Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #46
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletech View Post
I know it's a compromise right now, something I may need to revisit in the future. Goal for today is to get the bike back up and running. Plus, if I pulled the engine apart and had running issues when it went back together I would have no recourse against the seller.
Gotcha.

You'll like the dukes quick revving and low down torque.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #47
Cycletech OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
It runs! Fired right up with no leaks, no rattles.

Developed a fuel leak at the brass spigot on the front carb that I'll try to fix tomorrow. I was planning on riding to work Sunday (VA to NC), so I hope to have it sorted by then.

Click the pic
Cycletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #48
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,157
Well that was fast! Did you have any trouble fitting the 950 carbs on the 990 intakes?
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #49
Cycletech OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nope, no problem fitting the carbs.

Three main things I carried over from the old engine:
  1. Coolant temp sensor in the rear head
  2. Exhaust studs
  3. Ignition trigger wheel
When I first got a look at the fuel injected trigger wheel I was swapping for the carb one I was sure they were the same. Putting them side-by-side told the real story.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #50
Cycletech OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The grean ground wire coming off the voltage regulator; where does it ground to? TIA
Old 08-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #51
Cycletech OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New o-rings solved the fuel leak at the carbs. It wasn't easy finding six o-rings that are fuel compatible, on a Saturday morning. After buying an o-ring set from Napa and abandoning them because the closest one was just slightly to big, I ended up in the 'HELP' section at Advance buying several sets of these brown o-rings. They are made for fuel usage, so I should be good. The other sizes that came in the pack will go in the o-ring bin for some other use one day.

After syncing the carbs everything went back together without issue and the first road test showed promise. Man this thing likes to rev! The trans is sharper too; more positive shifts.

This morning the bike is getting loaded for a 6 day work trip to NC. I might run by the Bull City Rumble on my way back. http://tonup.bigcartel.com
/bull-city-rumble

Thanks for everyone's help and input. I'll try to post during or after the trip today and let you all know how it goes.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #52
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Very impressive work there. I wish I was that fast. I pulled my engine in May 30, and that took a few days to do. Then the rebuild took about 30 days.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #53
Cycletech OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I wish I could say I was fast, I've lost some of what I had over the years. I used to turn wrenches for a living. Swapping this engine would have been done before lunch, 15 years ago..

The bike did great today, total of 224 miles. Everything is crisper than the old engine. Shifting, throttle response, torque curve, it's all great. The one thing that is different that I'm not immediately crazy about is the exhaust note at idle. The 950 engine had more of a 'big cam' lumpiness to it.

I took a few pics today, nothing to get all wet over though. I didn't leave the house until 3pm so I spent more time making time than I usually like. My style of riding is go hard for the first third, putter for the 2nd, then make a b-line for the finish during the third.

Chrysler Windsor in an abandon lot. Some fresh gas and air in the tires would make this old girl go, I bet

Nothing much here. Stopped for a break and took a pic. Didn't zip my fly up fast enough and caught some of my own shadow.

Abandoned places fascinate me, I try to stop to check them out when I can.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #54
kamanya
Andrew to most

What's your impression of the gearing.

What sprockets are you running? I found if you sprocket for the road it's a ball ache for slower stuff and visa-versa
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #55
Cycletech OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I missed the 950 6th gear a bit, found myself trying to shift up when there wasn't a higher gear, a few times. 5k rpm @ 75 mph with 17-42 gearing. I may do some single track later today, I'll report back if I do.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #56
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The one thing that is different that I'm not immediately crazy about is the exhaust note at idle. The 950 engine had more of a 'big cam' lumpiness to it.
I noticed a difference in my 950 when I rebuilt it with 990 cams. My 950 cams were heavily pitted and looked like lava stones on their tips, and 950 cam replacements had CRAZY prices on them, so I dropped in the 990 cams. To the eye, the 990 cams looked less aggressive in slope as compared to the 950 cams. The exhaust note on idle sounds less . . . choppy I guess is the best word. Just what you would expect from a cam with more "egg" shaped lobes. And my completed 950 now seems a little less aggressive in acceleration, which works very well for my riding style.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #57
Cycletech OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumbs down

Well after 800 miles with the new engine I can tell you if you're thinking about this swap, don't do it. The gearing is just wrong for the Adventure and like others have pointed out, changing the sprockets to compensate just isn't possible. You can have your trail gearing or highway gearing, but not both.

I found this out yesterday while doing some single track stuff; 7mph is the slowest I could go with the clutch out, and that was lugging the engine. Downhill was the worst; were you want engine braking you can't have it, unless you can go 7+mph.

Sure I can drop to a 16t front sprocket, but that would raise the RPM on the road even higher. Currently I'm right at 5k rpm @ 75 mph.

And... it's developed a nasty vibration at 5k and above. I'll recheck all the mounts and everything tomorrow, although I'm pretty sure it's not a mount issue.

Plus... I lost 10-20 mpg per tank.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #58
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well after 800 miles with the new engine I can tell you if you're thinking about this swap, don't do it. The gearing is just wrong for the Adventure and like others have pointed out, changing the sprockets to compensate just isn't possible. You can have your trail gearing or highway gearing, but not both.

I found this out yesterday while doing some single track stuff; 7mph is the slowest I could go with the clutch out, and that was lugging the engine. Downhill was the worst; were you want engine braking you can't have it, unless you can go 7+mph.

Sure I can drop to a 16t front sprocket, but that would raise the RPM on the road even higher. Currently I'm right at 5k rpm @ 75 mph.

And... it's developed a nasty vibration at 5k and above. I'll recheck all the mounts and everything tomorrow, although I'm pretty sure it's not a mount issue.

Plus... I lost 10-20 mpg per tank.
Maybe just swap tranny gears back to the Adventure: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835224
Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #59
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,581
That settles it. I'm just going for the total rebuild of the 950. You can find the 990 SD motors but the CR won't work and the swap trans swap is about as hard and you don't know what your getting etc etc. And/I you can't find any WR engines. Thanks for input.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #60
kamanya
Andrew to most

Yep, I didn't think you'd like it.

Apart from the influence that you describe, I also found myself having to drop 2 or even 3 gears for a corner to get engine braking.

If you do decide to swap your gearbox, the only additional thing to that thread of mine to be aware of is the shimming of the transmission shafts to stay in spec.

Axial clearance: 0.01 - 0.13 mm. I found the Adventure's shafts were a smidgen looser than the Dukes.