned a BMX or combined Endurocross/BMX feature would be a welcome addition (and received a cold stare response from the Soccer Coaches). The reaction was similar to the attitude received when skate park areas were first proposed (not in the LBC, no need to attract the riff-raff, too dangerous). Talk to your City Councilman & Parks Rep to plant the seed for a legal dirt play area.
340hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #67
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340hp View Post
It's been years since I last saw clips from that competition, and it's great to see it resurface again.

Hill Street is built up quite a bit more these days and illegal for skateboards, but bicyclists still attack it (with a segment on Strava to document the "Skyline Bomb"). Stopping at Temple's stop sign at the bottom today can be problematic with minimal run-off area, compared to the old day's when you could bleed off speed all the way to Redondo.

I noticed the City or Caltrans also fixed most of the fence access near the 22/405 so the dirt's not as accessible.

For those that care, LB Parks & Rec is still trying to determine what to do with the vacant land at El Dorado South under the power lines (the coyote hunting grounds south of Willow to the bridge & bordering the 605). I mentioned a BMX or combined Endurocross/BMX feature would be a welcome addition (and received a cold stare response from the Soccer Coaches). The reaction was similar to the attitude received when skate park areas were first proposed (not in the LBC, no need to attract the riff-raff, too dangerous). Talk to your City Councilman & Parks Rep to plant the seed for a legal dirt play area.
Yep, I used to bomb signal hill back in the mid 70's and still pass through the Temple and Hill intersection 3-4 days a week with a big smile on my face knowing what used to go on there. It's really just become a hill for the all of the fatties to walk up and down a few times until they realize it's too steep for them.

I'm a soccer coach and would totally support some sort of two wheeled access over there. But In know what you're saying, some of those guys are real assholes. Been going to the concert in the park series (El Dorado Park) here in the LBC for years and always bail on the music after I have a few adult beverages and take my son over to poke around in the weeds over there. We'd both be in there if that ever happened. I'd pull out my 24" for that.......
Old 08-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #68
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

This one was the bomb.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #69
ColorItBlue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:

Two of my idiot friends and myself were putting together a monster 3 person skateboard for this event in 1976, convinced that we'd have an advantage (clearly not in the IQ dept) but I got a 1970 Torino Cobra 429 SCJ 4-spd about then so we moved on to trying to destroy ourselves in that...
ColorItBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #70
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorItBlue View Post
Two of my idiot friends and myself were putting together a monster 3 person skateboard for this event in 1976, convinced that we'd have an advantage (clearly not in the IQ dept) but I got a 1970 Torino Cobra 429 SCJ 4-spd about then so we moved on to trying to destroy ourselves in that...
Remember Edwards hill in HB(HB oil fields)? We made a stretched big wheel that seated three and hit that thing a few times until it broke in the middle and one of my friends rashes his nuts and taint so bad he ended up in the hospital.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #71
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Remember Edwards hill in HB(HB oil fields)? We made a stretched big wheel that seated three and hit that thing a few times until it broke in the middle and one of my friends rashes his nuts and taint so bad he ended up in the hospital.
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #72
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,441
When I first arrived in Long Beach on 'vacation' I worked for Shadow Ford (Roger Chastain) at the intersection of Hill and Cherry.

That is a BIG hill, still is even in a car.

The Forever 4 Ford model A's used to hill climb it too IIRC.

When I had a used car lot in Long Beach 1111 E. Anaheim, I used to demo my Jeep 4X4's around Signal Hill, that was early 80's, most of the tracks were even gone then, you had to be inventive.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #73
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
well, it's actually not much of a track...2 s-turns (with worn-out berms...not really deep/big enough to use as a berm) and a jump...which is more of a step-up

but hey, it's a 10 min ride from where I live...nice stop after work for some mid-week tire spin...complete with hobo pile of cothes/trash

and honestly, I've scoured a good amount of the area between belmont heights and downtown...just a few gravel sections here and there...a gravel parking lot, and that's about it

northsouth15 screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 12:33 AM
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote