Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #151
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 643
Really enjoyed the vicarious ride. Great report. Used to live in Alaska, driven the Alcan and always look forward to riding it; someday I just gotta do it - but I'll take the ferry back out of Haines and down to Prince Rupert.

PS Yes, save your dimes and spend a few nights at the Baniff Springs Hotel.
Christmas there is magic!!

See you down the road.
IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #152
satz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Having been on the other side , i actually understand your thoughts .You mentioned a thing that you came to motorcycle late and now feel you should have earlier . After a few years we are friends i think.My friend who left i think was in the same boat, he rode ,rode and rode . His gaols from riding where different from me. .It was not the miles but my attitude to be more relaxed and enjoy .. I can stop riding the bike for a day and walk around and be a tourist. I also have realized that i rode past so many places , so fast i regret now that i did not take time to take these places in .

a great read , i have 2 kids 2 and 5 yr old so alaska is a pipe dream for now.

satz

satz screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 08:37 PM
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #153
chilango13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
In retrospect, there were some mistakes made. But don't be so quick to think that the others in the group were some kind of rookies. This was obviously a personal thing and until I'm made aware of something different, my riding style isn't any different than that of Jeff's.

I'm Done......... Carry on...................
You and your son had an awesome experience...thanks for sharing your side of the story...now, I'd like to read your RR and see some pictures!!

Best Regards!
chilango13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #154
Neonguy95
Self Sponsored Rider

Oddometer: 300
Just to clear a couple of things up-

Jeff is a wonderful guy. Gary is a wonderful guy. Shelby never complained once and is probably the most mature out of all of us.

I started getting ill a couple of days before Fairbanks. I ignored it and pushed on. Got to Fairbanks got really ill. Sitting outside the night before Prudhoe Jeff jokingly mentioned leaving for the bay at midnight. I smiled and said go for it. Everything coming out of me at that point and for the following week was liquid.

I woke at 3am in the morning covered in sweat and Jeff was gone. Gary and Shelby left around 7am. I went to a hotel that day and night to try and rest. The following day I watched Jeff's tracks and had already figured out he would be leaving solo. My plan when he left that day was to ride to the Hot Springs, which I attempted, made it half way stopped and feed the bears my breakfast. Returned to Fairbanks; found a very friendly soul who helped me.

I rented a car for the afternoon to buy luggage and ship my sick ass home. I have an issue with my upper intestines and gall bladder. Gall bladder to be removed first and see what happens.

I do not fault either of these guys. What happened - happened. Will I ever do something like this with anyone, probably not. Do I regret this experience; only that it cost two friends.

So ADV guys- easy on Jeff. He did what he needed to; he took care of himself. I took care of myself and Gary and Shelby got some father and son time.

Perhaps one day we will all be able to sit down and talk. I haven't and will not lose any sleep over this. The ADV world stepped up and helped me when I needed it the most. I will forever be grateful to David in Fairbanks.

I apologize it took me this long to respond; I have been staying away from ADV until the bike returns which should be tomorrow.
Neonguy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #155
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Neonguy, Hope you have at least half the good results I did and do without that toxic gallbladder, and that it allows you to have a rich pain-free life afterwards. One of the best medical decisions I made was to yank the gallbladder. Hope you get to say the same thing soon.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #156
ukturfrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Nice report I planned a similar ride out west last yr with one gentleman I coach msf with. Planned to a T but I wanted to see some things and he wanted to see others after we arrived. We spent most of the trip alone and we had a blast. It was o hard feelings at all just gotta be gents about it. Glad u had a good time.
ukturfrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #157
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Riding with others

I want to do a trip like this but with more time, I never could ride with groups, very seldom have I been able to get along, when I do this ride it will be by myself and I will take the whole summer and go where I want when I want!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #158
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
I'm not sure how much time I'd actually take, if I had months to do it. I do know 2 weeks really pushes it. 650 miles a day is a lot. But, I had fun, and under the circumstances I have to deal with, I'd do a 2 week trip again. I had a blast.
As far as riding alone or in a group. That's a matter of personal preference, obviously..
Being alone and having total freedom on where and when you stop is great, but its sure nice to have a chat with someone at dinner, and there are places I'd like to have gone, but didn't because I was alone and on a pretty big bike. (2nd half of trip.)
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote