Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #6541
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
WOW! Just incredible! So glad LDF is doing OK and I am glad she will be wearing the new 6D helmet in the future. Totally subscribed to this RR and look forward to each new installation...
Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #6542
TonsOfFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
While sport touring through Colorado last month we noticed about half the riders were not wearing a helmet, I guess brain injury protection is low priority for them.
TonsOfFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #6543
dustyrider
dirt is just better

Oddometer: 105
Question LDF, a request if you please.

Once you've come back to the comfortable place of non-injury, would you be willing to write up a short description of the process of concussion with advice on how best to recognize and handle the effects of a terrible blow to the noggin? Your medical background would allow you to perceive symptoms and stages of recovery that may elude the civilian riding population. From the comments made by Dr. Rock and yourself, I have recognized symptoms of concussion that I have had but didn't connect to the event that lead to them.

Dizziness, nausea, a sneaking suspicion that parts of your brain aren't talking to other parts as though it's had a lover's spat with itself. Maybe, without outside observance, a mild (or worse) concussion dulls thought processes just enough to prevent the person in question from understanding what is going on.

I've been in that foggy zone--well, not foggy because It feels rather normal until you try to do something that you think you used to know how to do. Things like, oh, remembering stuff. It takes a weirdly long time to come back from a good thump on the head. Or a long weirdly time. By the by, I've never seen anyone get a shiner like that from their own helmet. Impressive!

Ride on!

dustyrider screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 09:53 PM
dustyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #6544
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I've never been convinced that $800 buys you any more safety in a DOT-approved helmet than $80 does. .........

I agree. But I also think that fit is very important. Arai helmets fit me very well. Though I did just buy a Shoei street helmet that fits great. I bought an AFX ($120) Dualsport helmet that fit very well, but it literally fell apart. I only wore it a dozen or so times. The Arai helmets I have owned lasted for years and years.

I have read studies that suggest that the non -DOT (cheaper) helmets will protect you better in most crashes because they are softer and will absorb energy better at most (slower) crash speeds.

As I get older, I'm 55, injuries worry me more...... I would throw her helmet away.
rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #6545
Slash1
Glad To Be Here

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
I agree. But I also think that fit is very important. Arai helmets fit me very well. Though I did just buy a Shoei street helmet that fits great. I bought an AFX ($120) Dualsport helmet that fit very well, but it literally fell apart. I only wore it a dozen or so times. The Arai helmets I have owned lasted for years and years.

I have read studies that suggest that the non -DOT (cheaper) helmets will protect you better in most crashes because they are softer and will absorb energy better at most (slower) crash speeds.

As I get older, I'm 55, injuries worry me more...... I would throw her helmet away.
I'm with Rufus here. The damage to the shell after an impact may not be visible, but it's there. I set my helmet up on my mirror and started pushing the bike in a parking lot recently. Of course, I bumped the helmet, which went flying and crashed on the pavement. It then rolled about 35 feet. Perhaps not a crash-sized impact, but in my mind a significant one. Your head is always worth a new, undamaged helmet. I'm enjoying mine.

I hope that doesn't sound "preachy." It's motivated by genuine concern.
Slash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #6546
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
There was a lot of buzz about the Snell standard being too rigid, and potentially not protecting as well as it should. In the past few years they have changed their standard.

If I was a more of a dirt rider, I'd seriously consider one of those 6D helmets. I hope they make the industry sit up and notice.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #6547
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
M12 is a go

It's gonna happen. A kinder + gentler route. Top priorities are to avoid sand, and to avoid head bonks. Easy dirt, with no sand (I hope), with available bail-outs and go-arounds. A counterclockwise loop from Las Vegas, playing around in the Arizona Strip, dipping into the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (Twin, Kelly, and Sublime points), then kicking up to Escalante before heading East to The Dingweeds' top secret ADVentureRanch™ in the SE UT 4-corners area.

The return leg will be at higher elevations when possible, slightly to the North of the BryZion tourist RV-o'-Rama-canyons, fully indulging in easy dirt, at our own pace, with some awesome camping, spectacular views, and maybe some day hikes thrown in for good measure.

Route building, digital scouting, GPS loading + testing, and packing lists are done. Departure is Sept. 13th. Will be posting Spot tracking links shortly.

For anyone interested in more details, the proposed route with waypoints are available in a zip file here which will decompress to a folder with with two files of the route + waypoints in the following formats: .GPX for BaseCamp, and .KML for Google Earth.

Happy times are here again.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #6548
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,717
Laugh Awesome, looking forward to it...

...mellow is a good thing. be safe, have fun.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #6549
dustyrider
dirt is just better

Oddometer: 105
Talking

Whee! Mobius is back. Looking forward to the next stage. Have a great time.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #6550
Easterner
Just Landed

Oddometer: 304
I understand the circumstances but we need our script filled as I am sure both of you do too, enjoy and safe travels.

Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #6551
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Im on the road and only have a phone so can't check your gps file but it looks like you are going right past House of Fire near Blanding. It worth the 30 minute hike.
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #6552
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,954
Are you sure you guys aren't trying to avoid me?

I leave for NYC on September 12th.

You both take care and have fun.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #6553
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,343
Will be waiting and watching for the journey to begin. Thanks for the heads up and Bon Voyage!

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #6554
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
Looks fantastic!

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #6555
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

Until the 6D.
Given the badness of repeat concussions, this morning before leaving for work, I ordered a 6D helmet from Revzilla for Francine. They're certainly pricy, but her brain is worth it.

the helmet of the Geico Honda team. Eli Tomac move over.

hope all is well and all further trips ER free.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote