Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #3046
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
There was a good post on anti vibration handlebar risers on here a while back. I looked through and couldn't find it, but there was a great picture of the risers, and a lengthy discussion on the subject. I don't think the risers were the same as the ones just posted in the link.
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #3047
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
thank you for the friendly welcome to this madness!

george, i thingk i will try the DIY method like in the picture. i wanted to lower them but that will have to wait. do you know where i can get this bikemaster risers here in europe?

dstriffler, maybe the anti vibrating handlebars are the rox risers? i think they say they minimize vibration.

another (stupid) question, the NX has 22mm handlebars standart, right?

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #3048
Dominatoras
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo View Post
thank you for the friendly welcome to this madness!

george, i thingk i will try the DIY method like in the picture. i wanted to lower them but that will have to wait. do you know where i can get this bikemaster risers here in europe?

dstriffler, maybe the anti vibrating handlebars are the rox risers? i think they say they minimize vibration.

another (stupid) question, the NX has 22mm handlebars standart, right?
yes,NX has 22mm handlebars.i bought adjustable risers in a local store for 20-25 euros.they are quiet cheap because they've been made in Taiwan(if i remember well),but they have good quality.for order in Europe check this similar product http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/ms-guireh/ or search in Ebay.i think WRP also have similar risers in their catalog
Dominatoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #3049
Carlossal
Professional dreamer

Oddometer: 15
Eek Help! Bike won't start

My wife's '93 NX650 has about 130,000 k's on it and has never had any major work done on the engine. Serviced religiously for the first 100k until we got it and then fairly regularly since then.

It always used a bit of oil, but recently has been using quite a bit more, as well as being kinda hard to start. Once it just stopped on the highway (I suspect she was going a bit fast) but after a few minutes of swearing and kicking it went ok again.

More recently she was trying to overtake someone and the engine just died and wouldn't start again. Very dangerous! I pulled the plug on the side of the road, and there was a fair bit of white residue. Spare plug went in but it didn't help.

When I turned it over there was a nasty clicking noise every revolution.

Brought it home and checked valve clearances (had been meaning to do it for ages but it's such a PITA) and they were pretty tight, loosened them up to spec and this got rid of the nasty clicking noise (yay!). Checked to make sure we had spark...

... but it still won't start. Now I was a bit sceptical as I checked the valve clearances because the resistance as I turned the crankshaft didn't feel like it happened at the right time.

Is it likely that the cam chain has jumped a tooth or two? Maybe it jumped one last time it stopped on the side of the road so the timing had been a bit out, and another tooth this time so now it just won't go?

Now I'm writing this I feel a bit stupid cos the valves are fully shut when the timing mark hits "T" - but I guess that could just mean it jumped a tooth on the crank end and not the camshaft end? (edit... valves seemed to open too soon after the "T" - ie when I'd expect the piston to be going down)

Does anyone have any advice - apart from, buy a new bike or get someone nice to rebuild the top end?

Carlossal screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 02:26 AM
Carlossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #3050
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 639
Are you getting spark? CDI units pack up on these, mine did and I haven't half the mileage that yours has.
I'd check that you are getting spark before ripping the cam chain.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #3051
rabbitears
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Does anyone have any Dominator-specific advice on how to set the fuel/air ratio screw?

I've just had a new CDI put in which seems to have fixed the not-starting and not running problem (yay!). The bike runs fine when in gear and moving, but when it's idling...it'll idle perfectly healthily at about 1500 rpms...until it quietly and undramatically stalls. It sounds like it's getting bogged, as there are also very minor pops (backfires) in the exhaust upon restarting. And then it restarts perfectly fine - just VERY inconvenient when you're at the head of a line of traffic.

I seem to have reduced this problem by frantically messing around with the fuel/air ratio screw, but it's still stalling after 90-120 seconds of idling.

Any clues/suggestions? It'll be next week before I can see a decent/trusted bike mechanic...
rabbitears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #3052
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitears View Post

Any clues/suggestions? It'll be next week before I can see a decent/trusted bike mechanic...
Have you done the carb mods ?
Air screw is listed as being 2.25 turns out from bottomed.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #3053
Pasoren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Have you done the carb mods ?
Air screw is listed as being 2.25 turns out from bottomed.
I've read that the carb mods are not very good with stock exhaust system/air filter??

Comments?
Pasoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 AM   #3054
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasoren View Post
I've read that the carb mods are not very good with stock exhaust system/air filter??

Comments?
I can't comment, I have never had a stock exhaust. Mine came with a Supertrapp /9Disc I cut the snorkel off and fitted a BMC air filter as well.
Since I did the Carb mods its run really well.
One thing to note is that these bikes are jetted incredibly lean from the factory for Emissions.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #3055
Skapegoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Does anyone have any Dominator-specific advice on how to set the fuel/air ratio screw?

I've just had a new CDI put in which seems to have fixed the not-starting and not running problem (yay!). The bike runs fine when in gear and moving, but when it's idling...it'll idle perfectly healthily at about 1500 rpms...until it quietly and undramatically stalls. It sounds like it's getting bogged, as there are also very minor pops (backfires) in the exhaust upon restarting. And then it restarts perfectly fine - just VERY inconvenient when you're at the head of a line of traffic.

I seem to have reduced this problem by frantically messing around with the fuel/air ratio screw, but it's still stalling after 90-120 seconds of idling.

Check that the carb pumper arm on the right hand side of the carb is moving freely and returning properly.
You can see it working off the throttle housing like its using it as a cam.
If they seize open they can cause what you are describing.
Skapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #3056
rabbitears
Adventurer

Thanks for the advice guys.

I haven't done the carb mods, although I notice that my screw doesn't have tabs and it doesn't look like they've been ground off. Given that it's a 20 year old bike now, the whole carb might well have been replaced at some point before I bought it.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #3057
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys.

I haven't done the carb mods, although I notice that my screw doesn't have tabs and it doesn't look like they've been ground off. Given that it's a 20 year old bike now, the whole carb might well have been replaced at some point before I bought it.
Depends where in the world you are?
Different countries, different carbs.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #3058
rabbitears
Adventurer

Ahh, I didn't know or think about that - I would have assumed that Honda just installed the same OEM carbs on all bikes at the factory. (I'm in Australia).
Old 08-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #3059
Skapegoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Ahh, I didn't know or think about that - I would have assumed that Honda just installed the same OEM carbs on all bikes at the factory. (I'm in Australia).
Have you any pictures of the carb?
Skapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #3060
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,663
new owner checking in. I just put a deposit down on an 88 NX650 with 12,000 miles that will be the wife's bike. She has a WR250R now but it gets a bit wrung out on long trips keeping up with bigger bikes. looked at all kinds of options including V-Stroms and KLR, but kept coming back to the NX650. Plus we always wanted one in the stable.

First order of business will be getting it lowered for her. I intend to go through the suspension and do it properly, but we need a quick solution so she can ride it home from 8 hours away. Is there a lowering link available for this bike?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote