ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,200
You might not get to ride through Rocky Gap this year due to the fire we had last month near there.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #17
speedygee68
dirt eater

Oddometer: 221
Which bike to ride?

Did it on my Husky 610 last year and had a lot of fun. But, I was wondering how many have done it on the big bike. Would you do it on a 990? I still gotta put a stabilizer and upgrade the susp. Inquiry minds want to know

08 KTM 990S, 08 Husky TE610,
speedygee68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygee68 View Post
Did it on my Husky 610 last year and had a lot of fun. But, I was wondering how many have done it on the big bike. Would you do it on a 990? I still gotta put a stabilizer and upgrade the susp. Inquiry minds want to know
if you're good at riding long sections of sand on your beast then go for it, but there's a 17 mile section of sand that catches people off guard.

last year there was not an "ADVenture route" like the previous year which the large bikes weren't too stoked about, but keep in mind, this is a "Dual Sport" ride. always has been. to a lot of these folks, a 525(510cc) is big.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
LVCJT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
You might not get to ride through Rocky Gap this year due to the fire we had last month near there.

Rocky gap is open now. I would think Lovell and Trout will be open by them as well.

Sent from the depths of my pockets
LVCJT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
SlowJoefromBako
Aint livin long like

Oddometer: 41
Big bike speedgee68

I rode my 990 last year, the best orgainized ride/ trip of my life. I would definitely spend some time riding sand, soft sand. A streering dampener is a must, I blew the seals/oil out of my GPR dampener just after sandy valley last year. Once you get comfortable in the soft stuff youll find the big girl really eats the miles... this is what the 990 was meant for. This year is going to be different. ....
SlowJoefromBako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #21
dirtyguy
Just do it, damn it!

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
+1

I'm actually pre-running the course this weekend*.

*From 20,000 feet at 600 mph.
I just registered as well, going to be first time for me! Does anyone know how and where to refuel along the way?

'09 Husky TE-510
dirtyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyguy View Post
I just registered as well, going to be first time for me! Does anyone know how and where to refuel along the way?
Any chevron or Mobil that's on the way will do. I think there is a shell in Johannesburg.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #23
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,387
Quote:
Just read your rollchart.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #24
dirtyguy
Just do it, damn it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Just read your rollchart.
Thanks, I never used a roll chart before and when I read the info on the D37 forums, it said that the charts will be handed out at the beginning of the event.
I was also looking for any gps tracks and couldn't find any for this year's ride.
Sorry for my noob questions.

'09 Husky TE-510
Old 08-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #25
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
Quote:
Thanks, I never used a roll chart before and when I read the info on the D37 forums, it said that the charts will be handed out at the beginning of the event.
I was also looking for any gps tracks and couldn't find any for this year's ride.
Roll chart is a piece if cake.... It will tell you exactly where gas is.. And where you must get it as not to get stranded....
Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
there is gas stations along the tracks all day. you need capacity to go 90 miles between gas stops.

Quote:
buy a roll chart holder. info on page 1. it's not hard to use, just make sure your ODO works and have a Garmin GPS.

no need for past tracks. it's desert riding. mostly 2 track and power line roads. some single track on the "hard routes" which are voluntary and will join up with the regular route. and the tracks change every year.

be advised that there is a lot of sand. it's the desert. and rocks. again, it's the desert.

it will be cold at 6AM. last year it was 40, the year before it was 25. daytime temps can be in the 80's but probably most likely the mid 60's to mid 70's.

dress in layers and think about installing heated grips. buy a balaclava, winter gloves, and maybe a skull cap.

in the 5 years I've done this ride, it has not rained, but is a possibility. have a rain pullover ready or pack a trash bag. and some guys wear rubber surgical gloves under their moto gloves to hold in the heat on cold mornings.

go to the District 37 forum and download the entry page. it has other info in it for you.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #27
dirtyguy
Just do it, damn it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
there is gas stations along the tracks all day. you need capacity to go 90 miles between gas stops.

buy a roll chart holder. info on page 1. it's not hard to use, just make sure your ODO works and have a Garmin GPS.

no need for past tracks. it's desert riding. mostly 2 track and power line roads. some single track on the "hard routes" which are voluntary and will join up with the regular route. and the tracks change every year.

be advised that there is a lot of sand. it's the desert. and rocks. again, it's the desert.

it will be cold at 6AM. last year it was 40, the year before it was 25. daytime temps can be in the 80's but probably most likely the mid 60's to mid 70's.

dress in layers and think about installing heated grips. buy a balaclava, winter gloves, and maybe a skull cap.

in the 5 years I've done this ride, it has not rained, but is a possibility. have a rain pullover ready or pack a trash bag. and some guys wear rubber surgical gloves under their moto gloves to hold in the heat on cold mornings.

go to the District 37 forum and download the entry page. it has other info in it for you.
Ok, cool. I'm ordering a roll chart now. Thanks for the info. I've ridden several times in Mohave / Redrock SP so I think I know the type of terrain. Sand is not too bad but I heard there's some pretty tough rocky hill climbs, I guess I'll find out soon enough

'09 Husky TE-510
Old 08-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #28
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post

One year Charles just wore surgical gloves...... That's it.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R View Post
One year Charles just wore surgical gloves...... That's it.
we've got pics. wanna see.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #30
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,678