Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #736
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
If I as a guy subscribe and start posting to another Shortypants thread aimed at the short lady riders will I be in danger of being labeled as a Shortypants Stalker?

You have a shorty pants wife, we would forgive you.

Shortypants just want to ride like everyone else, so we appreciate any input!!

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #737
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
You have a shorty pants wife, we would forgive you.

Shortypants just want to ride like everyone else, so we appreciate any input!!
In high school I dated a girl who was like 4'6" or something (and an identical twin). They both live next to us now. Obviously I am not a Shortypants stalker because they chose to move here right? Wait, I did help them find the house... Hmm, I feel like I am digging a grave here.

Anyhow.... I'm thinking about teaching one of them to ride, just to prove it can be done, and making a video about the process to inspire other Shortys. I think it could be a cool project. Any input?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #738
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
Before I comment, I should illustrate here(dunno if I have done that before in this thread) that I have only a ~29" inseam although I am a 5'8" male who has no trouble with "full size" bikes as long as they are not fitted with a tall/high seat. I love riding and have a lengthy trials-riding upbringing/background, so this makes my riding life a lot easier but I have long observed that something like a CRF150RB or a 105SX is, to my body scale, about like a standard KTM 250XC is to David Knight - and I think this differential is a huge advantage in many circumstances. Although, to the chagrin of this thread, I can safely state than I cannot even "flat foot"(as most would seem to want to in this thread) either of the CRF150RB's or 105SX's that I have ridden.

Living in New Zealand now and having ridden a couple of KTM Freerides for maybe a couple of hours total, I can safely say they are a really neat compromise between a "real" dirtbike and anything under sized. They are fun, handle predictably for how they are geared(not high speeds, in stock form) and behave very much as they are advertized - much like a trials bike with a real seat and real range/suspension. I should say up front that I think a lot of this has to do with the decision to retain the 21"/18" wheelsize combo, although all of the ones I have ridden have had real knobby("knobbly" as they say here) tires fitted in place of the stock trials tires. Regardless, it feels drastically easier to ride over any sort of obstacles than, say, a TT-R125 bigwheel or even an 105SX with the 19"/17" wheels.

Bear in mind that KTM engineers must have thought the wheelsize was important too, as they had to make extremely special 32-spoke, 21" and 18" rims and spoke sets to make them compatible with the 85SX hubs/brakes/suspension components which come spec'ed on the Freeride. You simply cannot buy anything like this even in the aftermarket and there is no question that this was a major marketing compromise if you price out the 32-spoke rims and spokes from KTM themselves...very spendy compared to the "normal" stuff they have used for nearly 15 years now.

The suspension is perfectly soft but fun for a lighter rider for trailriding and they sell an OEM HardParts lowering kit that drops the bike another 25mm(1 inch); installing a 19"/17" wheelset(which bolts right on from a KTM 85SX or 105SX) drops it another 20+mm for a very low standover height.

Ergonomics are very narrow(it shares the seat with the 85SX) and definitely also small-framed-male or female-fiendly with enough height at the handlebars to make it a really practical dirt bike to stand and ride on. As with a full-size bike, they don't feel cramped or short, as many bikes with this narrow feel do.

Weight is featherlight by comparison to anything similarly equipped, which should be a huge appeal to anyone smaller and more slight than your average male dirtbiker. A lot of this factor is how the engine they selected for it is installed in the chassis - very low.

As advertised, it is extremely quiet and the power is super tractable due to the retuned and remapped engine/EFI. If I were to be critical it seems to run on the hot side for a liquid-cooled steed, but then again I don't know of anyone who has had any meltdown issues even after idling on technical trails for hours...it has a fan that comes on IMO pretty late, but does a fantastic job of cooling down the engine once it does.

The only compromise comes in ground clearance(the entire chassis was originally designed around KTM's first electric motorcycle configuration, and the 350 engine from the rest of their lineup shoehorned into it sits VERY low) and in some other ways that seem surprising. Also, they do not do well in water crossings of any real depth at all, but not due to their low-ness - the airbox and intake path are poor at best and to make matters worse the rear wheel floods them with oversplash in even axle-deep water.

In any case, it is truly a total bummer that they still have not brought them to the US.
Thanks for that assessment, Tim.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #739
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

Hope it helps someone, somewhere. I felt it was better posted here than elsewhere on account of the target market.

hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #740
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
+1

However it makes me want this bike even more. And I have this sick feeling it's never coming to the US. I'm going to the KTM National rally in Steamboat Springs next month and I guarantee you I will talk to every KTM employee I can about this bike.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #741
nwvic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Boots can offer a great solution for short wheel base riders. Keep in mind that ANY boot with a stitched on sole can be taken to the local boot repair shop and have a spacer put in. Mala Bunny wears combat boots that we had the ankles reinforced and a 1/4" spacer added to the sole. You can do the same with MX boots as long as the soles are stitched on like these:

Just a caution from a short guy...
If you can only get toes down like me (5'6" on a KTM 690 Enduro R) you might want to find a boot without the steel toes, they are slippery when not on dirt!
nwvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #742
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,582
Haha, good point! Those are actually my kids boots, it was the only pic I had handy of stitched soles.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #743
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley View Post
+1

I'm going to the KTM National rally in Steamboat Springs next month and I guarantee you I will talk to every KTM employee I can about this bike.

Have fun at the rally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
Hope it helps someone, somewhere. I felt it was better posted here than elsewhere on account of the target market.

It helped me want one more!
ElleDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #744
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Clean looking lowered WR250F in the Rockies Flea Market. No affiliation, just thought I would cross post. Not something you see everyday.

Clean very low miles 2004 LOWERED Yamaha WR250F Street Legal+Lots of Extras Colorado
Old 08-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #745
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley View Post
Clean looking lowered WR250F in the Rockies Flea Market. No affiliation, just thought I would cross post. Not something you see everyday.

Clean very low miles 2004 LOWERED Yamaha WR250F Street Legal+Lots of Extras Colorado
Thanks for linking that. It looks like a great bike. I personally have to "hold" right now and learn how to ride the bikes I have but it is great to see how other bikes have been lowered and what the options are out there. I asked the seller in his flea market thread here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post22097007 what they got the seat height down to after the lowering link and the low seat and he replied

"33 1/2" as it stands. The Yamalink actually puts more leverage on the shock so it sags quite a bit more with someone sitting on it".
Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #746
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,764
My wife tried on the Grom yesterday, it fit!

Mobile Clocklaw
2005 FJR1300 - "my Blue Angel"
My Twins are Twins!
1992 TDM850 - "Ginger" & 1993 TDM850 - "Raven"
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #747
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Missus Sweetwater just started riding a TW200 and it fits the bill for her rather well as a starter bike. We stumbled into this thread a few days ago and now we're motivated to consider even more bikes, better bikes!

With lowering options and ideas like boot spacers, the market is a whole lot more "open" to the vertically challenged.

Thanks to Region Riley for starting this one

sweetwater screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 04:21 PM
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #748
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
Missus Sweetwater just started riding a TW200 and it fits the bill for her rather well as a starter bike. We stumbled into this thread a few days ago and now we're motivated to consider even more bikes, better bikes!

With lowering options and ideas like boot spacers, the market is a whole lot more "open" to the vertically challenged.

Thanks for Region Riley for starting this one

Congrats to you and the missus, she'll have a blast on the TW!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #749
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.ktm.com/freeride/freeride...l#.Uh7H3su9KK1

The Lively One!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #750
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote: