Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #61
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Shooting an unarmed man in the back. I am a little sick to my stomach. Did someone say the victim will be paralyzed for the rest of his life?
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #62
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,441
Were this Shirt

If you don't look like her you will look like this
Old 08-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #63
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
What is a good thing to do when being pulled over and there is not a good surface to stop the bike on? It might be a big enough surface on the side of the road, but not good for a bike on a sidestand--muddy or sloped, etc.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #64
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
What is a good thing to do when being pulled over and there is not a good surface to stop the bike on? It might be a big enough surface on the side of the road, but not good for a bike on a sidestand--muddy or sloped, etc.
I had that issue a few years ago. There was about ten inches of dirt level with the edge of the road, then it dropped off. I waved to the Law Enforcement officer behind me, looked for a wider spot to stop, then finally realized I wasn't going to find one and just stopped at the edge of the road. His big SUV did a reasonable job of blocking any traffic that might come along.

Stop at a wide spot if you can, but if not, you stop and let them tell you what to do.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #65
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Make clear that you are aware and are trying to pull over (slow down, blinker), but can't safely do so, so slowly keep rolling until you can.

If they want you to stop right there, right now in an unsafe location (unlikely), they will use the PA system to tell you so.
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #66
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,211
Ive had it all; take your helmet off, leave it on, get off the bike, dont move - you name it.

Most of the time (especially in Los Angeles) they want you nowhere near the bike. A popular trick to get away is to let the cop pull you over and once he is out of the car, bolt. So immediately they want you helmet off, and standing off near the squad car.
Having said that, I hear simply removing your helmet and staying put is pretty common. Depends on the cop
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #67
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,211
Quote:
just crash. it will make the cop feel bad

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #68
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Anyone see if the family is taking civil action against the cop and the city? Ought to be good for a few million.
His lifetime of care will cost WAY WAY more than a few million.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #69
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 897
Pull over.

Wait for instructions from officer.

Admit to nothing.

Be very polite.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #70
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,413
I have a standard routine when pulled on the bike. Pull over immediately, bike turned off with key dangling. Officer walks up I ask if its okay for me to step off the bike and remove my helmet. I let the officer know that my papers are in my wallet and where the wallet is. Hand them Drivers license, CCW permit, registration, and Insurance. And I go from there.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #71
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
"Officer back in the military, when I was taught to ask the same question I was taught there is no answer that goes well for the person who is being pulled over... "

Dave
Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #72
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
Pull over.

Wait for instructions from officer.

Admit to nothing.

Be very polite.
Depending on how serious and/or obvious your 'crime' is, admitting it can pay a bonus. If you were 10 over in a 50, admitting it just might get you a pass. I know from experience on the rider's side. If you stand mute, wait for the writing to finish.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #73
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,725
You guys with this admit nothing thing makes me laugh....It is a traffic ticket. When I walk up and ask if I know why I stopped someone I am usually gauging on how the stop will go. If they are hauling ass, and we both know it and they look at me and say they have no idea......ok. If they are honest and say something like.....I guess I was going a bit too fast.....shows maturity and responsibility for their actions. You can always answer without giving too much away. Example

Me: Know why I stopped you
Guy: Guess I was going a bit too fast
Me: You know how fast?
Guy: Fast enough to get your attention
Me: Have a good day sir.

Another Good one......
Me: Sir why were you going so fast?
Guy: Because there is never a cop there
Me: Have a good day sir.

The list goes on.....I should be taking notes, would make a good book when I retire.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #74
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,150
Wow! Getting pulled over seems to be serious business in US.

You guys over think the whole procedure.

Here it's as simple as:

1. Pull over (we have to start somewhere, don't we?)
2. Wait for instructions.
*3. Be polite or not, admit your fault or not, act as you want but live with the consequences.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #75
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 322
I knows I was wrong Officer -

I have never met an Ohio Highway Patrol-person that was anything but a professional. I try to not meet very many of them.

My last stop. Just finished 4+ hours of gravel and township road. Hot. ATGATT. Tired and 5 miles from home. I come to a 5-star intersection at a state route. I have a bad practice of stopping but not always putting my feet down. I look back over my shoulder looking for traffic, I inch forward couple of times. The road is clear and I pull up to the next stop sign - and straight ahead is the Patrol. I wait for him to pull away as he was waiting for me to pull away. I got the hint and headed home. I got about 30 feet when on come the 'party lights'.

I had all the paper work in order, helmet off (Ohio. . . ), about 10" of berm (not good) and he asks if I had come to a complete stop. To be honest, after 150 country road rolling stops - I really didn't know. Here's where I went wrong - I told him "I wasn't sure", and "I'm sorry but I am tired" and "I really try to ride safely". . .

What he was waiting for was me to pull my head out of my *ss and say- "I was wrong and I am guilty and I am sorry." As soon as I did, he said have a nice day and be safe. I guess I was tired enough that I had left my head in the wrong place too long.

My head always tells me to be polite, respect their authority. I don't think playing the jerk will ever help my dilemma.

Now, regarding the 'local yokels' - they ain't always professional in execution (pun intended!).