User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #346
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Bummer,,,

That cam follower bearing must have gave up a long time ago for it to grind the cam down like that.

They need checking at 90 hours and if they look good, run it a bit longer and check again or just replace at ~120 hours.

Or can just keep a record on your valve adjustments. Every time you have to tighten the valves up it usually means the pins and needles have worn a bit.

Valve checks at 30 hours x 4 times having to tighten them up = 120 hours and they may look like this, or this;

Two different bearings..

First one is my first one.. It went 250 hours then It messed up the cam,,,

this one just scratched the cam a little. 150 hours.

That's bearing dust on the end of the magnet, I found it in the puddle beneath the cam lobes.

It's not worth it to let them go too long without replacing.
This is how I have been fixing the new bearings in the rocker arms;

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #347
garet55947
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Considering buying an '06 FE650!

Looking at an 06 FE 650 with 2700 miles. Is this bike known for a lot of engine noise, like moving parts inside thin wall engine cases? Any worries if maint has been kept up to date? Cam chain replaced, valves adjusted and ol changed every three tanks of gas. Oh yeah, $4600 with lots of mods. Advice please, this is an offbeat ride. Thanks.
'02 DR650
'75 R90S DO
garet55947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #348
RingGap
UK Expat

Oddometer: 103
They are noisy engines, nothing like Jap 4strokes, oil filter changes are critical as factory recommends replace every 10 race hrs, there's a plastic screen on lower RH side case that's required to clean every 5 race hrs, you can lay bike on left side and remove to clean without having drain all the oil,
Min recommendations is oil/filter every 50 hrs light street / trail use, 04 - 08 are the best models

Husaberg FX550e - GAS GAS 321 TXT

GONE
Ducati 999R - 1960 200 SS
MV Agusta F1000R - Brutule 750
Honda CBR900 - 81 CB900F MR Turbo
Maico 77 400 Magnum 83 490
KX500 H1500 Mach 111 H2 750A
Husaberg 95 FE501 - 00 FE650e
RingGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #349
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I had an 06 FE450 and it only had 2000 miles and it was quieter than most KTMs I listened to. If the engine is tight it shouldn't be very noisy.

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #350
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingGap View Post
They are noisy engines, nothing like Jap 4strokes, oil filter changes are critical as factory recommends replace every 10 race hrs, there's a plastic screen on lower RH side case that's required to clean every 5 race hrs, you can lay bike on left side and remove to clean without having drain all the oil,
Min recommendations is oil/filter every 50 hrs light street / trail use, 04 - 08 are the best models
Wouldn't recommend changing oil and filters after 50hrs what ever use it gets. Tops 20 hours!

Also 70 degrees model proved to be bulletproof, so '09 and up gets my vote.

M.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #351
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,743
Any interest in a 2007 650 FE with low miles, thinking of putting this up for sale soon. Bike is loaded with options and the price will be right.
PM me for details.

Renazco screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 07:01 AM
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #352
BucketHead
Would-Be Camel Man

Oddometer: 224
Want to Buy - Underseat tank, side panel tank - 08 FE550

Posted here because these are pretty obscure...

Hi All-

I know its a bit of a long shot, but I am looking for ways to extend the fuel range for rally on my 08 FE550 beyond what I get from my Clarke tank. Does anybody have any tanks available, or other good solutions?

Cheers!
Matthew
BucketHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #353
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketHead View Post
Posted here because these are pretty obscure...

Hi All-

I know its a bit of a long shot, but I am looking for ways to extend the fuel range for rally on my 08 FE550 beyond what I get from my Clarke tank. Does anybody have any tanks available, or other good solutions?

Cheers!
Matthew
I have an under seat, PM me if interested.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #354
BucketHead
Would-Be Camel Man

Oddometer: 224
Underseat Tank Mounting?

Hi All-

Big Thanks to James Renazco for helping me with an underseat tank.

I assume the CDI mounting tab needs to be cut off? Can anybody give me more info on where the CDI is best relocated to?

Thanks!
Matthew
BucketHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #355
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Clarke 4 gallon tank, not affiliated...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/4273787974.html
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #356
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Can I get some help from the group.......

I'm pretty sure these are the factory wheels off of my 2005 FS650c, but not sure as I bought it used and the prior owner gave them to me. 18"rear and 21" front Excel, with rotor and sprocket. I was thinking that this bike started it's life as a racing Super Motard so I would it would have had a set of 17 " or 18" wheels on it......anyway, my question is....what is the set of used wheels worth? I don't need them, I just don't know what the market is. Your thoughts?

I also have the 19" rear wheel that I replaced with a tougher 18" with Cush hub that I need to price out. It's a RAD hub and 11 of the spokes are broken. Tire is about 80% and I have a brand new tire that can go with it. What's it worth?

4corners14 screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 10:24 PM
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #357
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Time to bump this thread!

Had my mechanic install a Rekluse I picked up second hand a few years ago.

Then went out exploring in the Sierras.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #358
rewsiffer
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hard(No) starting Husaberg '94 FC600

Hey there, I've got a '94 Husaberg FC600 that I can't get to start. I got the bike knowing this, however the previous owner said(and I later confirmed) that the bike has good compression and a good spark and therefore it must be a fueling problem. He said that the bike was running when he parked it at the end of last season, but would not fire up when he tried to start it this season. Its got a VHSB 38 flatslide carb(from what I've read, the less common type) There have been a few things I've fixed since I got the bike 3 days ago:

1st: When I first put fuel in the bike, it immediately started dumping out of the carb and this told me that something was stuck in the float bowl. I proceeded to pretty thoroughly clean the float bowl and jets and since then it no longer pukes fuel when I put it in. Afterward, however, still no start or even smoke after endless kicking.

2nd: After reading many threads, I figured I might as well adjust the valves to rule that out as a cause. However, after doing so, the bike was just as dead as when I got it

3rd: After reading the owners manual, I noticed my decomp level was grossly out of spec, so I tightened that to around 2mm of play. Then, after many kicks(choke on) the bike start back firing and popping a bunch and suddenly came to life...for about 5 seconds. After that I could not get it to start or even pop again that night.

Today, after tightening the decomp cable a little more and screwing in the screw on the carb to 2 turns out(I believe it's an air screw, not a fuel screw because I have the VHSB carb), choke on, I was again able to get the bike to start for a few seconds. Immediately after it died, it started again on the first kick, ran for about 10 seconds, then died. After that I was barely able to get it to even back fire and pop for a while. After letting it cool for a while, I came back, gave it a bunch of kicks, but have only been able to get it to occasionally backfire or pop but not start.

So, any ideas?

I've heard that there are consumables in the VHSB 38 carb that should replaced, anyone know what these are and where I can find them? I believe the jetting specs should be alright because the previous owner had it running fine last season and he was around the same approx. altitude.

Also, after reading a bunch in this forum, I keep hearing people talk about an "Owners Doc" and a "Resources Section" of the website, but I have not been able to find either of these. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Rewsiffer
rewsiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #359
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Try some starting fluid if it runs the carb is clogged if it doesn't run it's out of time. Fuel spark and compression it will run.

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #360
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
Sheared key on the flywheel throwing out the timing?

The Owner's Doc is over on husaberg.org Not sure where now as the site has just had a major upgrade and its not jumping out at me.