ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #466
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,615
Can't wait to read it. The summary that is.

Thanks again Bryan for all the time and effort you put into this! If you weren't willing to step up to the plate and represent us, coordinate us, and keep us informed, I doubt any of this would ever happen

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #467
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
Can't wait to read it. The summary that is.

Thanks again Bryan for all the time and effort you put into this! If you weren't willing to step up to the plate and represent us, coordinate us, and keep us informed, I doubt any of this would ever happen
Thanks booms. There are a bunch of people that advocate around the state for a variety of projects and interests. Local clubs and advocates get a lot done in their local areas and that is key to us developing more places to ride. Some people work very hard on things like trying to develop private parks. Some people work issues like fighting battles over noise complaints. All these people contribute to making it a better world for our recreational interests. Being retired, I am in a good position to work the meetings and contacts, initiate some projects, serve on a council and committees, and concentrate on things like this legislation project. It is a slow and sometimes tedious process. There is no pay and it costs me (and others) a significant amount of money to chase around on this stuff. In the end, some good things will evolve for all of us.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #468
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 8,966
Best point man we could have!
I would be more then happy to help fund your efforts Bryan!
Just PM me.
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #469
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"

Dave in Wi screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 09:21 AM
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #470
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Alex Bub and I attended a meeting today about an initiative to establish an off-road vehicle park in Forest County. This has been worked for some time now. It is a big undertaking even to study. A central focus is the economic development of the area. The group working this initiative commissioned some studies regarding the potential economic impact of the project and have been looking at what it might take to develop and operate such a facility. There are several important phases that must be successful for the project to come to fruition and it will take quite a while to get through them. One key aspect is that there will be a heavy reliance on volunteer labor to establish the trails for this facility. Potential daily user fees have not been addressed yet.
http://www.worvpi.org/

It is not known (yet) whether this would be a private or government sponsored facility. The DNR is interested in putting an ORV park in the underserved southern part of the state. WORPVI wants to develop something in Forest County.

Projects like this take a lot of time to develop.

In the mean time, the Crandon Raceway is interested in adding some ORV facilities to their truck raceway park. This has the potential to happen quickly as they have the land and supporting infrastructure. Not sure if/when they will proceed.

A local tribe is also kicking around the idea of opening an ORV park on some land that they have available in the area.

A lot of activity for a very small area in far northeast Wisconsin.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #471
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

We only have until this Friday to get our comments in. If you haven't done so, please get on it right away. Pass the word to others of a like mind so they can comment as well.

It is very important that we make a strong showing in support of motorized recreation at this site.

We need this facility. It is also a step toward getting more opportunities in the future.

Thanks for participating!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #472
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
We only have until this Friday to get our comments in. ... !
I'd been procrastinating, but my comments are finally in. Fingers crossed.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #473
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 8,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
I'd been procrastinating, but my comments are finally in. Fingers crossed.
+1.
Thanks again Bryan!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #474
tannerc
Pig Pilot

Oddometer: 282
Filled out the survey!
tannerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #475
Ajacks
"Not in the face"

Oddometer: 147
Survey done,
Ajacks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #476
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
My comments are in, supporting option 3 and not on support of the other 2.

My main point (I hope it comes through in my comments) was that there is already a lot of land set aside for non-motorized use in the area. The DNR collects registration fees and gas tax dollars from recreational vehicle users in the southern part of the state and has an obligation to provide areas for use, regardless of the tally of responses to the survey.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #477
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

USFS just contacted me that the OHM motorcycle stickers that they ordered came in so we can fix a problem with signage on some trails.

You may recall I went up there and raised the issue with them that the signs were unfairly excluded OHM from places they were entitled to go.

I plan to go up and install these stickers in early October. Someone may want to ride along. I've got to figure out all the places that need to be covered between now and then. This is in the Lakewood-Laona district around Wabeno.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #478
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
We only have until this Friday to get our comments in. If you haven't done so, please get on it right away. Pass the word to others of a like mind so they can comment as well.

It is very important that we make a strong showing in support of motorized recreation at this site.

We need this facility. It is also a step toward getting more opportunities in the future.

Thanks for participating!
Old 08-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #479
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Today is the last day for comments.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #480
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Recently attended another meeting to work our interests.

The WI DOT is developing a policy about accommodating ATVs on rights-of-way. Not sure what the outcome will be, but it has to be better than the status quo. I'm thinking it will not be a widespread change, but it should allow us to deal with pinch points where the only path might be a state highway right-of-way.

In the last draft of the OHM law, I changed the language proposed by the legislative reference bureau to allow for that in the event things ever changed with the DOT. Looks like it could work out.

We also talked about invasive species a bit. I think I mentioned before that invasives are an issue for all types of recreation, not just motorized. It is important that we not transfer seeds and soil containing seeds from area to area with out bikes. Best to give them (and boots) a wash before relocating. Right now this is a volunteer effort to get people like us to be more aware and take more preventive steps. If people blow this off, problems can develop until there are restrictions that we won't want written as law. Best to get on the right side of things early and try to do what is best.

Speaking of invasives, there is a nasty plant around that people might want to think about. It is in the Wabeno area and I know people do some work there on hero sections so this may be useful information for them.

Wild Parsnip has sap that reacts with sunlight to produce some nasty and long lasting burns that can leave permanent damage. Best to wear protective clothing when brushing and to be careful about plant sap and resins.

Here is a story about being burned.