Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #136
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Not lowered, stock rim. yes I am very happy with rocky mountain atv
Well I guess the only thing i can add is that if you used a heavy duty inner tube, as many seem to do, it can make the tire run hotter and contribute to seperation as the thick tube holds heat next to the tire carcass. There's also balancing to consider but I'd think that an imbalance bad enough to cause that severe a problem would be very noticeable to the rider.
Please post whatever you learn
Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #137
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,960
UHD Innertube . Pretty sure 3oz of dynabeads. Whatever the company recommended for tire with rim lock
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #138
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
How do you like it on your XR?

I'm taking mine along on the TAT this summer, and since i'll need a tire change in Moab, I was thinking about taking off the 606 and putting on a MT-43 for the remainder of the trip.

Just toying with the idea at this time.

I haven't mounted one on the xrr yet, possibly next week. I have been running one on a crf250 and so far I love how it handles and grabs. The only downfall is that the 250 is my wifes bike and is lowered, but this tire made it taller and now she has a harder time going slow.

I have seen one of these on a ktm 450 that was 5 years old and still going strong, used by a very experienced rider though. I am assuming he used good throttle control. He did kind of seem hesitant when I mentioned putting one on a xrr, but he thought it would probably be fine.

another $100 experiment.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #139
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
Thanks for sending that. Note that the recommended 8-12 psi "Indicates Off-Road Only PSI Useage Range". I'll try again to get them to recommend an on-road pressure. I've been using 20-25 on the pave, but based on what I'm reading here I'm going to cut back to something lower. I road home from the dirt yesterday with it at 10 or 12 and it felt too soft.
Try a comp trials rear at those pressures on the road and the MT43 will feel overinflated and rock steady compared.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #140
NordieBoy
Armature speller

The whole point of the taller side walls on the MT43 is so it can be used at lower pressures on heavier bikes.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #141
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I asked pirelli about tire pressure on the highway & this is their response (I mentioned the chunking on the highway) :

Quote:
The MT43 is a trials tire and ALL trials tires are designed to be used off road at low pressures to climb any terrain. The attributes of the tire is the compound is very, very grippy to help give traction when climbing rocks, and on wet slippery surfaces. Because of these attributes using the tire in other conditions can cause issues. To be clear any brand of trials tire used on can chunk if the speeds are too high and if the pressure is too low or even too high in certain conditions.

We find most riders will use 5-10 psi in the tire when riding off road but then will increase the pressure up to 15-20psi for high speed off road use and or street use. So based on these guidelines you should start at 5-10 psi off road and adjust as you like and then try 15-20 for higher speeds/pavement use.

In regards to tubes Pirelli off road tubes are very heavy duty but are not DOT approved and at higher speeds they can overheat and then fail. This is related to the tube's thickness and this is too true with our competitor's Heavy Duty tubes. Finally you should be using 1-2 rim locks to keep the tire from moving on the rim and tearing the valve stem. Hope this helps, and have a great weekend.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #142
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,960
Interesting. Thanks for the info
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #143
kjclark7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
well over 200 plus miles ridden up at hancock this past weekend with the mt43 proved to be a good choice. even with all the mud up there, the mt43 did great, especially on all the long uphills! now don't get me wrong, the mt43 is no knobby in the sloppy mud but its very doable with that tire.
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
kjclark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #144
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
I have used this tire for the past 3500 km through gnarly 1st gear single track, the slick rock of Moab, and last weekend on the slab for 40 minutes at 145km/h. It has about 1/4 left in it, but I swapped it for a new one.

I did turn it around after 1500 in Moab, which it was put on new for, just to get a new edge.

I run 10 psi every where. I do not air up or air down as it is a waste of time to me. It was actually run at 2 psi the other day to take it to the dealer, about 4 blocks away. Bike hooked up like velcro with 3rd gear wheelies down my street from roll on. Looked a bit flat when parked though. Heavy duty tubes take care of holding air honours.

I also run a Rekluse Z-Start Pro with no clutch lever and a left hand rear brake. It is very smooth on the tire most of the time or can bit hard and make it squirm.

The tires cost $80 brand new, I can handle a bit of wear for that price. This is an amazing tire!
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #145
Tripndrag
Tripndrag

Oddometer: 76
KTM 625sxc

I put one of these on over the winter and love it so far. I have used the Dunlop D803 in the past and they wear out pretty fast. I also tried trials tires front and rear and the front was just to soft in the mountains. Popped a tube and have never had a front flat "knock on wood" until then so I went back to a knob on the front.

I picked up this KTM to be street legal so I don't have to haul my bike out to ride. It is also really fun to be able to jump on and run to the store or just ride around town. I couldn't get my XR650 street legal where I live and there was a bunch of troubles with people getting their plates revoked that did manage to get their XR legal. The 20-30 mile ride on the street to get to the riding is pretty hard on the tires. I am very pleased so far with this pirelli mt-43 tire! I have been running about 16 psi all the time and it has been great. I have done a few 120 mile loops with about 40 miles of road on the way home and I think it is going to last a long time based on other tires I have ridden on the same loop. A couple times it was 106 degrees and no issues.

I air down sometimes but where I ride there are really bad rocks and roots so if I air down I have to go a lot slower so it doesn't pound the rims and I would rather just not worry about it. I like that the tire is DOT legal as well. My choice for knobs are the Metzeler Unicross those are also DOT legal. I got really good mileage out of the unicross tire and it is a pretty good knob not to much $. Once you ride a trials tire though it is hard to go back to the knobs. At least if you do a lot of nasty mountain type riding.
Tripndrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #146
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Here's my MT43 review:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=6026
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #147
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Update: I have 1200 miles on this tire. Plenty of wide-open (~60-70mph) pavement, along with a decent bit of 35-50mph pavement, much of which is abrasive tar-and-chip. Hours-wise I have a lot of riding from dirt roads all the way down to rough single-track and find-your-own-adventure stuff through the woods, but the miles are predominantly (80%+) on blacktop.

I run 6-8psi off-road, and 12-18psi on the road. The center lugs are about half-worn, the sides are maybe 20% used up. I'll easily get another 1k miles, maybe as much as 3k total. That's a lot for me.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #148
NordieBoy
Armature speller

If they did a version that was normal diameter, I'd be happier.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #149
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Me too, I thought I had enough clearance but it burned a hole in my mudflap. I had to run a longer chain to make it clear.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #150
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
The Shinko SR241 is a little smaller and I think that it is just as good.

Look here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post20888674
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is online now   Reply With Quote