ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
sjc56 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Broad Brook CT USA
Oddometer: 1,171
XT350 how much?

There is a XT350 in my town for sale, leaning against a tree, the price on the for sale sign is $1800, bike looks used lots of nicks and scratches I'm thinking more of $1000 if it runs well. Not sure of the year but it is red and white.
I really want a DR350ES but they don't come up for sale to often around here.
__________________
Steve

sjc56 screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 06:23 AM
sjc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56 View Post
There is a XT350 in my town for sale, leaning against a tree, the price on the for sale sign is $1800, bike looks used lots of nicks and scratches I'm thinking more of $1000 if it runs well. Not sure of the year but it is red and white.
I really want a DR350ES but they don't come up for sale to often around here.
that sounds kind of high to me. see if you can find out the year and miles.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
sjc56 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Broad Brook CT USA
Oddometer: 1,171
Turns out it is an 84 XT250. Dent in tank, no kick stand chained to a tree along the road, not a $1800 bike, if it runs maybe $800?
__________________
Steve
sjc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56 View Post
Turns out it is an 84 XT250. Dent in tank, no kick stand chained to a tree along the road, not a $1800 bike, if it runs maybe $800?
yea if it runs great i would say about 800. is it street legal and if so are the tags current?
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
sjc56 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Broad Brook CT USA
Oddometer: 1,171
It is street legal, haven't talk to the owner yet so not sure it has a title which you need in CT to get registered.
__________________
Steve
sjc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
main thing is to test ride it and see if it runs good and you like the way it feels. then see if it has current registration to determine the price. have you talked to the owner yet?
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
sjc56 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Broad Brook CT USA
Oddometer: 1,171
I just talk to the owner, it is a 88 XT350 newish tires, new brakes, new carb, he has recites for $1500 in work done he will take $1200. It's 2 miles from my house which makes it tempting. I'll have to see if he will let me take it for a ride.
__________________
Steve
sjc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
sjc56 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Broad Brook CT USA
Oddometer: 1,171
Well I rode it. Starts first kick from cold, first kick warm, no smoke, stops well. shifts through all gears ,very heavy clutch pull engages at end of travel, that doesn't seem right and very loud motor is this normal? Comes with a new pair of Thor boots.
__________________
Steve

sjc56 screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 05:51 PM
sjc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56 View Post
Well I rode it. Starts first kick from cold, first kick warm, no smoke, stops well. shifts through all gears ,very heavy clutch pull engages at end of travel, that doesn't seem right and very loud motor is this normal? Comes with a new pair of Thor boots.
does the motor rattle or just loud through the exhaust?also check the clutch cable, might just be a worn out one.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
betitou
Thumperized!
 
betitou's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Spain
Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
does the motor rattle or just loud through the exhaust?also check the clutch cable, might just be a worn out one.
You can oil that cable too...
__________________
1990 Suzuki GS 500 E
2003 Suzuki GS 500
2004 Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
2005 Yamaha XT 660 R
Hello from Spain!
betitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #11
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 9,810
XT350's have a heavier clutch pull than most bikes than size even when new. Add to that very cheap OEM cables and you get a hard clutch pull. Having it start right up is a miracle given the YDIS carbs on those things. So that is very good.

But the motor on mine was pretty quiet right up until it dropped a valve. So, to me, a noisy motor would mean walking away at that price. It could be nothing or it could be something. But it is too much money for that bike either way.

To me there are too many good bikes out there to roll the dice on a beater even at $1200. If he wanted to talk $500 to $800 then maybe. He has nothing in the brakes. But the carb is monstrously expensive. He probably hopes to get that back.
__________________
640E, MXC200, XT200
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 290
Its a pity. I have had an XT 350 with new chains, sprockets, new tires all working electrics, etc for sale for 1200$ for over a year at a consignment, busy, motorcycle shop and still no takers. However I am a bit far away:)
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark
Oddometer: 967
Loud motor compared to what? Which rpm was the idle set to, and how many miles on the motor?

Was any of the receipts for enginerelated stuff?

Theese are awesome little bikes, would hate to see you pass a good one.
__________________
2003 xt600e 150.000km
1986 xt350 100.000km
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
sjc56 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Broad Brook CT USA
Oddometer: 1,171
Well I bought it, I know I paid a little high but with the new carbs intake rubbers , brakes rebuilt, new pirelli scorpion a/t tires,work done by a good shop,only 3400 miles on it, saves me a lot of time and effort.I have brought home enough junk to know. Also for some reason in New England dual sports hold there value very well, last year I sold a non running KLR 250 for $400. The XT350 was 5 minutes from my house so no 5 hours driving , been there done that. A little cleaning some paint it will look as well as it runs.
__________________
Steve

sjc56 screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 06:55 PM
sjc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #15
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56 View Post
Well I bought it, I know I paid a little high but with the new carbs intake rubbers , brakes rebuilt, new pirelli scorpion a/t tires,work done by a good shop,only 3400 miles on it, saves me a lot of time and effort.I have brought home enough junk to know. Also for some reason in New England dual sports hold there value very well, last year I sold a non running KLR 250 for $400. The XT350 was 5 minutes from my house so no 5 hours driving , been there done that. A little cleaning some paint it will look as well as it runs.
yay! post some pics!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014