ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #4096
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
So to continue... and yes, the bike does get dirty. It just happened to be clean when I took the pics!!!

I fitted a Scottoiler the other day and am still experimenting with the drip rate. The shiny thin tube zip-tied to the rear cylinder coolant pipe is the vacum line which operates the Vsystem unit.

Shows the oil line and dispenser tube which I will trim back. Overall the installation is quite neat n tidy.

The GIVI quick detach pannier frames are a thing of close fitting beauty... on the left hand side...

...but not on the right hand side, yikes! My plan is to reposition the Remus pipe to fit under the RH pannier then cut the arms off the main rectangle pannier frame, shorten then re-weld and re-powder coat. I intend to use GIVI 33L Trekker boxes because they are not too heavy unlike some pannier boxes, quite narrow at 21.5cm and best of all not very expensive yet well made. The total pannier width with these boxes will be 83cm. By comparison the relatively narrow Yamaha XTZ1200 panniers are 89cm wide while the R1200GS Adventure's heavy alloy boxes are over a metre wide! Good for some but I hate having too much "wind-age" ...no good for tyre wear, fuel consumption and squeezing between the trees!

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 07:51 PM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #4097
Babatad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Best upgrades I've seen Grizzly bear!!!

Awesome job. Love the crash plates, side stand mod and the ceramic coating - need to find out who can do this for my beast!!!
Babatad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #4098
cladv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
[QUOTE=

...I fitted a Scottoiler the other day and am still experimenting with the drip rate. The shiny thin tube zip-tied to the rear cylinder coolant pipe is the vacum line which operates the Vsystem unit.
![/QUOTE]

Hi Grizzlybear. Do you install the electronic Scottoiler system?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #4099
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Thank you very much for your answers.

I think i will do also the second oil change on 7.500 km just to feel better.
I changed anyway oil on all my bikes on 6-7000km intervals oil.

As for that high oil consumption that some report... sounds weird to me. An engine that mentions to its manual oil change every 15.000km, should not burn 200-300ml of oil every 1.000 km. Its unacceptable !

Thats the oil a 2 stroker needs. At least my 1 cylinder XR400 needed less oil than that.

Of course, i bet that KTM says that this oil is within tolerance...
Alarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #4100
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Thank you very much for your answers.

I think i will do also the second oil change on 7.500 km just to feel better.
I changed anyway oil on all my bikes on 6-7000km intervals oil.

As for that high oil consumption that some report... sounds weird to me. An engine that mentions to its manual oil change every 15.000km, should not burn 200-300ml of oil every 1.000 km. Its unacceptable !

Thats the oil a 2 stroker needs. At least my 1 cylinder XR400 needed less oil than that.

Of course, i bet that KTM says that this oil is within tolerance...
Oil consumption on the break-in period is normal, the rings are still sealing then.
You also need to keep an eye on the oil level and add oil when necessary. Just like every other 4-stroke engine.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #4101
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,293
Strange but vital question

I took the other half out for a test ride today. I loved the bike but she thought the pillion position wasnt great.

She could have lived with it apart from the pillion grips which she thought were uncomfortable and too high.

My search is on for an alternative to the OE grab rails. has anyone fitted or found anything?

I cant change the other half as I need her for other duties

Edit:

had a thought.

Is it possible to swap the bars over to the opposite side and turn them upside down? i'm looking at every concievable option.

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 11:21 AM
sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #4102
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,555
Take them off, put a rack on it (like a CJDesigns) and then put handles on that if needed. The only pillion I've had in many years is my daughter and she uses the belt on my riding jacket(s) so I'm guessing here. You might also consider luggage mounts like Back Roads Moto (he makes Wolf's racks) or possibly the Givi. There may be enough of a handhold for your SO to use.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #4103
XsilverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyOwl View Post
I took the other half out for a test ride today. I loved the bike but she thought the pillion position wasnt great.

She could have lived with it apart from the pillion grips which she thought were uncomfortable and too high.

My search is on for an alternative to the OE grab rails. has anyone fitted or found anything?

Edit:

had a thought.

Is it possible to swap the bars over to the opposite side and turn them upside down? i'm looking at every concievable option.
I had to remove the grab rails and replace them with spacers as the handles pushed against my wife's thighs. She's only short legs unlike like the girl in the KTM brochure.
XsilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #4104
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
I also removed the cow horns.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #4105
numbutt
john

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
I ordered the Uni Filter yesterday.

They checked my VIN for any updates/recalls.

Nothing yet, so maybe KTM is just hoping we all pay for the fix ourselves.
Interesting.....on my KTM690R, KTM actually sent me out a new oiled foam filter to replace the original paper filter...without me even asking !!! Wonders will never cease, but I had already purchased one so now I have a spare...
numbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #4106
numbutt
john

Oddometer: 100
[QUOTE=Grizzlybear;22168303]So to continue... and

Interesting nice mods. As regards the chain oiler I have been oiling the chain manually with gear oil...sort of flush the dirt off. Problem for me seems that on the smaller front drive sprocket the centripical acceleration is higher and surplus oil is flung off here and KTM have kindly put the exhaust directly below this ....so far I have fashioned an aluminium 150mm X 100mm plate to cover the pipe...it will also reduce heat [ the gear position indicator sensor will benefit as its in a hot place ] ....I am also fashioning a closer fitting ''' cup/catch '' to go right under the sprocket cover ....will stop oil going else ware like down the stand etc
numbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #4107
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem View Post
I told by the service manager that KTM would be providing a fix for the dust issue. I will ask him next week when i back up home.

But then again, I have been told many things by this crowd and take what they say with a grain of salt!!
my KTM dealer's fix was the DNA pre filters.. thats all it was.. so no real fix for the leaky airbox or paper filter.. for $70.. ill order the unifilter..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #4108
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyOwl View Post

Lol tell her its an excuse and to hold on to you instead.. ;)

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #4109
Odan69
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Took the 1190 for a spin today with the Gopro in time-lapse attached to the duo handle bars...
I kind of like this picture :)

Odan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #4110
Barekat
Looking to get dirty

Oddometer: 231
Neat picture. why do you have your foot down? I don't see any dirt....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odan69 View Post
Took the 1190 for a spin today with the Gopro in time-lapse attached to the duo handle bars...
I kind of like this picture :)

1984 GPz550
1973 CB350
Barekat is offline   Reply With Quote