Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #31
peterdavis66
n00b

Oddometer: 6
G'day all, here is an Aussie view on the 450X adventure bike. I ride a 2010 450X here in Oz. Mainly used for single track enduro competition. Having competed in several 450km plus endurance races I purchased a 15.5ltr acerbis tank and geared the bike up with 15/48 gearing running Haan cush drive hub. In July this year I rode as part of a group out through western NSW (Australia) up through the Flinders Ranges (SA) back through Northern NSW to home. A distance of 3500km in 12 days. I changed my engine oil at approx 1500 km mark. Now this bike has 200hrs and 10000kms on the clock. At 130hrs I fitted steel valves to the inlet and while the head was off a TRX450 piston went in. I run a DNA air cleaner and Aussie made Staintune exhaust. The bike was Brilliant. Would I do a trip like this again ?? Too right I would. The only addition I would make is taller gearing, maybe 15/46. Cheers Pete
peterdavis66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #32
Rusty Jug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Glad to hear!
I run 16/46 love the combo!

That would be a great ride!

Sent from inside of my Man Cave to outer space then back to your space.
Rusty Jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #33
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Go for it, I'm thinking of turning my 2002 KTM 125sx(first picture) into a short range "Adventure bike" with an Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank and lights. You also might want to opt for over-sized radiators to deal with cooling. Also, here's some inspiration of a couple 450s turned rally bikes.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #34
MCVL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Crf450x - adventure bike?
It would need a steel valves and lower compression to lower the stress on the motor and being able to use lower octane gas, maybe adding some more gaskets under the head? Three should be enough
I wonder how it will start after that )
MCVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #35
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,564
Ive got an '05 X with stainless valves, 3 ring TRX piston, Acerbis 4.75 tank, wide pegs, thicker/wider seat, upgraded suspension, GPR stabilizer, FMF pipe, skid plate, radiator guards, and bark busters and Ive done 5 day trips up to 200 miles a day and I havent had any problems. I love my X as an adventure bike.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:06 AM   #36
peterdavis66
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Jug View Post
Glad to hear!
I run 16/46 love the combo!

That would be a great ride!

How do you fit the 16 tooth front sprocket on ? My 15 chewed a little out of the chain guide. The lads out here run 15/46 in the Australian Safari. Safari Tanks also offer a Safari kit with rear 8.5l (2.125US gal) tanks, 22l (5.5US gal) front tank, down swept pipe with bash plate and water tank in front of bash plate. I'm tempted...
Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #37
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 528
OK, so I get people don't think the CRF450X should be an adventure bike from reading this whole thread. I am currently looking for a much better trail bike which is also capable of hauling me to work 16 miles round trip on most days.

If I just go with steel valves right off the bat, and I am not doing much highway riding(3 miles at 50mph on the expressway down 2 exits) and hauling it to the trails in my truck, I should get plenty of life out of the bike right? I am not planning long trips. Maybe some 30min to 1 hour trips occasionally when I need to just get out of the house, but other than that, weekends in the dirt. Would I have any issues?

I can learn to check and shim valves myself, It isn't that hard from what I have heard and seen on youtube. Just wanting some inmate opinions. I have one lined up that I might go get next weekend, but I am very much on the fence between the CRFX or a WR426. I know the DRZ400 sounds better in theory, but its heavier and I am looking for something I can also ride hard in the dirt while keeping the front wheel up.

Here is the bike in question:
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/4031865050.html

redleger screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 06:39 PM Reason: I suck at typing/ added link to potential bike.
redleger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #38
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,050
For the way you're talking, yes a CRF450X should last a long time, even with stock valves.

I'd be a little cautious of this seller actually knowing his bike, as there was no 2004 CRF450X. Assuming it's really an '05 (or '06 or '07 even) ask the seller how frequently the oil was changed and how much oil it takes. (The answer for the tranny should be 1 full quart). From the tires in that picture, it was obviously set up to run on pavement, which was a killer for many early transmissions. I've got an '05 tranny on my bench right now that has welded third gear to the countershaft, due to the inadequate lubrication provided by the stock gear configuration and oil level in highway use. The transmissions were fully revised in '08 (I'm installing mostly '08 spec parts in mine), and the tranny lubrication is less of an issue or a non-issue '08 and newer - still run a full quart to be safe.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #39
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

hmm, I will question him more then. I talked to him and he seemed very dimwitted. Thank you for the input. Very helpful
Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #40
peterdavis66
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
OK, so I get people don't think the CRF450X should be an adventure bike from reading this whole thread. I am currently looking for a much better trail bike which is also capable of hauling me to work 16 miles round trip on most days.

If I just go with steel valves right off the bat, and I am not doing much highway riding(3 miles at 50mph on the expressway down 2 exits) and hauling it to the trails in my truck, I should get plenty of life out of the bike right? I am not planning long trips. Maybe some 30min to 1 hour trips occasionally when I need to just get out of the house, but other than that, weekends in the dirt. Would I have any issues?

I can learn to check and shim valves myself, It isn't that hard from what I have heard and seen on youtube. Just wanting some inmate opinions. I have one lined up that I might go get next weekend, but I am very much on the fence between the CRFX or a WR426. I know the DRZ400 sounds better in theory, but its heavier and I am looking for something I can also ride hard in the dirt while keeping the front wheel up.

Here is the bike in question:
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/4031865050.html
By the sound of it an enduro machine would suit what you want to do. Minimal Hwy work and fun trail riding. The most important thing with any model, type or coloured bike is maintenance. If you pay particular attention on air cleaner servicing you should have years of hassle free riding. Fit an after market filter, ie;DNA, K&N it's cheap insurance. Dust is the biggest killer of 'any' modern 4 stroke bike. You could probably run 15/48 gearing all the time or swap to 14 front before a trail ride. I use my 450X as a go any where do any thing bike. From race to tour. Be a little cautious with any aged 4 stroke. Glean as much info on servicing and repairs as you can before you buy. "The best bike for the job at hand is the one parked in your shed" Think about it....
Old 08-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #41
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
For the way you're talking, yes a CRF450X should last a long time, even with stock valves.

I'd be a little cautious of this seller actually knowing his bike, as there was no 2004 CRF450X. Assuming it's really an '05 (or '06 or '07 even) ask the seller how frequently the oil was changed and how much oil it takes. (The answer for the tranny should be 1 full quart). From the tires in that picture, it was obviously set up to run on pavement, which was a killer for many early transmissions. I've got an '05 tranny on my bench right now that has welded third gear to the countershaft, due to the inadequate lubrication provided by the stock gear configuration and oil level in highway use. The transmissions were fully revised in '08 (I'm installing mostly '08 spec parts in mine), and the tranny lubrication is less of an issue or a non-issue '08 and newer - still run a full quart to be safe.
ACtually, according to google 2004 was the first year for the CRF450X. That actually bothers me because no manufacturer gets it right the first year. But I'm gonna have a look at the bike.

Other than oil, what other questions should I have for him? What should I look for when I go see it. I know bikes, I just don't know specifics on the CRFx series. Always been a Suzuki man myself.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #42
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,050
The 250 was introduced in 2004, but the 450 wasn't until 2005. I'm certain of this.

Other than the tranny oil fill level, I don't think there's a lot more that is specific to this bike. Ask how many hours are on the bike (can this be proven?). Check all normal wear parts on the chassis. Ask for maintenance records. Valve checks and adjustments? Has it been rejetted, and if so what's in there now? That bike's obviously had a lot of cosmetics thrown at it; be sure to look beyond that to make sure the working parts are in order. Try to observe both cold start and hot start; if it is hard to start hot, valves are probably out of adjustment, and there's reason to suspect neglect.
Maybe observe the owner riding it...if he hits the rev limiter, walk away. If you can't see him ride, get a feel for how he rides it.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #43
Rusty Jug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
My 16 front sprocket did chew a little of the guide , I checked my back sprocket I was wrong it is 48, I tried 3 sprockets when I was looking for a good high speed dirt road sprocket.
I plan to go back to my 12 this fall when I do more tree riding. :)
Each rider has its own preference always try different combos, it's a pain to switch out, but you will find your sweet ride! :)

Rusty Jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #44
peterdavis66
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Jug View Post
My 16 front sprocket did chew a little of the guide , I checked my back sprocket I was wrong it is 48, I tried 3 sprockets when I was looking for a good high speed dirt road sprocket.
I plan to go back to my 12 this fall when I do more tree riding. :)
Each rider has its own preference always try different combos, it's a pain to switch out, but you will find your sweet ride! :)

As you said, what ever suits your riding. I leave the 48 on the cush drive and swap out the front with 13/14 or 15 . It will never be a 650R for long tours but so far I can't fault the flexibility of the 450X. I'm keen to see just how far or how long the engine will last.