Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #76
yellow 1150GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I don't even remember learning to ride. My dad was a true motorcyclist as he got his first bike when he turned 16 (1946). He raced until I came along and I learned how to ride about 5 or 6 years old. The first real bike I remember was a Yamaha 80 with the step-through frame that I rode until I was about 10 or so. Of course I rode every other bike that I could get my hands on until I graduated to a Bultaco Sherpa 125, then a Sherpa 200, then I bought a 1974 Yamaha DT250 the week I turned 16.
In college I rode a 1975 360 Pursang, and rode motocross until I turned 21. Got married and had a Suzuki GS750, Yamaha 850 triple a couple of XT250 Yamaha's and graduated to a 1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate.
Children came along in 1983 and my wife and I got off the road to raise our two daughters. Went to dirt bikes and rode a number of Honda XR's. Finally when they got old enough we went to mountain bikes as four dirtbikes was just too expensive.
Finally with the youngest daughter at 17, I couldn't wait any longer and bought the 2003 BMW R1150GS (with 139,000 miles)that we have now. We taught the oldest grandson to ride "when you can ride a bicycle without training wheels" which he pulled off at 3 years old. His mom is now a Nurse Practitioner/critical care nurse who won't let him ride and dislikes us riding, but once the bug bites, well!!!
yellow 1150GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #77
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow 1150GS View Post
We taught the oldest grandson to ride "when you can ride a bicycle without training wheels" which he pulled off at 3 years old. His mom is now a Nurse Practitioner/critical care nurse who won't let him ride and dislikes us riding, but once the bug bites, well!!!
Sounds like the plucky lad taught himself to ride. I never did get it with those "trainer wheels" anyway.

A pity about the mother, whose objections are probably based on her working life at the bottom of the cliff..... but there's a lot of it about these days. Too many kids aren't allowed to experience any risk anymore.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 07:51 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #78
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,617
Fahrschule. Would go back, but would prefer to spend that kind of money on another bike!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #79
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,878
First bike, 1967 Moto Morini Corsorino 60cc 4-stroke w/"twist-shift", in 1968 at 9 years old. Lasted almost a year (the bike) before I blew the trans apart.
First "real" bike, 1968 Sachs Boondocker 80cc 2-stroke. 21" front wheel, 18" rear, just like Dad's Husky!!! I was 10, couldn't even come close to getting my feet on the ground, Dad said it didn't matter because my feet were supposed to be on the pegs anyway. Rode that bike for 3 years, and that's the bike I really learned how to ride good in the dirt on.
First street bike, 1974 Ducati 750 Sport, at the ripe old age of 17. Yeah, life was tough back then!

CW
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #80
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Best friend in High School had a Honda 125. I rode on the back of that several times and then we went to the abandoned Airport runways and he got on the back telling me what to do. Rode that thing all year. Went to Air Force Basic Training after graduation. Got stationed out in CA. Found a Master Sgt selling a 82 Honda CB650, bought it for $650. Rode it several months and then took the MSF. Sold it 7 years (1999) later for $650. And due to various life happenings didn't ride again until 2005 when I bought my Yamaha FZ1. The FZ now has nearly 100K miles on her. Had a KLR650 for a while as a first DS bike. Found out it was a great bike, but just too damn big for the type off-road riding I like so she was sold after a year and half and was replaced with a DRZ400.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #81
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,378
Back sometime in the 70's, my friends had mini bikes, briggs and stratton motors, no suspension kind of things.
I was never able to get one, but I bugged my dad long enough to where he bought a Kawasaki 100cc dual sport (2 stroke).
My first ever ride was on a little field next to the store in Hanesport NJ.
I stalled the bike out about 10 times till my dad got angry, then I managed to get going. I was 14 I think.
We used to take the bike someplace, he would go out for a ride, be gone a while, and I thought he fell and cracked his head open. He would come back, and I would go, and he thought I hit a tree. It was not working out.
I managed to talk him into LENDING me some money to get my own bike, a Suzuki TC90.
My friends parents bought them bikes TS90, and a Yamaha dt100, and all four of us went out almost every weekend to various places we could ride.
We would ride all day long, and summer vacations had us ride local almost every day. We did a LOT of riding.

My friends spent all their money on pinball and so on, I bought chains and gas and tires. When something on their bikes wore out, their parents fixed it eventually, I was busy milling the head of MY bike to increase the compression ratio and doing other things to get more power.
It was MY bike, not my parents.

I had years of riding before I ever got on the street in a legal way, and it paid off big time. I was VERY wild, but never had a bad crash.
A few low sides in the rain (very drunk) very early but no real damage to me or bikes.
No street crashes since the last lowside in 1979? I think it was.
Big bikes, little bikes, street bikes, dual sports, motocross bikes, local and cross country riding, not owning a car, all weather riding, snow riding, mud riding, enduro racing, street racing, still doing it.
Never had a lesson other then the one my dad gave me, and he barely knew how to ride. He was in Europe in WW2 and 'borrowed' a German bike, hit a shell hole and got injured and almost got in trouble for it.
Some BMW adventure bike no doubt.
And no Starbucks....
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #82
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,531
Wicked '69

After a couple of years of begging, because I had been exposed by my Dad's Nephew to the joys of a Triumph Bonneville. My parents bought me one of these for my eighth birthday.

I learned to ride, maintain, and wreck, on the dead end dirt road and horse riding trails around our house on that bike. Got my first concussion too.
Four years later I had obviously outgrown it and for Christmas got upgraded to a XL 70. After mastering the new bike on the dirt, I started riding pavement on the private drive of the Country Club my Dad worked at. Took and passed my M-drivers license test on my 14th birthday on it too. Riding the bike to school and work (yes I was working at 14), it became clear that it was too slow for busy traffic, plus I had another growth-spurt. . So I saved my money, sold the 70, and bought a XL 125 with my own hard-earned cash.
That lasted me through Jr. High and into High School, and taught me the joys of riding two-up.
I did get a car license at 16, and borrowed my Dad's van fairly often. Strangely some of my date's Fathers would rather see their Daughter on the back of a bike than in a van.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #83
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
How did you learn to Ride?
I'm still learning.
Guess I'll let you know when I'm done.

CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #84
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,878
^^^^^^^^ Good post! ^^^^^^^^
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #85
jrdolezal7
n00b

Oddometer: 2
learned twice

I have 2 stories. One when I learned as a youth and one when I relearned this year at age 60. At age 20 a friend and I decided we would take a 2 month motorcycle trip around the US when we graduated from college. I'd never been on a bike. I bought a 1975 550 Honda and read the manual so I could figure out how to start it and switch gears. I rode around the block twice and a friend jumped on the back and we rode to the bowling alley. Two days later I rode from Indiana to Florida.

At age 60 I hadn't ridden in years and knew I had to relearn. This time I took the MSF course, read every safety book and read every safety article and safety tip on the internet. I bought an old suzuki marauder and in 3 weeks put many miles on the bike practicing on parking lots and back roads. I DON'T FEEL INVINCIBLE ANYMORE AND AM A LITTLE WISER.
jrdolezal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #86
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,378
Well, there are a LOT more cars on the road now, and they are all texting!
What you did was what most did back then, or they started in the dirt on little low slow bikes.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #87
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Hey Jersey guy, I enjoyed that story. I grew up in Cali, but I guess when it comes to motorcycling, we are all pretty similar. While we might feel the great days were back then, the new kids are having life changing fun with motorcycles too. My two sons had their own version. One is 32 and the other is 27.

As Charlie Roseo would say; Fun Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Back sometime in the 70's, my friends had mini bikes, briggs and stratton motors, no suspension kind of things.
I was never able to get one, but I bugged my dad long enough to where he bought a Kawasaki 100cc dual sport (2 stroke).
My first ever ride was on a little field next to the store in Hanesport NJ.
I stalled the bike out about 10 times till my dad got angry, then I managed to get going. I was 14 I think.
We used to take the bike someplace, he would go out for a ride, be gone a while, and I thought he fell and cracked his head open. He would come back, and I would go, and he thought I hit a tree. It was not working out.
I managed to talk him into LENDING me some money to get my own bike, a Suzuki TC90.
My friends parents bought them bikes TS90, and a Yamaha dt100, and all four of us went out almost every weekend to various places we could ride.
We would ride all day long, and summer vacations had us ride local almost every day. We did a LOT of riding.

My friends spent all their money on pinball and so on, I bought chains and gas and tires. When something on their bikes wore out, their parents fixed it eventually, I was busy milling the head of MY bike to increase the compression ratio and doing other things to get more power.
It was MY bike, not my parents.

I had years of riding before I ever got on the street in a legal way, and it paid off big time. I was VERY wild, but never had a bad crash.
A few low sides in the rain (very drunk) very early but no real damage to me or bikes.
No street crashes since the last lowside in 1979? I think it was.
Big bikes, little bikes, street bikes, dual sports, motocross bikes, local and cross country riding, not owning a car, all weather riding, snow riding, mud riding, enduro racing, street racing, still doing it.
Never had a lesson other then the one my dad gave me, and he barely knew how to ride. He was in Europe in WW2 and 'borrowed' a German bike, hit a shell hole and got injured and almost got in trouble for it.
Some BMW adventure bike no doubt.
And no Starbucks....
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #88
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 197
I bought a Kawasaki KV75 mini bike from a neighbor's kid for $75 when I was in middle school. We had a twenty acre field behind our house where I essentially taught myself to ride it. A few years later I got a 1972 Honda SL70. That bike taught me how to shift with a clutch. The SL70 was a street legal enduro. My mother threw away the title and registration that came with it so I couldn't use it when I turned 16. I ended up blowing the motor and selling it. A friend had a new Suzuki RM125 that amped things up a little. After we moved I stopped riding with the exception of the rare occasion when someone would invite me out to ride. I had never ridden a street bike until about a year and a half ago.

My main transportation is a Ford F350 diesel which gets 12 to 13 mpg. A friend at work bought a Suzuki DRz 400 for commuting. He convinced me to buy a dual sport to save fuel, but since I am a bigger guy, I opted for the DR650. I bought the bike and practiced in our pasture for a week before I took the MSF course for my license. After I got the license I went out to a state forest to practice at higher speeds on the dirt roads. I basically went back to the off road that I was comfortable with before hitting the streets. After twenty years of not riding, I kick myself for all the years that I was away. I have been able to go places and explore areas I never could reach before. It has provided a much needed outlet for stress relief too.

To answer the OP's question, I am mostly self taught.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #89
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
bought a scooter and rode it. then i rode it in traffic. then i learned how to operate a motorcycle. then i got my Phd in riding
Old 08-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #90
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoklahoma View Post
After a couple of years of begging, because I had been exposed by my Dad's Nephew to the joys of a Triumph Bonneville. My parents bought me one of these for my eighth birthday.

I learned to ride, maintain, and wreck, on the dead end dirt road and horse riding trails around our house on that bike. Got my first concussion too.
Four years later I had obviously outgrown it and for Christmas got upgraded to a XL 70. After mastering the new bike on the dirt, I started riding pavement on the private drive of the Country Club my Dad worked at. Took and passed my M-drivers license test on my 14th birthday on it too. Riding the bike to school and work (yes I was working at 14), it became clear that it was too slow for busy traffic, plus I had another growth-spurt. . So I saved my money, sold the 70, and bought a XL 125 with my own hard-earned cash.
That lasted me through Jr. High and into High School, and taught me the joys of riding two-up.
I did get a car license at 16, and borrowed my Dad's van fairly often. Strangely some of my date's Fathers would rather see their Daughter on the back of a bike than in a van.

I got my '68 Z 50 in 1970. Same color as above. What a great little bike! I had it for a year before getting a Kawasaki 90 "Bushmaster" with 18 inch wheels and a clutch, at 14.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote