Old 08-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by haystack View Post
Aren't you scared?

"What if you get lost????"

Been a crazy day dealing with last minute details.

I noticed my pre-trip panniers looked a little barren for some reason.

There, that otta do it!

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 05:31 PM
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Whoeeeeeee.......
Wadayatalkingabout....... The 8gs will treat you right, out and back....
Have a great journey.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #19
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Hey Erling!

Don't worry, the precious cargo is loaded out of sight.

It's a late launch. Long story but added to it all, just like when you pull in to a coffee shop....all the people with lots of time come over and ask a hundred questions and tell you stories of their one big adventure 25 yrs ago. I pulled the bikes out and the neighbours dropped breakfast and ran over. After a lot of short answers one neighbour said "When ya leavin'?" All ATGATT, I said "as soon as you all do!" That made the point. Great, now they all know the house is vacant for 3 wks.

We're aiming for Iowa City as a first night. We'll see how that goes. Only 850 kms and a Border stop.

Later!

Reaver screwed with this post 09-25-2014 at 07:53 AM
Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 AM   #20
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 862
Yep, I'm in. How do we know a motorcycle ride really started this morning, there were no shots of breakfast!! Poser!!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #21
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

I do off course expect you having a live gps tracker turned on so we can click on your position.....

Erling
Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #22
Muffin
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I fear this is too late but I have to try. Avoid Chicago like the plague! Regardless of time of day. I had never seen 18 wheelers backed up as far as the eye can see until attempting to take I-94 South around Chicago once. If this reaches you in time, go very far South of Chicago to bypass the fairly all day (I mean, like, 10pm) traffic problems around this area. Joliet is not far enough, keep going... Sadly, it will be a lot of small towns and no expressways but it's still a better deal. Going North via the ferry to Wisconsin is good and of course around the top of the Great Lakes is super, but both of those are probably a bit late to adjust to. Have fun!
Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Yep, I'm in. How do we know a motorcycle ride really started this morning, there were no shots of breakfast!! Poser!!

Having pissed off the neighbours, there was no one to take a pic of us both.......

Here's the Radio Face with my "New Mother" haircut. Wash and wear. At least I still have it all.

Watch traffic, watch the road, keep an eye on Zumo, enjoy the scenery, monitor the gauges......Oh F! Good, she's still there.

I heard about this "Sturgis" place on the History channel I think. Isn't that where the Pirates come from?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #24
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I do off course expect you having a live gps tracker turned on so we can click on your position.....

I actually picked up a SPOT but left it in the store. More crap to monitor. I just wanna ride!

Old 08-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #25
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
I fear this is too late but I have to try. Avoid Chicago like the plague!
Yup. Too late. We did it today (Saturday) and it was no prob except the gas station (rant later). We've done a Great Lakes tour a few years ago. Yes, it's awesome!

Welcome.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Oh Me Arse!!!!

Day 1

949 kms, 11 hrs in the saddle!

That's almost 600 miles for you Yanks.

So much for my endurance worries. We're in Geneseo Illinois at what Zumo thinks is a Super 8 Motel. I forget what the sign says buy the lady at the desk gave us a single person rate with some discount for a membership we don't have. Sweet. We'd stopped at a Best Western with a vacant lot and they told us $100. F that S. At the 800 km mark I saw Bec drift across a lane. She later said she was struggling to stay awake. Not good. I was cruising at 80 mph when my engine suddenly cut out. For a sec I was in shock but quickly realized I'd simply let go of the throttle. Interstates are extremely boring and tiring. We made it although stupidly pushed ourselves.

Normally Border crossing into the US is a breeze. No paperwork, no fees just a passport check and a few questions. NOT TODAY! We got Special Agent "Thorough" with a "Not on My Watch!" attitude. He was checking trunks, poking in windows and every other car went for secondary inspection. Twice our lane was shut down because inspection was full. OMFG! With about 10 cars in front of us, it took an hour. We'd had a late start because the stray cat that showed up at my house days before I moved, and I reluctantly adopted, started acting weird like it was sick. Bec had to reassure herself it would be ok. The Pet sitter is a vet. Cats are free, can we go now? I call him "Broken Tail" but I think it should be "Broken Head". It's weird, even for a cat.

It was a beautiful day for a ride. Sunny and 26-28 C which feels cool at 80 mph. I chose to wear my System 6 helmet for various reasons like my sunglasses got trashed during the move and it has a flip down sun visor. It's modular which makes it wider than my Shoei Hornet creating more wind resistance. My neck was sore after 2 hrs and that doesn't happen with the Hornet. The peripheral vision is less as well. It's always windy and turbulent in the Great Lakes areas but soon it will be much hotter as we leave them behind.

I look like Marvin Martian.

Reaver screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 08:27 PM
Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #27
Reaver OP
Outta Here

The Sun's getting low..............

And the shadows are long..............

But my alternator is still working..............

We gained an hour heading West so the day was longer. Coming home is a different story.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #28
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Laugh Welcome to the State

Reave
Your bike is way too clean Ride safe
Thanks for sharing your RR
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #29
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Welcome stateside Amigo......

Erling
Old 08-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #30
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
My Ride:

On this trip I'll be Team Leader, Chief Mechanic, Route Planner, Photographer, Logistics, Public Relations, Ride Reporter as well as the Comic Relief. Bec will be "On Vacation" with minor inputs regarding eating and sleeping decisions. Um yeah, who am I kidding?

My value as Chief Mechanic is not fully appreciated cause as she says "Why bring all those tools and parts when we never break down?"
Quote:
Just tryin' to piss off as many of you as I can before I leave. I was nice to your wife Woody...............

Where's Loutre??????

The excitement is finally sinking in.

Oh Darrryl, sweetcakes. Do you already miss me? As I see you still can't live without me. Sorry for the late joining but I needed to wait for some guys to leave, to take care of their home for the next three weeks. Fingers crossed their internet connection seems to be working :o). Stupid thing is someone emptied their beer stock and I need to buy some 6 packs for the party I'm giving in their home. You know that film project X? That is only the prequel :o).

These cheap pricks only left a cat, what the hell am I supposed to do with that?!

Well enough about me. Do you still brag about that "jet mechanic for dummies' program you took a couple of years back? You know that you couldn't even fix santa's magic sleigh with that knowledge.

As said before you should leave that "public relation" part to your wifey, as well as the logistic part since it involves:
"the detailed coordination of a complex operation involving many people, facilities, or supplies", and "the detailed organization and implementation of a complex operation"... Well over your league buddy... Keep following your sat-nav and try to stay on your bike. Oh and that black color scheme? Who are you kidding? You can't pull of the Ba(d/t)man look .

Ride safe you too... oh and isn't SHE scared riding with you??

And don't start giving me crap about that color, someone already took my "green" for this RR (I'll hunt you down!). So I'm trying to add a feminin side to this man chauvinistic RR... You're welcome WORLD!

You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote