Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #3436
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWzenrider View Post

I have been keeping a spreadsheet of fuel usage for my bikes, and may be able to answer your first query.

Link to full post.

I have the IICE-Air units installed on both of my bikes; a 2002 R1150R with bags and BMW Touring Shield, and a 2005 R1200RT with a Hannigan sidecar attached.

Before installing the unit I had to run Premium grade fuel (93 octane) to control pinging if accelerating hard/suddenly; and it still did it on occasion even on Premium.

Running on Regular grade fuel (87 octane) I find that the bike still runs about the same as on Premium with the plug installed, including being less prone to pinging under hard acceleration.

As a bonus, the bike gets around 10% better fuel economy on Regular with the plug vs. running Premium before the plug was installed!

One HUGE difference I have found with the IICE-Air installed in the sidecar rig is when taking off from a stop. Because of the extra weight of the sidecar I used to have to give it a fairly large amount of throttle/rpms and feather the clutch quite a bit to get things rolling.

With the IICE-Air installed take-offs take significantly less throttle and feathering. Nearly as easy as on the 1150R solo bike. Makes riding the rig in city traffic MUCH easier.

For me, that was worth the price all by itself.
WOW! Thanks Karl, for your MPG and performance writeup!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 08-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #3437
Wisenheimer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Hey, ordered mine about three months ago. Was wondering if I fell through the cracks or you've stopped making them or what? JG, Ca.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #3438
Daz the Aussie
Dualsporting Actor

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisenheimer View Post
Hey, ordered mine about three months ago. Was wondering if I fell through the cracks or you've stopped making them or what? JG, Ca.
3 months ago? Oh hell no bloke, you have not waited nearly long enough yet.

"Where do I go now that I've gone too far?"

My actor site: www.dazbyard.com
Old 08-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #3439
Feo y Gordo
Now What?

Oddometer: 4,815
I'm flying to Texas to pick up an 1150GS in October.

Should we start a get it/won't get it pool?

Old 08-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #3440
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Still a few days left in August,for that group .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Old 08-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #3441
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz the Aussie View Post
3 months ago? Oh hell no bloke, you have not waited nearly long enough yet.
Ok I have to echo the sentiment

It took a while for it to arrive (I forgot about it) Yes the wait is worth it

My 1150GSA is running better an it has ever been!!! Have not tried anything other than premium fuel (but might due to others)

She has more bark and pulls stronger than ever, Heck I have 3 bars left on the fuel gauge and at 220 miles. Not sure what rabbit got bulled out of the hat but this is worth the wait.

Side note; 150GSA with 85k hard abused miles on the clock
Old 08-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #3442
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisenheimer View Post

Hey, ordered mine about three months ago. Was wondering if I fell through the cracks or you've stopped making them or what? J.G., CA.
Hi J.G. from California. I'm sipping coffee just now, getting ready to put in some hours at the bench this morning. And I can tell you it's neither of those things. You didn't fall through the cracks, and I'm still making them. There may even be inventory on the shelf at some point. I for one will celebrate that day. Thanks for you patience. Cheers.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 08-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #3443
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feo y Gordo View Post

I'm flying to Texas to pick up an 1150GS in October.

Should we start a get it/won't get it pool?

Hahahaha!    Wait, I mean . . . That's terrible.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #3444
Feo y Gordo
Now What?

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Hahahaha!    Wait, I mean . . . That's terrible.

If I get in a big hurry for it, I'll just make one myself.

I told him I'd buy it back in April, we haven't gotten in a hurry about closing the deal yet.

Feo y Gordo screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 08:41 AM
Old 08-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #3445
TommyHolly
Teaparty member

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWzenrider View Post
{clipped}

{clipped}

I have been keeping a spreadsheet of fuel usage for my bikes, and may be able to answer your first query.

I have the IICE-Air units installed on both of my bikes; a 2002 R1150R with bags and BMW Touring Shield, and a 2005 R1200RT with a Hannigan sidecar attached.

Below is a graph showing the fuel economy figures for the R1150R before and after installing the IICE-Air.
Before installing the unit I had to run Premium grade fuel (93 octane) to control pinging if accelerating hard/suddenly; and it still did it on occasion even on Premium.
I did notice a slight decrease in fuel economy in mixed city/highway riding with the plug installed, but also found that I could run one gear higher at any given speed, so I gave Regular grade fuel a try again.

Running on Regular grade fuel (87 octane) I find that the bike still runs about the same as on Premium with the plug installed, including being less prone to pinging under hard acceleration.
As a bonus, the bike gets around 10% better fuel economy on Regular with the plug vs. running Premium before the plug was installed!

Drivability improvements and being able to run in lower gears is similar for both the solo and sidecar bike, but I have not been able to discern any solid pattern in the fuel economy with the sidecar rig because of the much wider variations in fuel use depending upon speed, loading, different size rear tire during winter/summer, etc., and not having put as many miles on the rig since getting the IICE-Air units.

One HUGE difference I have found with the IICE-Air installed in the sidecar rig is when taking off from a stop. Because of the extra weight of the sidecar I used to have to give it a fairly large amount of throttle/rpms and feather the clutch quite a bit to get things rolling.
With the IICE-Air installed take-offs take significantly less throttle and feathering. Nearly as easy as on the 1150R solo bike. Makes riding the rig in city traffic MUCH easier.
For me, that was worth the price all by itself.
Hey thanks! This was done very professional. I appreciate your work.

By the way, how were you able to run 87 in your BMW? I thought that you always had to use 93 or do the older models take lower octane? From what I understand, lower octane can cause premature detonation (happens to some guys haha) and that will cause severe engine problems.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 08-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #3446
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
On an air cooled motor with the cylinder heads not far from your ears you can hear a lot of the pinging (caused by detonation).

Richer mixtures are a known way to reduce detonation. The ICE Air causes a richer mixture on throttle transitions... which happens to be when detonation is more likely to happen. How convenient!

Higher octane fuel is more resistant to detonation, but it contains less energy. If you can run lower octane without detonation, it will usually return better mileage.

The question here is, if you don't hear any pinging, could there still be some detonation?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #3447
Wisenheimer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Hi J.G. from California. I'm sipping coffee just now, getting ready to put in some hours at the bench this morning. And I can tell you it's neither of those things. You didn't fall through the cracks, and I'm still making them. There may even be inventory on the shelf at some point. I for one will celebrate that day. Thanks for you patience. Cheers.

Good to know. Thanks....
Old 08-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #3448
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,051
I cannot wait!

A friend brags on his Booster Plug. By all accounts this is better.

Just placed my order
Old 08-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #3449
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,242
Just ordered...tell Santa I'll be waiting.

Tbone screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 06:55 AM
Old 08-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #3450
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Would this device help with low rpm remapping ? My 2013 R1200 GSA seems to run to rich and occasionally stalls out when slowing down to a stop. It also pops when cool. I use 93 Octane fuel and ride at sea level. I want a leaner fuel remap on my GSA. Would this do it ? I also want the flexibly to clear the real map in case I ride in higher elevations. My bike always seemed to ride too rich right from the day I bought it with 13 miles. I have 8000 miles on my bike and commute on it 1/2 the time.
Closed Thread