User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #766
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,095
I had to look up Kokopelli.
Found that is also a music festival which is more appropriate than what appeared on your picture.
So Roswell is truly alien...
Old 07-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #767
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Parks Ranch (March 6 & 7)

The morning progressed slowly, as it was still very cold and windy. The inside of the tent was dusted with fine powder which had managed to leak through the mesh windows overnight. This likely didn't help with our congestion.

I know that the trails in this area were marked as difficult but yikes! I was glad we'd decided to just camp near a picnic table instead of trying to navigate them at night!

We packed up and headed into town, warming up in a coffee shop for a few hours while I planned our route. I eavesdropped on two nearby women, who were having a fascinating discussion about how they used to work for National Geographic, and their shared passions of travel and caving. I managed to introduce myself and mentioned a free campsite near Carlsbad Caverns called Parks Ranch which I'd been reading about, and one woman's eyes lit up.

Parks Ranch contains a cave system, and she cautioned me to be very careful and avoid it if rain is a possibility. The caves flash flood regularly, and they are a maze-like complex with 8 miles of tunnels, easy to get lost in if you venture far inside. She turned to her companion and said that they would visit those caves later in the summer, but that it would be a through hike, wading through chest-high water. She recommended that I check out Sonora Caverns in Texas, as they are "the most beautiful caves I have ever seen, and I've been caving for over 30 years on five continents". Sold!

After running errands, we made it to Artesia as it got dark, sneaking a free shower at Brantley Lake State Park. We didn't feel like paying to sleep again. A sign directed us westward to Lincoln National Forest, so we followed Highway 137. It was a fun, twisty road that I would love to revisit during the daytime, but we quickly came to realize that the sign was misleading, the forest was almost back to Alamogordo - and there was nowhere to camp nearby.

While turning around, Oz had his first "parking lot" drop, we had pulled over on large, loose rocks and his bike slipped out from under him. We got it back upright pretty quickly, and dodged a few deer on our way back to the highway.

After an unpleasant, slow, cold ride, I found the turn off for Parks Ranch, which was not signed, and did not have an entrance from the southbound direction.

"That rut isn't the road is it?"
"Yep, it sure is..."

Oz did well. It was a bit tricky, lumpy and bumpy, with some large rocks to avoid but not a lot of loose debris. I thought it was fun!

After playing Marco Polo with the GPS, we found the campsite. It was peaceful and quiet, except for a nearby pack of coyotes. We howled back and forth with them for a bit, and I really enjoyed that they answered us. Coyotes are awesome.

Today was Oz's birthday! I mostly napped, as I was very congested and felt sick. Oz went into town in search of cold drinks, returning hours later. He'd gotten lost trying to find the unsigned road, but had a good time exploring without the burden of his luggage.

I figured it was time for some spelunking! The caves were right in the campground, fenced off so children and animals didn't accidentally wander in.

The sign repeated the warnings I was given earlier - don't drown in the cave!

Oz was feeling uneasy so he elected to stay outside. Oh well! I wasn't going to let that stop me. I love caves!

The walls, ceiling, and some of the floor had this great scaly rippled texture. These caves were formed when hydrogen sulfide gas slowly leached through stress fractures in the rock, helping the water to erode it. The gypsum sparkled in the dim light.

Cave crickets were everywhere!

Most of my pictures turned out poorly, due to the small sensor in both cameras. The exception seemed to be macro photos, made possible with flash.

I found some tiny, hairlike crystals. They were soft to the touch and very fragile.

The gypsum was carved into some fascinating designs. One piece was so thin that I could thump it and it would reverberate, like a drum, the echo going deep into the cave.

Encountering a muddy puddle, I doubled back, having no interest in fighting mud and water in order to see more sparkly rocks. After taking a quick break, I decided to duck into the second, lower cave below the first.

Near the entrance, the gypsum was streaked with this green mineral.

I spent far less time in this cave. Near the exit, the tunnel's smooth walls made me think of a creature boring through the rock, like a gigantic earthworm.

We made dinner and enjoyed a fantastic sunset.

Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #768
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455

Born and raised in Albuquerque, thanks for confirming I've made the right decision to not visit Roswell!

I do miss coyotes. We live too close to the city to hear them. They used to come in our yard all the time as kids. LOL about the tumbleweeds! Whenever friends from the east coast would visit NM, they would seem to be baffled by tumbleweeds and road runners. "I thought those were just in movies and cartoons!" Ha.

Glad you're back on the road, looking forward to more updates.
Salvaged 2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR7 - hers
smash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #769
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Very late to this but my favorite ride report. You have a gift as a traveler and a writer. Thank you for sharing it.
Pampero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #770
GAGirlMissingMyRide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Enjoy your reports ! Admire you for taking to the road. Thanks for writing about the adventure so the rest of us can share in it .
GAGirlMissingMyRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #771
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 982
Hey Fey, where are yo hiding girl?
Hope you are well, looking forward to the rest of your report once you can get to it.
It's starting to cool down already here in Fairbanks, amazing!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #772
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Hope you are well, looking forward to the rest of your report once you can get to it.
Things have been crazy busy for me, I landed in Portland and an opportunity to do art full time kinda popped up and slapped me in the face, so I'm going to be here for the next few months at least. My living situation is super unstable, I'm not as used to being homeless (home-free?) inside a city, so it's been interesting trying to get everything in motion and teaching somebody else these ropes. Things are looking good though, we're on track to have things sorted out in the next week or two. I'm excited to see what we can come up with.

Not an end to the journey yet, there's still way more to explore, but my bankroll is getting pretty slim. I'll still probably take a trip up to the olympic peninsula in the near future, and possibly a road trip down to socal and phoenix to pick up some stuff for our project. Worst comes to worst I can get a real job or day labor or something. Our projected costs are pretty low.

The RR will resume once things are just a teensy bit less chaotic, right now I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off!

I've been keeping up with your report, kudos for wanting to brave out an Alaskan winter! Too chilly for me though, yikes. Good luck getting your ducks in a row and stay toasty!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #773
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
It's gonna cool down A LOT more here soon. I was there in November a few years back and it was -40. The cold didn't bother me as much as the dark though, the lack of sunshine started to get me a bit depressed

The norther lights were AMAZING though. I have been following your thread and this one as well, both very inspiring.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #774
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Been almost two months.... Did Fey get sucked back into a "normal" life?
Salvaged 2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR7 - hers
smash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #775
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
god I hope not
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #776
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,380
Sounds to me like she's just trying to hunker down for a little while and make some money. Plus, art sounded like something she's interested in and if she was given an opportunity to do something she loves, I say go for it!

Still, I very much hope this ride report will continue on, I love her enthusiasm. Subscribed and lurking as always!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #777
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
true if she finds something that makes her happy by all means go for it
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #778
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,988
If I am not mistaken,Lisa Kelly just posted on FB that they have snow piling up.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #779
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash81 View Post
Been almost two months.... Did Fey get sucked back into a "normal" life?
? Don't think anyone around here leads a 'normal' life... why be 'normal' when you can be 'interesting'?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #780
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
Ya I wanna see more good stories!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote