Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #2836
redneckrocket38
Mopar/Kawi Kid

Oddometer: 29
I have the pro circuit unit and it is USFS spark approved but MUCH louder than stock.

sent from my crappy nexus
Old 08-03-2013, 03:23 AM   #2837
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,399
Hey Guys, when you make a Motard bike out of a KLX650, what road bike wheels and sizes have people used, Do some poeple reuse the rear rim or is there a road bike that the rims will nearly fit straight on without to much mods?
Cheers Fogo...
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #2838
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
Hey Guys, when you make a Motard bike out of a KLX650, what road bike wheels and sizes have people used, Do some poeple reuse the rear rim or is there a road bike that the rims will nearly fit straight on without to much mods?
Cheers Fogo...
Hey Fogo,

See these topics all supermoto together.
http://www.planetklx.de/wbboard/boar...d9e5ec7cbb0d43
just look at felgen = rim

just asked. give me the link an i explain

all kinds rims are used aftermarket and other bikes total wheels, other brake adapters etc.

in first there where people on a C that took rear C rim in the front.
Also discussion on what tyres - reifen in the back how wide.

But the spokes could be different on rim and hub.
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #2839
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobsavers View Post
Option 4: Move to Australia.

Until then, I've decided to build a couple of inserts using the info and pics Myway posted. Have an 1-1/4" perforated tube on the way to help with the build.

What do you plan on using for the cloth? I have a Suoertrapp that likes to eat fiberglass packing. I am looking for this heat resistant cloth to help quiet it down. So far, I have only found massive quantities on line and nothing locally.

This one product does not have a minimum on its procing page:

http://www.firesleeveandtape.com/hig...n-tadpole.html
http://www.firesleeveandtape.com/AB-...og-S-FG-BP.pdf

Lesharoturbo screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 10:08 AM
Lesharoturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #2840
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
try google for Stainless Steel Wool. A different choice, it might work for you.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #2841
jobsavers
Liketoride

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesharoturbo View Post
What do you plan on using for the cloth? I have a Suoertrapp that likes to eat fiberglass packing. I am looking for this heat resistant cloth to help quiet it down. So far, I have only found massive quantities on line and nothing locally.

This one product does not have a minimum on its procing page:

http://www.firesleeveandtape.com/hig...n-tadpole.html
http://www.firesleeveandtape.com/AB-...og-S-FG-BP.pdf

Thanks for the links. Looks to me like some of this will work, and sells by the foot. I'll call Monday.
jobsavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #2842
jobsavers
Liketoride

Inserts are ready.

Finished up.

http://jobsavers.smugmug.com/Motorcy...ilencer1-M.jpg
Old 08-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #2843
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:

two closed ones??
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #2844
jobsavers
Liketoride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
two closed ones??
I had enough perforated tube to build four, so decided to experiment a little. Thanks again for the specs sent earlier.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #2845
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
That should work. I have a Scorpion exhaust that works on that principal. The inner tube runs almost the whole length and it capped on the upstream end. Much of the exhaust is forced into the outer perforated tube but has to go through the inner tube to exit.

It has no baffling material, so a little loud for my taste. I added a reducer baffle on the intake end. The small end is the same size as the inner tube . It is perforated and forces more exhaust into the outer tube first.

Works much better than stock and is reasonably quiet.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #2846
jobsavers
Liketoride

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I added a reducer baffle on the intake end. The small end is the same size as the inner tube . It is perforated and forces more exhaust into the outer tube first.

Works much better than stock and is reasonably quiet.
Got a sketch of that reducer baffle?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #2847
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
It is exhaust connection that reduces from a larger size pipe to a smaller one. They are found at most chain auto supply stores. I don't remember the size I chose, just that the big end was a loose fit within the exhaust. Actually the exhaust pipe into the muffler fits over part of it.

I perforated the pipe where it makes the reduction in size. Not too scientific, just a variety of hole sizes and slits. The small end rest on the top of the internal baffle that is capped.

My Scorpion is loud and very free flowing. Terrific top end with very little low end power. Playing with baffles makes a significant impact on the power curve.

I just kept playing with it until I found one that made some power over the entire curve.

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 09:55 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #2848
jobsavers
Liketoride

I wrapped the closed end insert with some pretty dense fiberglass mat, and tried in out. It seems to work pretty well. Definitely quites the bike down a bit . . . most noticibly at high acceleration. Still good power all over.
This contraption was built trying to emulate what was apparently stock for an R, at least Myway's R, but do not know if the American made R's had the same set-up?

I adjusted the idle up a tad (.5 to 1 full turn) to get the bike to idle the same as without the insert. Other than that no obvious ill effects.

Under this circumstance, should I be at all concerned about over restricting the exhaust, or creating excessive backpressure, to the point of creating a problem, for example, prematurely burning up the exhaust valve?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #2849
Knobster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
I wrapped the closed end insert with some pretty dense fiberglass mat, and tried in out. It seems to work pretty well. Definitely quites the bike down a bit . . . most noticibly at high acceleration. Still good power all over.
This contraption was built trying to emulate what was apparently stock for an R, at least Myway's R, but do not know if the American made R's had the same set-up?

I adjusted the idle up a tad (.5 to 1 full turn) to get the bike to idle the same as without the insert. Other than that no obvious ill effects.

Under this circumstance, should I be at all concerned about over restricting the exhaust, or creating excessive backpressure, to the point of creating a problem, for example, prematurely burning up the exhaust valve?
With today's "fuel" it is tough to tell if my bike is too lean or too rich by just pulling the spark plug, unless it is way off...IMHO. I live in Illinois and we have nothing but Crap-in all (10%Ethanol and who knows what else).

I have a 94' C-model, dyna-jet kit with the suggested jet for my altitude, Adapted DG O series exhaust can and mid-pipe from my old KLR and the 1 1/8" DB killer insert, K&N filter with the air box lid and no snorkel (nylon window screen glued under snorkel hole),.
With the air/mix screw at 2 &3/4. It "seems" a bit lean...If I pin the throttle and let it rev to 5-6 k and back off, she will pop a little on de-celeration. The bike is very quite until I open the throttle and even then, it is not loud.

IMHO,If you have some popping on de-cel after a hard acceleration, you "MAY" be too lean. If the popping is loud?...I'm thinking you very lean.

FYI... My carb is completely re-built. I had VERY hard to see with the naked eye cracks in the diaphragm and that was an issue with my "tuning problems".

Cheer's

Tom.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #2850
jobsavers
Liketoride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobster View Post
IMHO,If you have some popping on de-cel after a hard acceleration, you "MAY" be too lean. If the popping is loud?...I'm thinking you very lean.
Crapahol gas here too. Dial-a-jet installed on my bike too, (smoothed out response and eliminated some popping on de-cel I was experiencing pre-Dial-a-jet.)

In light of your comment, took the bike out this morning for a run. Started right up on the second kick. No popping on de-cel after a hard acceleration in any gear. The only apparent effect the muffler insert is having on the bike, (after initially adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw), is the intended one that it is quieter.

I am confident that the quieter output and factory look of the pipe will reduce unnecessary risk of starting a fire, and pass any upcoming USFS inspection I might encounter in Colorado.

Thanks all for comments and help.