ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #20236
buzzardair
Shrubbery Adventurer
 
buzzardair's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger52 View Post
Did same ride two weeks ago, almost ran over a 5 foot rattlesnake in the road. Beautiful views up there!
I hope to get back up there later this week and see if you can get all the way North to the Cell towers. I went south last time. Lot's of interesting options up there.
buzzardair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #20237
GISkev
wwfsmd?
 
GISkev's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: UT
Oddometer: 1,709
not so swell...

__________________
Merge w the traffic, but don't go w the flow!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #20238
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel
 
warp9man's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Layton Utah
Oddometer: 581
Anybody riding Saturday?
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #20239
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Oddometer: 1,290
Looking at Kev's map it looks like most are on or north of Cedar Mesa. Then a bunch north of Price (which I'm OK with personally). Oddly even though the article mentions it I don't see Eagle canyon on their graphic.

With gas leases they get sold but I believe something like 80% never get developed. Sort of like buying / purchasing a mining claim. You may or may not ever mine it. And then there are more restrictions on public land on top of that that make it harder to extract versus on private land. This is one more reason why its going off in the Uinta basin versus these areas because its hard and expensive to extract in these areas. Also, a lot of the natural gas in the Uinta Basin is being burned off right now because its too expensive to transport if not on a pipeline. I'd expect the same down there unless there is a pipeline, which I don't think there is. (would love to get Rymans thoughts on this). This means oil only, and I don't think there is a lot of oil down there versus gas.

So my take is this is basically a revenue generator for the state from companies who probably can't turn down the options to buy these leases, but they probably won't develop it and I don't expect it will change much. Maybe I'm wrong about it, but that's my take right now...

Edit: also, I'm pretty moderate and I'm even pro-wilderness in some cases, but that trib article was pretty biased and alarmist in my opinion on the side of the wilderness guys. Just the fact we're having this conversation is an example. Clearly our friends at SUWA got their hooks into him, which is unfortunate. It's also front page news for them today. It's true that these areas in some cases have "wilderness characteristics" (aka beautiful) but that is a pretty diluted term from them. The whole swell got completely carved up, worse than anything we've seen, in the 50's looking for uranium. Technically that violates the concept of wilderness because wilderness area are "untouched areas worthy of preserving" and it also shows how quickly and easily the desert heals itself up. Most of what we are riding are old exploratory and mining routes in these areas. Even in cases where its single track...

just mentioning...
__________________
andreshoumatoff.smugmug.com
Grand Staircase Escalante Road Reports

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 10:39 AM
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #20240
YOGOI
Prick
 
YOGOI's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Logan, Utah
Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Looking at Kev's map it looks like most are on or north of Cedar Mesa. Then a bunch north of Price (which I'm OK with personally). Oddly even though the article mentions it I don't see Eagle canyon on their graphic.

With gas leases they get sold but I believe something like 80% never get developed. Sort of like buying / purchasing a mining claim. You may or may not ever mine it. And then there are more restrictions on public land on top of that that make it harder to extract versus on private land. This is one more reason why its going off in the Uinta basin versus these areas because its hard and expensive to extract in these areas. Also, a lot of the natural gas in the Uinta Basin is being burned off right now because its too expensive to transport if not on a pipeline. I'd expect the same down there unless there is a pipeline, which I don't think there is. (would love to get Rymans thoughts on this). This means oil only, and I don't think there is a lot of oil down there versus gas.

So my take is this is basically a revenue generator for the state from companies who probably can't turn down the options to buy these leases, but they probably won't develop it and I don't expect it will change much. Maybe I'm wrong about it, but that's my take right now...

Edit: also, I'm pretty moderate and I'm even pro-wilderness in some cases, but that trib article was pretty biased and alarmist in my opinion on the side of the wilderness guys. Just the fact we're having this conversation is an example. Clearly our friends at SUWA got their hooks into him, which is unfortunate. It's also front page news for them today. It's true that these areas in some cases have "wilderness characteristics" (aka beautiful) but that is a pretty diluted term from them. The whole swell got completely carved up, worse than anything we've seen, in the 50's looking for uranium. Technically that violates the concept of wilderness because wilderness area are "untouched areas worthy of preserving" and it also shows how quickly and easily the desert heals itself up. Most of what we are riding are old exploratory and mining routes in these areas. Even in cases where its single track...

just mentioning...
The negative side effect to off road users when this stuff happens, is that it puts some great riding areas onto SUWA's radar. SUWA wont be able to stop much of the big money energy companies, but it will draw them to the area, and when they see our single track trails they will switch to restricting off road use in the area so that they feel like at least they were able to do/save something.
__________________
Any bike can be taken off road. The question is; How much fun did you have doing it?

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #20241
The Walrus
Gone and back again.
 
The Walrus's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Never Banned
Oddometer: 8,811
harcus and I rode the UTBDR section through there in late June. I told him the story of the road in Wyoming that now connects to Farson. It used to look like the swell (it traversed sagebrush, wetlands and the Green River), but when the O&G folks needed a transport road, they paved it and donated it to the state of Wyo.

I'm surprised it has taken this long but you're going to see major impact and changes. The truth lies somewhere between SUWA's position of no development or single track and the Industry position of park your car and stop heating your home if you don't like it. If we weren't exporting LNG ((NattyG)) and OIL to make money (we should stockpile our own resources, IMHO), I would support the Industry position more than I do. Unfortunately, that's not how the USofA works.....

My advice is to enjoy it as much as you can before the changes get rolling.......
__________________
Everbody's preachin' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
I wanna be skinny, but my ass is too big. - Charles Barkley
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #20242
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI View Post
The negative side effect to off road users when this stuff happens, is that it puts some great riding areas onto SUWA's radar. SUWA wont be able to stop much of the big money energy companies, but it will draw them to the area, and when they see our single track trails they will switch to restricting off road use in the area so that they feel like at least they were able to do/save something.
I used to think that SUWA was mostly concerned about oil & gas and less about off road but this isn't the case. All three are equal "threats" in their eyes and the largest single reason for their greater canyonlands proposal (that I believe is likely DOA right now) is 40% closure of roads. Less on the oil and gas, too expensive to extract there as well. Potash expansion was a thread but the market just collapsed so not so much any more. I would love to support SUWA and am actually pro wilderness in some areas. But just cannot, too far off the deep end in my opinion...
__________________
andreshoumatoff.smugmug.com
Grand Staircase Escalante Road Reports

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #20243
Slickhorn
Professional Dirt Bag
 
Slickhorn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: South of Heaven, UT
Oddometer: 88


99.9% sure this pic is taken within the boundary of one of the sale areas, still looking for a more detailed map, but I believe the northern part of Eagle Canyon, Coal wash etc are on that map between I-70 and the Moore cut-off some amazing canyons, cliffs and wild lands that are currently mostly open to motos on old roads etc...I grew up here, spent a large portion of my life in the Swell...Buckhorn was actually a jeep road at one point in my short life...I remember when they said nine mile would be too expensive to extract from, now that jeep road is paved... I get it, without Uranium exploration many of the places I ride and 4-wheel would be hard to get to, but I'd hate to see those "roads" improved for 18 wheeler access...Or lose access like many places in the Book Cliffs...I agree SUWA is an all or nothing entity which makes it hard them to compromise on anything, but somewhere there has to be a middle ground - leave it as is now, don't make it wilderness and dont start the bulldozers improving roads for more oil...yep I'm a native Utard, conflicted right-wing, gun loving, liberal redneck....If everyone did things my way, I'd be much happier...See you at the garage Andre
__________________
Mountain Life

2008 KTM 990 ADV 990i
2005 KTM 525 MXC
99 Triumph Tiger 885i
Slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #20244
Ryman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 773
Hmmm. Not the best way to start a motorcycle ride.

Hick posted this yesterday on facebook.
__________________

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #20245
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Oddometer: 1,290
Jake couldn't agree more too... I do wish there was some compromise that could be made... And good point about 9 Mile. Basically I think its when they frack it and these wells become really profitable they are willing to put $$ down for a pipeline and make it work. There is a law that allows them to put in a pipe line and that that point it would be 'paved' even if was dirt.. pretty sure there's one under the road in 9 mile.. But it also still has to go through another round of public comment to allow building of it, but by then its usually too late...

Here are photos of when we were up in the area last fall with Harcus and gisKEV, these are some of the old uranium and seizemic roads, up on Cedar Mesa. The roads up there are pretty fast and groomed already so this is where I was thinking it really didn't matter too much to me. This was a great little section but a road to nowhere. I spent about a month checking out almost all of the old seismic roads on the maps and google maps in the area in an effort to stay off the groomed roads. This is north of buckhorn...



some of the land and "unimpressive tundra" - also lots of private ranches just north of here...



agreed that north Eagle Canyon etc would be a travesty... This is central southern (I'm sure we all know this spot) but plenty of time down there and on Eva Connover as well...
__________________
andreshoumatoff.smugmug.com
Grand Staircase Escalante Road Reports

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #20246
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Hick posted this yesterday on facebook.
In KTMs defense. He broke a DR400. How do you do that?

Did I just defend KTM??? My bad.

Bummer for Hick. All that planning and have that bolt break off. Hope they can get
it back on the road in time.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #20247
Ryman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
In KTMs defense. He broke a DR400. How do you do that?

Did I just defend KTM??? My bad.

Bummer for Hick. All that planning and have that bolt break off. Hope they can get
it back on the road in time.
The real question is how do we compare hicks stripped down bike to a sexy goat?

__________________

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444

Ryman screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 11:23 AM
Ryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #20248
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
The real question is how do we compare hicks stripped down bike to a sexy goat?
They both exist only to pleasure Walrus???
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #20249
Digger52
Adventurer
 
Digger52's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardair View Post
I hope to get back up there later this week and see if you can get all the way North to the Cell towers. I went south last time. Lot's of interesting options up there.

You can get to within about 500 yards or so on the road but then they have a gate to keep people out. Wish I could join you but too much work to do this weekend.
Digger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #20250
The Walrus
Gone and back again.
 
The Walrus's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Never Banned
Oddometer: 8,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
The real question is how do we compare hicks stripped down bike to a sexy goat?


Goat wins....don't ask me any questions.....and I won't tell you no lies......

__________________
Everbody's preachin' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
I wanna be skinny, but my ass is too big. - Charles Barkley
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014