Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #61
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,716
Sorry if this has been covered. But how do the pants fit compared to the traverse?
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #62
Elusion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Anyone have the Grey color? Some of the pics it looks almost white, seems like it would show dirt easily.
Elusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #63
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
"Gray" is very white.

I enjoy it on my Latitude Jacket for being cooler. But on paints I would most likely go black for the road grime/dirt.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #64
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
just got the pants. Not as light as I thought they would be. Colors exactly match my Traverse jacket for the gray.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #65
Drop-n-Roll
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I picked up one of the new Klim Overlands this week. I've been shopping for a 3 season jacket for several months never finding one that quite had everything I was looking for. I wear a BMW Air Flow 4 in the summer but I was looking for a jacket for spring, fall and winter.

I spend quite a bit of time outdoors in the fall and winter hunting and have realized the past few years that the most comfortable I've been is when I use a merino wool base, a primal loft under layer and a gortex outer and that was what I was looking for in a motorcycle jacket, a gortex shell.

I looked at the Revit and Dainese line but it was just too restricting in the armpit area. Nice stuff but too binding for my build. I tried just about all of the BMW line but didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling on any of them. I was close to pulling the trigger on the Rallye 3 but I really wanted to try a Gortex shell.

I kept going back to the Klim Badlands but just wouldn't commit to it. It fit nice but seemed a bit overkill with logos and pockets. I was looking for something a little more basic. The Lattitude fit pretty well but I didn't like the light color combo and was looking for something other than black.

I tried the Overlands and right away really liked the fit. It was pretty basic with minimal pockets and a real nice look in gray. What I liked most about it was the fit. It fit pretty nice with just a tee shirt, but I could also layer up underneath without feeling all bound up. I finally wrote the check and took one home.

Here's what I found. The jacket armor that comes with it is nice but for an extra $70 I can upgrade the back, elbow and shoulder armor to the D30 Pro. Same D30 the jacket comes with but a little heavier. A very nice upgrade! The jacket is very comfortable up to around 80 degrees with just a tee shirt underneath. The side and back venting works "very" well. There are no chest or arm vents in this model but again, I wasn't looking for a summer jacket. Some folks wish it had a waist belt. I'm pretty lean at 5'9 170 (33 waist) and the medium fit me perfect with no bagging or flapping in the wind, so the lack of waist belt was fine with me. When it gets cold I plan on wearing a primal loft jacket underneath. It's nylon so it won't bind up and the slipperiness of the primal loft makes for a real nice under layer. I can also slip on an electric vest or merino wool depending on the temperature. All in all a very nice setup for traveling or riding around home. All for $389 plus around $70 for the armor upgrade.

Hope this helps those considering the Overland.
1988 BMW K75S
Drop-n-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #66
Drop-n-Roll
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
About the color. The gray in the Overland is not the same gray color used in the Lattitude. The Overland uses dark gray in the impact areas and a lighter gray in the body. I would have went with the Lattitude had it had the same color scheme as the Overland. I just kept looking at the Lattitude saying, "man that's light colored". Maybe it's just my eyes???
1988 BMW K75S
Drop-n-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #67
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,716
So does anyone know if the Overland pants are sized and cut the same as the Traverse???
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #68
tcall52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop-n-Roll View Post
About the color. The gray in the Overland is not the same gray color used in the Lattitude. The Overland uses dark gray in the impact areas and a lighter gray in the body. I would have went with the Lattitude had it had the same color scheme as the Overland. I just kept looking at the Lattitude saying, "man that's light colored". Maybe it's just my eyes???
In my opinion, the light color on the "gray" Latitude is way too light. I think it would show dirt from a mile away. I looked at the Latitude before buying the Overland. The Latitude is obviously a very nice jacket, but I like the Overland better for its simplicity.
tcall52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #69
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Overland Pants

Gave my new Overland pants a go yesterday. Just under 100 miles in about 4 hours. Very comfortable and easy to maneuver in, and the ventilation worked great. May sound weird, but they just feel like your wearing pants as opposed to a snow suit. Waist is in the correct place etc. No problem fitting over my SG-12's at all. Got 2 more days of riding before I head back to work, but so far, these pants what I'd hoped they be. I'll probably order the suspenders, but I don't have hips, or a butt according to my wife!

I'm not very style/color conscious with motorcycle gear. For how I ride it will all be dirty and have dead bugs on it anyway. I wanted the lightest color possible because of the heat here. As it turns out though, when wearing the gray Traverse jacket with the gray Overland pants, they look like they were a "set".
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #70
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
So does anyone know if the Overland pants are sized and cut the same as the Traverse???
No, they are different. Traverse is higher in the back, baggier in the crotch and stretchy in the waistband. Overland is more like jean cut in the waist. I was hoping to find an offroad pant similar to my Dainese
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...em-d-dry-pants
And the Overland was it.

Much better in my opinion.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #71
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
I talked to a Klim rep at a dealership "tech session".
I told him the armor is loose and doesnt cover much. He said that, unlike dirtbike armor that you strap on, the armor on my overland is meant to "float" a bit.
Basically he said to just deal with it.
And my question to him would be: "Float"? Why?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #72
Michael bell
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
I'm a slim 6' 175lbs, tried on the traverse M, and of course the sleeves were too short in a riding position. Now have the overland in a L, and the sleeve lengths is perfect, but the body of the jacket is way baggier than i would like. Definitely not "skinny little euro boy" sizing...

Not alot of faith that the elbow armour will stay put, and those dinky velcro straps are just for looks, cause they ain't gonna hold anything down under stress.

The heft and feel of the jacket is nice, fairly burly. Neck closure keeps wind out well, vents do ok, but i don't live in a hot weather zone.

As mentioned, the sleeve cuffs are tough to get over gauntlet gloves. I have Held Air n Dry's, and its a pita if you are doing town stuff, and having to put on/off often.

Overall, if the jacket is truly waterproof, and will keep some road rash away, i'll be happy. But, it's not quite the magic bullet jacket at $430. imo.
Better 'skinny little euro boy' than 'most obese nation in the world big fat supersize yank' size!
Michael bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #73
Elusion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
I just received the pants and the armor in the knee is not well designed. It doesn't cover my knee very well, especially the sides. The pocket for the knee armor is somewhat large, so the armor floats around a bit.
A bit disappointing.
I do have mx knee armor that I can wear underneath.
I bought size 34, which is what I wear for the Mojave pants I use on my dirtbike. It fits fine on the waist, but the knee armor isn't so great.

Also, the velcro on the bottom of the pants tends to open when I mount the bike or just from hitting the foot pegs.

From what I've read online, the knee armor design is a common gripe people have.

I tried moving the knee armor up....there are velcro pieces within the armor pocket. The problem I'm having is that there's no way to secure the bottom of the armor if I move it up.
So I can move the armor up to #1, but the bottom part is at #3 already, I can't secure the bottom--it's as high as it can go. Kinda weird. Any advice?

Did you ever figure this out? I need to move my Knee armor up and find the same problem you describe.
I thought that I could buy the "pro", thinking they were bigger. but after looking at the dimensions of the "pro" and measuring the armor in there already. They are the SAME size.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #74
.fisher
pissin' in the wind

Oddometer: 118
I just purchased/received an Overland jacket from an inmate here in the Flea Market and have been watching this thread for a while, hoping to contribute a bit so here it goes…

Took the jacket out for an hour or so ride last night in about 82º / mild-humidity with a cotton t-shirt underneath. The pit-zips and exhausts do their job to keep your core cool, however some fore-arm vents would be nice. This wasn't technical riding by any means but I can see how doing some trail riding in this jacket you'd work up a good sweat. I'm not going to get into the breathability of the Gore-Tex because that's probably been beaten to death in some other Klim thread. It is what it is.

As some have stated the D3O in the shoulders and elbows is a bit thin, but the user can upgrade if they feel necessary.

Cut and patterning of the jacket is nicely done. It's obviously a more entry-level piece of gear but is still nicely patterned with good ergo's and sensible, thought out feature placement. I'm a lanky dude — about 6', 165lbs and find the medium to be a surprisingly perfect fit. It'll allow for layering from fleece to a low-fill down insulating jacket. Plenty of room for a pressure suit through the shoulders and sleeves.

Hope this helps anyone considering the jacket. FWIW, YMMV.
.fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #75
tcall52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
The XT and the XT PRO pads are the exact same size except for the thickness. The PRO pads are about 50% thicker than the regular XTs.
tcall52 is online now   Reply With Quote