Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #61
UncleRandy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Special Agent Nancy, thank you! Awesome report about your adventures and your personal experiences along the way.
UncleRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #62
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Finally caught up on your latest adventure. I've never thought about riding to Alaska but it sure does look great in your pictures. Enjoying your trip from afar...

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #63
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,014
Great stuff. Keep it comin'!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #64
riverbound51
The new guy here

Oddometer: 8
Looking to make it up there next year. Definitely taking notes on highways, routes and stopping points for the night. I never thought about hostels. Thanks for sharing this!
riverbound51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #65
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Don't take this as the usual leg humper line, but the pink looks very good on you! it amazes me how clean and fresh you look in all your 'pink' pictures, knowing you've been on a bike, in gear, for days!!!
Let me tell you that the color pink had a profound effect wherever I went in Alaska. The choice was a very practical one; it's made of terry cloth so I could put it on right after a shower and not have to bother with a towel, it's soft enough to double as PJ's, and most important of all, after being stinky, or sweaty, or bundled like the Michelin Man all day, it helped me to feel feminine again, at least for a little bit.

It stirred many men to act a bit weird....Mark shared with me a saying in Alaska...because there's such a different ratio of women to men, if you're a man, just get in line...

I'll also mention for any women wishing to travel there, they should know that social norms just don't exist here. Men are polite and helpful but they are also rather forward. I'll give a couple of examples. I was coming out of a cafe and eyeing the tables around me for a place to sit, all were taken but a nice fella jumped up with his coffee in hand and just grabbed my arm and shoved me down into his seat. Later that day, after getting my hair done, I walked over to some people I knew and chatted with them about it and some random guy I don't know just ran his fingers through my hair without even saying hello first.

Both events were good natured but by general definition could be pretty creepy too. So I guess I've now addressed my "men" part of the title.

SpecialAgentNancy screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 07:25 PM
SpecialAgentNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #66
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
The Alaska Marine Highway changed Alaska in important ways. Captain Rudini told me how whole towns would come out to the docks to cheer the ferry's arrival. Here is a great shot of one of the other ships.

He's right, you know. I was a kid living in Sitka when the ferries started running and it was a HUGE deal. The whole town turned out for the Malaspina (??). I'm retired now and hoping to make it back there next year.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #67
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
wrong hwy ?

"....to be honest, I was rather disappointed with the whole Vancouver Island. I'd read a lot of RR about how amazing the ride along the island was this or that but all the way to Campbell River, it was just a 2 lane divided highway without much in terms of scenic views..."

You must have stayed on the newer Hwy #19 and not taken the 'scenic route' which is by the water, known as Hwy #19A ? .... that's where you find all the little shops, etc.

Nice AK write up ... but no Stewart-Cassiar or Alaska Hwy ? .... guess it's a long way from San Francisco eh ?

:)
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #68
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
Nice AK write up ... but no Stewart-Cassiar or Alaska Hwy ? .... guess it's a long way from San Francisco eh ?

:)
She did a little of the Alcan, from the junction of the Klondike Hwy and the Alcan to Delta Junction and then back from Tok to Hainse Junction, had the pleasure of the worst frost heaves TWICE.

Colorado native, doin' time in Texas
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #69
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,568

Is there more? I'm really enjoying your RR. I was going to make a comment about the pink...but somebody beat me to it.

Anxiously awaiting more...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #70
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Yes yes, about 2 more weeks of fun....just need to set some time aside.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #71
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Day 21 & 22

Meet Russ from Texas. We had breakfast together and discussed the rest of the trip together at some length. We were going to share the ride back all the way to the border of BC and WA. Russ is from Texas and known as McRuss on ADV.

I decided to leave Dawson City earlier than he was ready to leave because for once it was clear and sunny and it was important to me to ride on dry roads. So I met up with the other Russ from Seward and his gang of misfits and off we went. We got rained on a bit but nothing to whine about.

Nice shot of Russ coming around a bend. He was always racing ahead of the group to get action shots of the rest of us. I liked that he too stood on the footpegs rather than sit. The Top of the World highway is super easy dirt, nothing to be concerned about. Most riders went 70+mph on it but as a general rule, I stand on the footpegs when on any dirt or gravel....you just never know. Plus it's easier for me to steer with the footpegs.

Not a particularly beautiful photo but one worth showing...the RV's in Alaska are as bad as the mosquitoes.

They are everywhere. They are driven by foreign and domestic alike. And they all have one thing in common....no experience driving these things. So take all your turns as far from the center because most likely there is one of these moving houses on the other side of the turn hogging the center of the road.

We went back to Tok and stayed at Thompson's Eagle where I was a sissy and took a shower at the campground next door for $5. It was much more quiet as most people just pushed on through back to their homes in one day. McRuss arrived about a couple hours after me and said he got dumped on almost the whole way...the rain is so unpredictable in Alaska.

We woke up early the next day and headed to Delta Junction where I noticed that younger women in Alaska really like eye shadow and stopped for breakfast. Sorry no photo of the cute girls with garish eye shadow, you'll have to go to Delta Junction for that.

Hemmed and hawed about whether to get the full or half order of biscuits and gravy. I was burping for hours after this.

We took the Richardson highway 4 South from there and finally saw the pipeline!

My father came to Alaska to work on the pipeline when I was a kid. I vaguely remembered seeing it but I was only 5 at the time.

Then we rode by a frozen lake (Summit Lake) and saw these beautiful avalanche slides.

The boys in Alaska sure do like their guns.

Turned off on the Denali Highway 8 heading West. Met up with other riders at the last gas fuel up where the road turned to gravel. Got the 411 on the road; soft shoulders, stay in the center, some large loose gravel from wash outs. One rider that had just come through got a flat....bet she was riding "dual-sport" tires. *sniker*
Confident on my TKC's, a good night's rest, a reliable riding partner and enough food in my stomach to regurgitate to a hungry cub we set off on our last stretch of dirt. 100 miles of it.

The weather held but it was dry and dusty and we rode a good 2 miles apart just to keep it bearable. I've ridden on dirt with groups enough to know that the perfect speed is between 40-45 to keep the dust down, stay constant and easy on the throttle and for chrissakes don't pass then stop then pass again, then stop again. You make everyone else eat your dust constantly, it's just plain inconsiderate. (you know who you are)

We stopped once, halfway through at the sluice box.

Nice photo of Russ coming up behind me.

So this road was a lot less fun. Russ told me he had the handlebars tank slapping more than once. There were a fair number of patches of fist sized loose gravel in long patches of 100-300 feet at a time. No fun. Thinking back, I'm a bit surprised I didn't take a spill but then I think the formula is 1/3 skill, 1/3 equipment and 1/3 nerve. Sometimes you just have to ride it out and hope for the best.

Made it through and found our hostel/campsite. This was by far the cutest place I'd stayed out in Alaska.

Right by a river.

In the shadow of the Denali. Boots of failed hiking attempts?

Russ got one of these tents. Complete with mosquitoes.

I rented a bunk in the female dorm.

Take your shoes off when inside.

The rock stacking thing is big in Alaska.

And the ice cold stream shrunk my feet back to their normal size.

Walked across the street to a pizza joint that made a darned good pizza.

This marked my furthest point on the whole trip, from here on out it would be going home. I was a bit sad but also felt grateful that I'd made it, had a wonderful time, met many fun and zany people and had nominal challenges.
But there was still some adventure to be had....
Old 08-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #72
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 307
Nice RR, loving the write up and photos. Laughted my ass off when I saw your tag line "in search of pork".
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #73
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
Sorry no photo of the cute girls with garish eye shadow, you'll have to go to Delta Junction for that.

Hemmed and hawed about whether to get the full or half order of biscuits and gravy. I was burping for hours after this.

Who needs pictures of young women with garish eye shadow when you have a picture of biscuits and gravy! . Enjoying your RR, photos, and writing style.
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #74
SA Moose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Somehow your story caught my eye - have no idea why...
SA Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #75
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BcDano View Post
Nice RR, loving the write up and photos. Laughted my ass off when I saw your tag line "in search of pork".
Any good ADV'er knows that a good ride always includes either bacon or BBQ