ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #19
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Here are the issues. The 3rd week end of October (19/26) would be best for the Fall Colors. According to the Stanislaus National Forest they will be closing the Campgrounds on 10/12. Closing means the gates or if they don't have one, turning off the water and locking the bathrooms.

I am pretty sure the Inyo National forest that covers 108 to past Lee Vining do the same. I was in one last year and It closed 10-9.

Ditto Yosemite.

I am trying to find something near a town and not at high altitude, it gets cold. Not everyone wants to roughs it.

There are some unimproved campgrounds, some on unimproved roads. Not every one is comfortable with that.

I know of 3 on 108 that you can get access too, but unless Kennedy Meadows is still fully open, it is a long way to breakfast.

If some one knows of a site that meets the criteria speak up, we will go there.

I like Grover Hot Springs and really don't mind paying the hefty camping fee, we can always split them. I don't like the 2 vehicles per site that forces us to purchase more of them. Big Trees is rather forgiving of that. I wonder what they would say if brought a trailer and everyone parked on that.

Sometime in the next month I plan to check with Kennedy Meadows for a closing date and see what Grover Hot Springs has to say. They have limited camping at Benton Hot Springs. Anyone camped there?
What's the deal with the BLM or county campground on the reservoir near Markleeville? I think its called Indian Creek Reservoir.. Is that open thru October? Its low enough elevation to satisfy us and near a town for food. It also has a reasonably priced group site but vehicles are all parked in the open lot, not at the individual tent pads. Personally that doesn't bother me since the campground is 5 miles off the main road.
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote