Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #8311
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Anybody have any ideas for a decent street biased DS tire for the KLX? I've promised Mrs. Stain no more off road till next year and I rode mine for the first time tonight. What a fun little bike - but the big assed knobby tires on it are LOUD and it seems a shame to ruin good knobbies on tarmac...
I use shinko 244s and pretty happy with on/off road performance. They exceed my riding capability on the street. If I were to go more street biased, I would check out the 705s.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #8312
DirtyTieDye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Posted this in another thread. Hope for more answers here.

Im becoming comfortable enough with my bike now to begin considering taking my camera. (As this is my part time gig.) But I'd rather not have to deal with a backpack, unless I absolutely have to.
I was thinking about going with a pelican on a luggage rack. This leaving room on the side to maybe add a gas tank or saddle bags in the future.
My question about the Pelican case and luggage rack is two parts really.
1. What rack and Pelican?
2. Can the padding inside a Pelican case absorb enough of the bouncing and vibrations associated with riding offroad and protect my gear?

I know the suspension on these bikes make this smoother for the rider, but how much does the rack and case bounce around?
I'd be looking to haul around a full body DSLR, 1 maybe 2 lenses, and some other small stuff.
DirtyTieDye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #8313
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyTieDye View Post
Im becoming comfortable enough with my bike now to begin considering taking my camera. (As this is my part time gig.) But I'd rather not have to deal with a backpack, unless I absolutely have to.
I was thinking about going with a pelican on a luggage rack. This leaving room on the side to maybe add a gas tank or saddle bags in the future.
2. Can the padding inside a Pelican case absorb enough of the bouncing and vibrations associated with riding offroad and protect my gear?

I know the suspension on these bikes make this smoother for the rider, but how much does the rack and case bounce around?
I'd be looking to haul around a full body DSLR, 1 maybe 2 lenses, and some other small stuff.
Pelican 1500 case should be adequate and I believe comes with foam.

Look at http://www.pmracks.com. Their stuff is nice and I ordered a set for myself.

I can't comment on the bouncing, but a pelican with the foam should provide enough protection for camera gear.

Good luck.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #8314
GS750T
GS750T

Oddometer: 366
C-Stain
Anybody have any ideas for a decent street biased DS tire for the KLX? I've promised Mrs. Stain no more off road till next year and I rode mine for the first time tonight. What a fun little bike - but the big assed knobby tires on it are LOUD and it seems a shame to ruin good knobbies on tarmac...

Another vote for the Shinko244's. Only have about 400 miles on them but got caught in the rain twice. Not as squirly as full knobbies on the street in rain.
07 klx 250
GS750T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #8315
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
How far to the street side do you want to go? Kenda K761 would be smooth on the street.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #8316
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
How far to the street side do you want to go? Kenda K761 would be smooth on the street.

Thanks! .

Those might just do the trick - I'll check the books at the shop when I'm back on Tuesday - and probably order myself a set.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #8317
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Thanks! .

Those might just do the trick - I'll check the books at the shop when I'm back on Tuesday - and probably order myself a set.
Shinko 705 is very similar also, and a bit cheaper.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #8318
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Just ordered the Bill Blue 351 kit for my 06 that I picked up a few months ago. I recently added the fmf q4 muffler and power bomb header.

Also I mounted up the pegs I made.

Stock vs new pegs. New ones are 2 3/8" x 3 7/8" made from 3/16 x 1 steel with teeth cut every 3/8 of an inch.

I also picked up a kick start kit that I will be installing when I do the 351 big bore kit. I'm going to turn this bike into a short to medium range adventure bike. More to follow in the coming months.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #8319
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post
Just ordered the Bill Blue 351 kit for my 06 that I picked up a few months ago. I recently added the fmf q4 muffler and power bomb header.

Also I mounted up the pegs I made.

Stock vs new pegs. New ones are 2 3/8" x 3 7/8" made from 3/16 x 1 steel with teeth cut every 3/8 of an inch.
Those pegs are Bad Ass dude. Nice work.
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #8320
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyTieDye View Post

Here's what I got
http://m.kawasakiforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=40398
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #8321
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS750T View Post
C-Stain

Another vote for the Shinko244's. Only have about 400 miles on them but got caught in the rain twice. Not as squirly as full knobbies on the street in rain.
I put Pirelli Scorpion MT/90's on my bike and love them. Here's some more info on them.
http://m.kawasakiforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=38762
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #8322
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,090
I used to have good things to say about the Kenda Trakmaster II's. But the rear tire I put on not too long ago, that has about 300 miles on it, is chunking. Most of the center knobs are starting to tear off. Gonna replace it with a Pirelli MT43.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #8323
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards View Post
Those pegs are Bad Ass dude. Nice work.
Thanks for the compliment. I'll be posting up more pictures soon. I'm going to add the kick start kit when I do the 351 big bore kit. It's already a fun bike but the 100 extra cc's should really be a blast.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #8324
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Well, the whole family has dirt bikes, except ol' Sweetwater...figured this would do well on the trails and be fun in the mountains:

I see there's a lot to read here, but the new-to-me bike already got an oil change and a tank flush and fresh 93 octane today. It ran very well when I viewed it this morning, but it had been sitting over a year. Really didn't think it would crank on that old gas, but it did, and you could smell it

My first lesson in KLXness was laying the bike gently on its left side to get the filter spring back into place during oil change. Worked like a charm and the bike is pleasantly light.

My second lesson was that the bar plugs are D E E P! No way to mount my Cycra guards without getting new bars, unless I'm missing something. Any comments on that? I already drilled 2" deep trying to bust plugs out and I even employed the hammer to no avail. New bars wouldn't hurt my feelings since the OEMs are just slightly tweaked by PO.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #8325
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
My second lesson was that the bar plugs are D E E P! No way to mount my Cycra guards without getting new bars, unless I'm missing something. Any comments on that? I already drilled 2" deep trying to bust plugs out and I even employed the hammer to no avail. New bars wouldn't hurt my feelings since the OEMs are just slightly tweaked by PO.
New bars, drill and tap, or cut 1/8" around the end of the bar with a dremel and pull the weights out. I did the latter and used cycra ends with my highway dirt bike guards. Works fine for me.