Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #31
stbob OP
 

Oddometer: 1,032
Phase 2 - Day 6 cont...

Upon reaching Florida, i was greeted with this false advertisement...

The sky really opens up down here at least once a day during the summer according to an anonymous source...
Back home on the farm in the NY tri state area some of these average afternoon showers would be front page breaking news and send people scrambling for milk & bread...
Its futile to pull over & put on rain gear. Even if you're able to get your rain gear on before you're soaked, two miles later your basting in the hot sun again...

Rode south on Floridas A1A scenic highway. Several miles later boarded a ferry for a short journey across the St. Johns River...

Conveniently located on the other side of the river was Singletons Seafood Shack...

To start my meal i had the Gator...

It tastes just like chicken but so does most everything else...

I washed down the gator with the catch of the day, mahi-mahi, aka, dolphin...

Now to find a spot to work off my meal...
stbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #32
stbob OP
 

Day 7 & 8

The start of another day...

The first tourist trap in my path reels me in...

The infamous lizard man...

Some of Florida's finest...

The next waypoint programmed into my gps after the tourist trap in St. Augustines was Daytona Beach. Due to a Florida afternoon typhoon, rode right through without knowing it...

Some roadside stuff along the way...

This was one of the few scheduled stops i had actually planned but crossed off my list when i discovered how steep the price of admission was considering everything on exhibit was paid for with taxpayers money.
And the bastages were charging for parking too...

I opted for some freebie shots instead...

Afterwards dd a little beach combing nearby...

This was as close as i came to finding my own personal genie...

Day 8

A late night visit with some kin in Port St. Lucy...

Early morning visit with more kin...

Starting to alternate between A1A & Rt 1. I prefer to ride A1A along the water but it gets to painfully slow at times...

Fort Lauderdale, more kin...

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...psfc58c1e5.jpg

I have a lot of kin down here, if it weren't for my love of riding, i'd probably move to here too...

The last hurdle before the Keys, navigating the home of Miami Duck...
Old 07-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #33
stbob OP
 

Day 9

The Overseas Highway, long straight road to the Keys.
The ocean views & lack of traffic made it an easy to stomach slab ride...

Giant roadside lobsters help to break up the monotony...

Found a campground in the Sugarloaf Key...

The tenting area was quite large but barren of tents. The camp host could tell i was the anti-social type and warned me that the secluded back nine of the campground was a mosquito haven not for the faint of heart. Having dealt with swarms of gnats all week, i was feeling brave...

By no means was this KOA an offroad park, but camping in the back nine did have its privileges...

Didn't see any gators slithering through the swamp but there was lots of these varmints around...

After setting up camp i rode down to South Street, Key West for a photo op with everybody's favorite concrete buoy...

Wasn't easy to get a shot with just my bike in the picture...

After crossing the concrete buoy off my bucket list, i relished the moment with a cool refreshing beverage...

The concrete buoy claims to be 90 miles to Cuba. I think i got a few feet closer with this shot...

I ditch the bike for dinner...

Gotta have me some of that conch...

Followed by another shelled creature...

And what would desert in the Keys be without some key lime pie...

After chowing down, i wandered around town for awhile...

After having my fill of Key West, it was back to the Sugarloaf KOA camp where i was ambushed. The mosquitoes were out in full force. There would be no ritual lounging with a cup of joe tonight. I retreated into the tent quick. Then i spent the next half hour exterminating the mosquitoes that made it into the tent. The next morning, the start of day 10, i looked like i had the measles sorry no pix...

Day 10
After breaking camp and before departing the Keys, made another stop at
Bahia Honda State Park to hit the beach...

Disclaimer: The following wildlife scenes were obtained using the catch & release method. At no time were any conchs harmed or harvested during this photo session...

Old 07-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #34
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I've been following your RR. What a great trip and a great bike! I will be seeing that part of the country on my GS. Thanks for taking us along.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #35
stbob OP
 

Day 10 cont...

After departing the Keys, set my course for Naples via the Tamiami Trail across the Everglades...
My first pit stop along the way would be an alligator farm...

Just in time for supper & thankful not to be on the menu...

Not just gators, crocodiles too. Crikey! Look at the size of its teeth...!

And no visit to the Everglades would be complete without a swamp boat ride...

After leaving the alligator farm and several miles into crossing the Everglades via the Tamiami Trail, the rain started...
The waterways on both sides of the road were quickly rising...

Mailed off a few post cards to the folks back home...

Took a little detour on this sandy road. Reminded me of some sand highways in the Pine Barrens of NJ except with alligators...

I make it to Naples, still raining...

Day 11

My aunts crib in Naples, Florida is the last scheduled stop on my road trip...

Now it was time to start heading for home. I was going to ride north up the Gulf of Mexico. Then i saw the weather forcast for the entire Gulf side of Florida was for more rain while the east coast was enjoying sunshine. Easy decision, scew the Gulf, i'm heading back east...
Old 07-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #36
stbob OP
 

Day 11

Soon after departing Naples, aborted the ride up the Gulf and headed east on a quest for better weather...

Photo op with Mickey & Minny...

Grabbed a bite to eat and stopped for the night a little past Disneyland...

The cajun crab was excellent but too much work to get it out of the shell...

And some upside down cake for desert...
Old 07-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #37
stbob OP
 

Day 12

Continued my Florida crossing back to the east coast. My destination was now Daytona. I planned to make up for earlier in my road trip when i inadvertently passed it by without stopping to say hello...
Today was the 4th of July and the weather was off to a great start. Lots of the little towns i passed through were setting up for parades & fireworks. After being detoured around one of those parade areas, i stumbled accross what would be one of the nicest roads i rode on while in Florida. The road offered lots of cool shade too from that sun i'd sought out...

Back on the east side...

Hit up the local museum...

Stopped here for a bite then hung around for additional hour before proceeding to my next pit stop...

Raw footage of the beach...

Done playing in the surf, i continued on north still unsure of how to ride the last phase of my road trip home. I'd contemplate this all the way back up the coast while trying to avoid grid lock due to the holiday crowds starting to swell...

After the boat ride back across St Johns river, i started looking to spend what would be my last night in Florida...

The holiday weekend was here & motels vacancy's were scarce and i didn't feel much like crawling into a little tent so didn't even consider that option. The skys were now starting to darken. The weather i fled from on the gulf coast had now caught up with me... After a good soaking i finally found a cheap motel near the state line and was able to get some much needed shuteye...

End of phase 2...
Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #38
stbob OP
 

Finito

Phase 3 - Day 13

Had a tough time dragging my butt out of bed the next morning, was feeling a little sunburnt...
My allotted two weeks time was nearly up and had almost 1000 miles to go to reach home...
The last few days i'd been pondering a saddle sore 1000 ride home, it would also be my first attempt at an iron butt ride...
Now i was committed to it...

Callahan, FL

Calculated the mileage riding up I-95 to be 930 miles home, 70 miles short of a saddle sore 1000. My initial plan was to ride the 930 miles home and ride the other 70 miles after a few hours of sleep...
I rode 250 miles at a clip, fueled up with a quick drink & snack for me. Had on my camelback to stay hydrated while riding. I lucked out the entire ride with no traffic. Thankfully by the time i'd reached the DC area rush hour was long gone...
When i reached my neck of the woods i was in the zone and decided to continue north and complete the 1000 miles in one shot and get it over with. I ended the iron butt ride in Kingston, NY, well over the 70 miles i needed, although now i'd have to ride close to another 100 miles to get back home...

This was my longest road trip to date. I had an excellent time, too bad it had to end...
Thanks to all the inmates who allowed me to share my ride with them. I look forward to my next big one. Until then i'll continue to ride vicariously through the countless other inmates out there...
Old 07-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #39
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Long Way Down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbob View Post
Phase 3 - Day 13

This was my longest road trip to date. I had an excellent time, too bad it had to end...
Thanks to all the inmates who allowed me to share my ride with them. I look forward to my next big one. Until then i'll continue to ride vicariously through the countless other inmates out there...
Great ride report! Thanks for taking the time and effort posting. Finishing off a great road trip with an Iron Butt Saddlesore was a great way to cap things off. We'll have to do this again.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #40
PC-Rider
venturer

Oddometer: 4,234
I'll bet your posterior felt anything but like Iron !!!

Yeah, Sunshine State !

Hangin' out enjoying your freedom.
Nice !

Gator! Really?

(Loved the cat pictures after this too!)

Another great stop.

I guess they had that 13 foot Gator for a long time !!!!

HA HA HA

Nice comment about having to pay to see what we already paid for !

Nice picture.
I remember watching I Dream of Jeannie!

Another really nice picture.

Always good to see relatives.

(Yes, I got your sneaky comment !)

I am sorely disappointed Rob !!!
I keep wondering what it would have looked like !

Congratulations !

Man, that is A LOT of alligators !!!!!

The air boat ride was cool.

Yes it does look like the Pine Barons, except for the palms !!!
Nice choice of routes.
Stay away from the masses !

And yet another nice picture.

And yes, you do look like you got "some" sun !

Glad you made it home.

Great Ride Report Rob.

My Thread of Where I've Been: "PC's Adventures in PIctures"
PC-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #41
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,846
Great ride report . Looks like Key west was fun. I guess I got to get back there some day soon
The pic of the air boat with riding boots cracked me up

I also loved the elk. Who knew there were elk in NC.

Enjoy that GS adventure
Old 07-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #42
EKIN
Couch Junky Heaven

Oddometer: 515
I grew up in Orlando , FL, but relocated to N. Georgia 10 years ago. I have been riding consistently over the past few years in the SE & must say you visited many of the best sites this area has to offer. :

I enjoyed your report. Your pics made me appreciate some of the areas I almost take for granted. If you ever pull a trip together heading west, please let us know. You would make one hell of a tour guide.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #43
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,267
Great fricken RR Bob. That trip seemed pretty cool. I am glad it all worked out well for you.
Read the whole thing on my phone to boot. LOL
Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote