Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #4111
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,691
QAT,,,SPA,,,,POR,,,FRA,,,CAT,,,,GBR,,,NED,,,,ITA,, ,,GER,,,,USA,,,ZE,,,,IND,,,RSM
,13,,,,,7,,,,,,,Ret,,,,10,,,,,10,,,,,,,7,,,,,,Ret, ,,,,12,,,,,,12,,,,,,11,,,,Ret,,,,Ret,,,,,12

ARA,,,,,JPN,,,,,,AUS,,,,MAL,,,,,VAL
Ret,,,,,,DNS,,,,,,10,,,,,,C,,,,,,,,,8

14th

Not all that horrible for trying to ride a turnip truck in your first year
dontlr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #4112
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
Yep. Right there next to Spies, Dovi ...
Abraham-career races 130, wins 1, podiums 2, World Championships 0
Dovizioso-career races 196, wins 10, podiums 63, World Championships 1
Ben Spies-career races ***, wins 59, podiums **, World championships 1, National 4

Ya man, totally comparable!

Good luck to him though.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #4113
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Well. they won't have to listen to him from next year, BBC has no longer got the MotoGP rights from 2014 in the UK so Cox and Parrish won't be commentating.
Unless BTsport signs them as commentators.
Ryder, Moody and Spalding are Eurosport which also has lost the rights.
Interesting to think who is going to present the MotoGP on BTsport?
What I have heard (but I may be misinformed) is that it will be Keith Huewen and Neil Hodgson. There was some talk of Ryder commentating as well. It is possible that all three will be signed. I suspect that they may also get back a pitlane reporter, though who that might be, I don't know. Also, there will be much more of a show built around all three clases.
Kropotkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #4114
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 615
I hope it works for who-ever is going to watch BTsport, I can't justify 15 a month for it so I'll be waving goodbye to MotoGP in English anyway.
I could always try and get another dish setup for 19ş and watch a Continental feed if there is one FTA.
I think the idea is good to raise the profile of GP racing but I coan't see viewership increasing when so many people are near to the limit on spending anyway.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #4115
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
...if there is one FTA.
Yeah. Is there any?
Next year in Italy MotoGp will be aired from paytv. WSBK also from 2015. We're screwed...

auguzt screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 03:43 AM
auguzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #4116
Dunewar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
A twitter comment yesterday showed a nice statistic on wins :

Marquez has now 4 motogp career wins, there are only 3 guys on the current grid doing better : Rossi, Lorenzo and Pedrosa.

Even Hayden only has 3, despite his championship. That is a scary statistic, but surely puts the Abraham discussion in a different light.

I for one like Abraham : he brings a new team to the sport, he is competitive with guys on likewise equipment (at least he was last year), and he is not spanish so he gets media attention outside of spain.

I am convinced that every guy on the MotoGP grid has earned his place, and I'm sure there are 10x more that could do it but never got there. To go from a worthy contender to winning races, that is however a big step!

If you look back at GP history, at least we are not having races anymore where even the second guy is lapped! The difference between the frontrunners and the backrunners was much much bigger 30 years ago.
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #4117
obnoxious2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunewar View Post

Marquez has now 4 motogp career wins, there are only 3 guys on the current grid doing better : Rossi, Lorenzo and Pedrosa.

Even Hayden only has 3, despite his championship. That is a scary statistic, but surely puts the Abraham discussion in a different light.

I for one like Abraham : he brings a new team to the sport, he is competitive with guys on likewise equipment (at least he was last year), and he is not spanish so he gets media attention outside of spain.

I am convinced that every guy on the MotoGP grid has earned his place, and I'm sure there are 10x more that could do it but never got there. To go from a worthy contender to winning races, that is however a big step!

If you look back at GP history, at least we are not having races anymore where even the second guy is lapped! The difference between the frontrunners and the backrunners was much much bigger 30 years ago.
There are definitely a few guys that don't belong on the motogp grid. Karel is definitely one of them. All I notice is him binning his bike every race whether it is the beginning, middle or latter stages. But he'll keep on riding cause his rich daddy owns the Brno circuit.
obnoxious2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #4118
Dunewar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by obnoxious2 View Post
There are definitely a few guys that don't belong on the motogp grid. Karel is definitely one of them. All I notice is him binning his bike every race whether it is the beginning, middle or latter stages. But he'll keep on riding cause his rich daddy owns the Brno circuit.
What about De Puniet? Hernandez? Heck, half of the CRT field are binning the bike weekly
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #4119
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,483
Motogp needs money and if KA's Dad can fund a team then so be it. By winning a Moto 2 race he has shown that he has the skills to be there. He also has a college Degree and is working on his masters or PHD right now.

Get off the kids jock and cut him some slack.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #4120
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
What about De Puniet? Hernandez? Heck, half of the CRT field are binning the bike weekly
I guess my view is that I prefer to see guys there who have had to fight tooth and nail to earn it. IE: scoring enough and winning enough to have a sponsor see that it's worth their investment.
In non-profit sports, to a higher degree, you get attention, medals, and maybe some cash thrown at you because you have trained and have talent. Nobody's paying Anton Krupiczka or Scott Jurek to the finish line.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #4121
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,178
Quote:
Hernandez is still young.
DePuniet I don't understand why he's still there, other than for the camera shots of his lady.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #4122
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
. . . other than for the camera shots of his lady.
Okay, that's enough for me.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #4123
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,814
Quote:

That is a very sad stat indeed. I of course fact checked it and it was accurate.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #4124
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
. He also has a college Degree and is working on his masters or PHD right now.

Get off the kids jock and cut him some slack.
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2012/Abraham+Law+Degree

Just two days after racing at the bwin Czech Republic Grand Prix, he passed his university graduation exams in law at Jošt academy.

"For me, the race weekend has only just finished. I was studying every day – even during the Grand Prix itself. Paradoxically, I think it helped me get rid of some of the stress associated with the race, because I had something completely different to worry about. Now I’m glad to have them both behind me, and that they both worked out OK," explains the Czech motorcycle racer, now able to relax. But not for too long - there are less than three weeks to prepare for the San Marino Grand Prix at the Misano World Circuit.

For a rider to be in the MotoGP starting field and have a degree is something almost unique. "As far as I know, Roberto Rolfo from Moto2 studied literature at uni in Turin, but although most of the lads from MotoGP have got what it takes to study at that level, they’ve decided to invest all their time into their racing careers," reflects Abraham. Finishing three years of university are only first step for his higher education. "I would like to continue in a Master’s course."
dontlr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #4125
sailor22
Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer: 371
From Crash Net;

"After the race in Indianapolis, we know that our riders are both very motivated!"

"After no upgrades again at Indianapolis the riders begin to wonder if Ducati and Audi are both very motivated!"

fixed
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote