User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
kdscoates OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,477
why does mileage scare people from the 950

I have a 06 950 adv with 39,000 miles I have another friend with a 06 950 sm that is showroom clean with 43,000 and another friend that has a 05.5 950 adv
with over 40,000 that is off road 90% of the time and when any us try to sell all we hear is " I am concerned about all the miles"

This confuses me
I bought my 950 in november of 07 so I have had it for 6 years and put 39,000 miles on it , so that is 6500 miles a year, That's nothing!!
I have another bike and wife's bike I ride occasionally. I do not keep up but between them all I ride about 15,000 miles a year. Which is 1250 miles a month which is about 400 miles a week, I ride 300 on my day off Friday and then another 100 miles with my old guy crew on Sunday.

I bought my bikes to RIDE them not to tell the neighbors I have one.I just do not get this the KTM'S are enduro race machines the 950
motor was built for Dakar I just don't see why the rumors of reliability Issue fly around.
I must admit as much as this site helps with the KTM 950 I think it hurts cause most of time people only post when they have some problem so all the people read is problems, problems and more Problems.

Just my thoughts!
Have a great day!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,808
It doesnt matter what bike it is,people want a used bike with 0 miles if they can get it,preferably for very,very little money. I had a guy show up and went over the bike ft to back,worried about "fading" on the handlebars,was sure the bike had sun fading. I told him I rode it outdoors mostly.

Ive had a 2011 KTM 530 for sale a little while,people call or show up expecting to get it for 6 grand with 1600 miles on it.
I'll end up keeping it most likely.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
KTMs in particular have a little bit of a stigma against them about being unreliable, due to some past models that had issues with the engine design. The new ones are much better, but I think people are still concerned, becuase KTMs can be pricey to fix. It's like comparing a Chevy to a BMW, with the KTM being the BMW I suppose.
1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 407
Bmw????!!!

KTM Adventures are more like the Range Rover of the bike world. Practical, comfortable, strong brand image, and with proper off road capability. Shit, Range Rovers are unreliable.....shut the feck up Martynho

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
KTMs in particular have a little bit of a stigma against them about being unreliable, due to some past models that had issues with the engine design. The new ones are much better, but I think people are still concerned, becuase KTMs can be pricey to fix. It's like comparing a Chevy to a BMW, with the KTM being the BMW I suppose.
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
kdscoates OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
But yet they will buy BMW'S with 60,000 miles knowing the final drive is going to break.

I have to disagree about the pricey to fix comment, KTM dealers or mechanics are not any more or any less then all the dealer rates. Parts are in the same price range as well. Most things can be done easily at home with normal tools.
Just dont get it I owned a 640 that was a awesome bike that was trouble free!

I also have a friend with a 950 with got be over 90,000 miles on it and he rides the piss out of it!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
A local shop (here in Perth, Australia) has a 08 KTM 990 on the floor for months (not sure if it ever sold). I bought a new 11 KTM 990 with the expectation that i would keep it to the bitter end so have no expectation on resale. I just enjoy the bike. I guess that is the attitude you need to have with 'exotic' machinery.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 407
Keeper....yes!

My 2010 990R now has close to 80,000kms on it. Admittedly I did have the top end refreshed and new rings put in at 50K after it swallowed something nasty in Bolivia. I had some immobilser issues (solved) and had to replace a dodgy TPS but no biggie. Other than that it is remarkably reliable given the treatment it gets here in Chile

Point is, the 990ADV is the last big RACE DIRTBIKE made for the road. Given its replacement and other alternatives out there right now, makes it a keeper like you say. I will just keep on top of mine and run it forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
A local shop (here in Perth, Australia) has a 08 KTM 990 on the floor for months (not sure if it ever sold). I bought a new 11 KTM 990 with the expectation that i would keep it to the bitter end so have no expectation on resale. I just enjoy the bike. I guess that is the attitude you need to have with 'exotic' machinery.
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
txbear55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
I think it's the same mentality as not wanting to buy a car with 100,000+ miles (or 200,000)...even though it is not uncommon to hear of examples doing just that with no major repair issues outside of alternators, water and fuel pumps, etc.

Most motorcycles don't get lots of miles run up in this country, so when you see one with 50,000+, you want to search longer for one with significantly less.
txbear55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho View Post
My 2010 990R now has close to 80,000kms on it. Admittedly I did have the top end refreshed and new rings put in at 50K after it swallowed something nasty in Bolivia. I had some immobilser issues (solved) and had to replace a dodgy TPS but no biggie. Other than that it is remarkably reliable given the treatment it gets here in Chile

Point is, the 990ADV is the last big RACE DIRTBIKE made for the road. Given its replacement and other alternatives out there right now, makes it a keeper like you say. I will just keep on top of mine and run it forever
^This

No other MFG sells a big ass comfortable dirtbike like the adventure, it's one of a kind.

On the mileage matter, people are fearsome of every bike with high mileage. Not only of KTM's.
And they are scared because they don't know any better. Allot of people think 50k is like the end of a bikes enginelife.
They also resort to the dealership for every little fart so they are scared if it is not called Honda or BMW. Because they believe those 2 brands are synonyms for reliability.

The branding of KTM is still in the unreliable category.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
Unruled
950S

Oddometer: 118
As said, people fear high mileage, fullstop. A small exception can be made for bikes that are advertized as highly reliable (even if they're not) rather than, for instance, fun. High mileage on a Honda ST1300 for instance, doesn't really scare anyone. A 1200GS is said to just have been run in after 30.000 miles. Unless the bike is famous for being an exception, people fear the miles.

Doesn't help that the big KTM's started off slightly unreliable, with waterpump issues and sidestands causing expensive engine rebuilds. The engines themselves are fairly bombproof when maintained well, but the damage was done a long time ago.

Not necessarily a bother, I just buy older bikes for cheap as no one else wants them for silly reasons :P
Old 08-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unruled View Post
As said, people fear high mileage, fullstop. A small exception can be made for bikes that are advertized as highly reliable (even if they're not) rather than, for instance, fun. High mileage on a Honda ST1300 for instance, doesn't really scare anyone. A 1200GS is said to just have been run in after 30.000 miles. Unless the bike is famous for being an exception, people fear the miles.

Doesn't help that the big KTM's started off slightly unreliable, with waterpump issues and sidestands causing expensive engine rebuilds. The engines themselves are fairly bombproof when maintained well, but the damage was done a long time ago.

Not necessarily a bother, I just buy older bikes for cheap as no one else wants them for silly reasons :P
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
^This

No other MFG sells a big ass comfortable dirtbike like the adventure, it's one of a kind.

On the mileage matter, people are fearsome of every bike with high mileage. Not only of KTM's.
And they are scared because they don't know any better. Allot of people think 50k is like the end of a bikes enginelife.
They also resort to the dealership for every little fart so they are scared if it is not called Honda or BMW. Because they believe those 2 brands are synonyms for reliability.

Too true about the resorting to dealership thing,as the years go by less and less people get exposed to fixing their own stuff at home at an early age.
I talk to kids with dirtbikes who take them to a dealer for oil changes and other basics,they have no clue,their dad never showed them a thing about wrenches. So a bike with miles on it may need maintenance sooner,that means 90.00 an hour at the dealer.

And then many people run a bike out till its ready for a bunch of maintenance,that costs money so time to sell.

The new "full race" tuned 4 stroke dirtbikes are death on the marketplace,short lived when new and more so when used. One false move by a novice mechanic can destroy them in a heartbeat.

I simply cant imagine trusting or using a local dealer to work on my bikes,the stories Ive heard are enough for me.
Im dam lucky my dad started early showing me the wrench business.

(Ive had 14 KTM's since 1978,none have broke,only basic maintenance)
Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
^This

The reliability statistics Ive seen all show BMW to be the most unreliable with the most expensive breakdowns by a pretty wide margin.
People like that roundel though.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
They don't want headache
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
DiRtsoUP
Sweatychef

Oddometer: 83
It's not the mileage so much as it is the uncertainy of proper care or lack of. Some of the stuff I've have seen in my day is why I only buy new. This way I only have myself to blame if I mis-wrench something (which of course never happens).

Too many damn people playing where they shouldn't....IMO high mileage bikes only increase the likely hood of issues....I like a clear mind at 140kms.
DiRtsoUP is offline   Reply With Quote