ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #9271
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,684
New Garmin Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
Since the change to 5.30 switched my shortcuts I need some help. My shortcut for finding places to eat has been changed to intersections and I can't remember how I made those the last time!

Anybody want to re-explain the process?
Setup/shortcuts, select the one to edit, then Edit/icon

Sent from a large projectile hurtling down the highway.

The lazy way to travel.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 06:05 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #9272
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Setup/shortcuts, select the one to edit, then Edit/icon
It wasn't just the icon that changed, it now starts the find intersection search. It's a different shortcut that I can't find in the shortcut menu to even edit. What's weird is the same type I use for finding fuel was left untouched but since I can't find where that one stored I can't reverse engineer it.

I'll try to post a picture of what they look like.
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #9273
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
It wasn't just the icon that changed, it now starts the find intersection search. It's a different shortcut that I can't find in the shortcut menu to even edit. What's weird is the same type I use for finding fuel was left untouched but since I can't find where that one stored I can't reverse engineer it.

I'll try to post a picture of what they look like.
The Icon you are talking about is not a custom shortcut. It is a WhereTo? app. You put it there by going to Setup->Main Menu->Add->Application->WhereTo?->Intersections

If you do have a custom Shortcut that the Icon has been changed on due to the update, just do the following: Setup->Shortcuts->pick yours->Edit->choose your Icon and back out.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 07:35 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #9274
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The Icon you are talking about is not a custom shortcut. It is a WhereTo? app. You put it there by going to Setup->Main Menu->Add->Application->WhereTo?->Intersections
Bingo! I knew it was different from a regular shortcut but couldn't remember exactly how.

Still not sure why it changed though. Where the "Intersection" icon is now is where the "Fuel" icon was before. I initially thought it just changed the icon but it changed it to search for intersection as well.

Thanks!

FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #9275
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,106
I put together a few wallpapers images for the Montana.
If anyone would like them go here to download free.
Not trying to make any money just doing it for the fun of it.

Just click on the picture and then the little arrow bottom right of the page to download.

Remember you need 4 images per set so if you like the one called "Map" then you need all 4 pictures.
Once there are download put them in the folder ---- Garmin/profiles ---on the Montana

Map_landscape_day

Map_landscape_night

Map_portrait_day

Map_portrait_day

Thanks
Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #9276
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
Those are really cool, Fred. Thanks!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #9277
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
I put together a few wallpapers images for the Montana.
If anyone would like them go here to download free.
Not trying to make any money just doing it for the fun of it.

Just click on the picture and then the little arrow bottom right of the page to download.

Remember you need 4 images per set so if you like the one called "Map" then you need all 4 pictures.
Once there are download put them in the folder ---- Garmin/profiles ---on the Montana

Thanks
Fred
Cool...of course if you want to save battery when you are handheld, a black background is best (those pixels are off).

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #9278
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,106
Good to know I'll keep that in mind of future sets.
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #9279
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,288
Thanks for those man. Those are pretty cool and I will certain make use of them.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #9280
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,690
What folder would you put these in???

Love the Yamaha ones....

EDIT - Found it...
Little Blue goes looking for Orange

mbabc screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 08:53 AM
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #9281
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Cool...of course if you want to save battery when you are handheld, a black background is best (those pixels are off).
Not sure if this is a troll, but...

Black background makes no difference in power consumption. Individual pixels are just liquid-crystal light "valves" letting the backlight through and the backlight power which is orders of magnitude more then the "valves", doesn't change reagardless of what the pixels are doing. The "valve" power change between black and white is almost non-existant (often it takes very slightly more to be black!)- switching the valves takes much more power than just sitting at one level so the power consumption of the "valves" is higher if they're switching a lot but they'll still be way, way less than the backlight...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #9282
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Just got back from 800+mi trip through the AZ Mogollon Rim on through the White Mtns... not quite to NM but like Sarah, I could see it from my easternmost stop.

Aside from the "acquiring satellites" when map set to fast (with all the aerial imagery it was too slow at "fast" so I didn't feel like running it "normal") I didn't have any big bugs biting.

I ran 5.1 with logging set to one track point per second, about 7.5GB of BirdsEye and like mentioned, "fast" map updates. Arghh, all the BirdsEye reeeeeeeally made for incredibly long boots and the resolution even at "high" just isn't good enough for picking out the trails when the ground cover gets more than thin. Fortunately I had loaded some much higher resoltution .jpgs copied from Google Earth for a couple of the areas I explored.

The "acquiring satellites" bug only hit twice. It seemed like it may have been shortly after either losing the satellites (tunnel) or poor reception (deep canyon) and then reacquiring, but without a satellite log I couldn't tell ya! With SD's I really wish I could log a lot of different things, but I digress...
Old 08-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #9283
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Just got back from 800+mi trip through the AZ Mogollon Rim on through the White Mtns... not quite to NM but like Sarah, I could see it from my easternmost stop.

Aside from the "acquiring satellites" when map set to fast (with all the aerial imagery it was too slow at "fast" so I didn't feel like running it "normal") I didn't have any big bugs biting.

I ran 5.1 with logging set to one track point per second, about 7.5GB of BirdsEye and like mentioned, "fast" map updates. Arghh, all the BirdsEye reeeeeeeally made for incredibly long boots and the resolution even at "high" just isn't good enough for picking out the trails when the ground cover gets more than thin. Fortunately I had loaded some much higher resoltution .jpgs copied from Google Earth for a couple of the areas I explored.

The "acquiring satellites" bug only hit twice. It seemed like it may have been shortly after either losing the satellites (tunnel) or poor reception (deep canyon) and then reacquiring, but without a satellite log I couldn't tell ya! With SD's I really wish I could log a lot of different things, but I digress...
Am I correct to assume then that the "acquiring" issue is still present? You are using 5.1 and not 5.3?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #9284
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
Am I correct to assume then that the "acquiring" issue is still present? You are using 5.1 and not 5.3?
I thought about loading 5.3 but didn't feel like doing verification testing on this trip since I knew I'd have very little down time and it would be hard to do PC access if I ran into larger annoyances, so I don't know if it's present with 5.3. It definitely popped up while I was on the trip using 5.1 but it wasn't much of a big deal - only twice in all those miles (at least that I noticed) and both while doing two-lane highway on the way home. I was sort of lucky and noticed right away and just power cycled the unit both times although like mentioned power-ups take minutes with a lot of BirdsEye...
Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 AM   #9285
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,684
Montana's working perfectly with 5.3 and my auxiliary 78s works nicely to show geocaches along the way.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote