Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #17
Klutch
gringo goatrider

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
How are your bikes insured?
Mine or the OP?

Mine are thru ABA seguros until June 2014. When I talked to a USAA representative last month she suggested a different company that they work with. Might look at that closer when the ABA seguros expires.
We need to figure out something else in 3 years since none of our vehicles will be allowed to be US plated under a residente permanente.
Insurance down here is pretty tricky compared to the US in my mind. Any suggestions are welcome.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #18
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,069
There are many options in insurance, in the two decades I have been living here and insuring bikes here,I have always gotten a good deal.
Do you need to take all the vehicles out of Mexico once per year? How are you paying the registrations?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
Klutch
gringo goatrider

We do the yearly vehicle registrations online for both our SUVs. They are temporarily imported to Mexico until Aug/Sep 2013 when our residente temporal expires. (So no they don't need to leave Mexico yearly but we drive them back pretty often anyway.) 3 years from now we have to decide whether to nationalize the SUVs here or drive them to any border and sell them.
Before that we'll probably buy a couple of Mexican cars/trucks here.
Motos I'm not real worried about. Most of the guys I ride with ride normal motocross only bikes with no valid plates. Mine at least have non-current US plates on them and the law enforcement here pays no attention to them.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #20
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

So long story short, your bikes were never legally imported for use in Mexico, you are using out of date US registrations for them?
Heads up, all bikes, in fact all motor vehicles will require liability insurance in the fall, liability limits have drastically changed to the higher end. If you try to insure a bike that is not legal in Mexico you are commiting fraud, if you are using an illegal bike in Mexico with no insurance you will be on thin ice. Mexican riders get away with all kinds of things, they also speak the language and have friends and relatives who can get them out of a jam.
A bike that is illegal in Mexico can be confiscated at any time, producing proof of insurance that you know was fraudeuntly obtained is a criminal act.
It is Mexico, there are laws, would you do the same thing in the USA?
Law enforcement is going to be paying much more attention when the deadline passes for obligatory insurance.
Whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
Klutch
gringo goatrider

They did a sweep earlier this year in Nayarit and Jalisco at both our families homes looking for "chocolate vehicles". They threatened to impound vehicles that didn't have valid temporary permits. All of ours were good but I'm told this happens every year or so.
December 2012 the national law changed so the state of Nayarit increased the maximum liability from $30,497.78 to $208,888.89 using the current exchange rate. I've got way to much to lose so I carry an international personal liability policy worth many times that for our entire family.
The Mexican laws concerning off-road vehicles are pretty tricky from what my attorney says. In Jalisco the laws are much more lenient than Nayarit probably since Jalisco prides itself as the off-road capital of Mexico even though I always thought Baja was.
I'm self insured in the US so I don't pay for vehicle insurance except for when my vehicles are in Mexico since I can't get Mexican vehicle insurance on a US plated vehicle without having valid US insurance. Insurance is a complicated ripoff!
My attorney is slowly taking care of some of the legal stuff for me here. In July I drove one of our cars back to the US and the Banjercito girl wouldn't refund me the $400 US since the vehicle had been in Mexico for about 1 1/2 years. I had the notarized documentation that explained the extension but that was worthless on a Sunday. Monday morning and one phone call from the attorney to the Banjercito office in Mexico DF and my $400 deposit was waiting for me at any Banjercito location when we came back south across the border. It always amazes me how the facts win in any dispute. The girl at the border office also had a memo to allow temp import for the period of the immigration. Ours were 3 years.
I'd never do anything fraudulent or criminal since I'm a citizen of the world but anytime laws and rules are made tighter or stricter then the loopholes always get larger.
I prefer BGB law in Germany but they could do a lot more than impound my moto there! At least the civil law in Mexico makes more sense than common law in the US. Must be the German side of my brain?
Mexico is one of the most motorcycle friendly countries I've ever raced and lived in. Japan was probably the best but that's a long way from the awesome warm water surf here
Surf's up
Old 08-24-2013, 02:33 AM   #22
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Cool, and yes, besides Puerto you are in an excellent surf spot.
The catch is going to be the Federal insurance law that will trump state law.
I thought your bikes were street or dual purpose bikes and that is why I mentioned it.
Of course, your lawyer you have working on it will know the ins and outs better than I ever will. As always here, everyone understands what needs to be understood except the damn bureaucrats, but that isn't just a Mex thing
Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #23
Klutch
gringo goatrider

Puerto Escondido is a little to advanced for me but I love the area. Most of our breaks here are too big for me as well. There's 5 main breaks within walking distance from our house and one is just a few steps down the stairs. I hope to get good enough to do a boat trip down the coast with one of our local guides next year. It takes him about 5 weeks to hit his favorite spots from here to Puerto. If we can get them all mapped out I'd like to ride the 200XC-W all the way and meet him at each point. Then load the bike on the boat at Puerto and motor back home. Only in infant planning stages now.
The federal/national insurance law has been enforced for almost 8 months now. The locals aren't very concerned with it here but all of us gringos sure are.
Here's one of mexpro's newletters from Feb 2013. Better safe than sorry.
http://e2.ma/webview/80oef/e551247d1...905c0b99dcb56d
Being retired US law enforcement, I also carry my state and local police contacts in my phone that could help if my cell happens to get service.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #24
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

That's the change in limits, what is coming soon is the obligatory carrying of insurance. You can, for the next little while, be without a policy, but that is what will soon change. The change in limits was discussed on another forum thread some time ago.
I ve still got a nice 9' 7" with a wood tail and assortment of single fins for the box and a 7' 9" tri or single convertible kicking around.