Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,715
Wow, sorry for your accident, but I really enjoyed your write-up, great pics, great trip, thanks for posting it.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
WOW Drone! Just read your RR and I am so glad you and Kirby are OK. Well that is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing... the front end of a BMW coming apart. I know Radioman had a issue with his 1150 ball joint going out but he did have 100K on the bike.

Well the important thing is Kirby is doing good and you will heal, but I too can attest that mending does seem to be a protracted timeline any more.

Just kick back and thank your lucky stars it didn't happen way out on the trail somewhere. you know OUT THERE

Hope to see you again next year at Hells Canyon on your sorted out Ride.

Take Care,

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,255
Holy Crizzap!!!

Glad you two dogs lived to ride another day!!

I've been the monkey during a sidecar crash, 30 mph feels like nothing until it's crash time with all that weight trying to keep you in motion!!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,235
As I was reading your report I was thinking about what a great time you must have been having . . . right up until the wreck anyway!

Sorry to hear of your mishap but damn glad you are OK.

Wow!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #20
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,566
Cannonshot--your tracks were brilliant! Can't imagine how long it took you not only to do the tracks but to do the RR with all that interesting info about the ride.

In advance, I saved all the likely "alt" routes I expected I might need (like the Fleecer workaround) and these made navigation really easy. I also brought along the Adventure Cycling Assoc maps, and had Garmin's 24k routeable topos on my Montana, so I never didn't know where I was or where I was going. I also enjoyed your waypoints so I could keep an eye out for things like a divide crossing, a campsite, or a point of interest.

I even saved your entire RR as a pdf file on my notebook so I could refer to it anytime even when I had no wi-fi. Every night when I climbed into my sleeping bag I would bring up the pdf and read the part that covered the next day's ride so the info would be fresh in the morning.

Thanks!

I was aware of course that the tracks I got from you were 4 years old so discovering slides and washouts and road closures did NOT result in my cussing you out in absentia. I've ridden enough in the backcountry to know that backcountry routes change from year to year.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #21
Pago Cruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Hey Drone - Great ride, great ride report, then BUMMER! I at it when things happen so fast... Really glad you two are ok. The rig is always fixable... Everything could have turned out much differently...

The weight is truly amazing. Earlier this year I weighed us fully outfitted at a truck scale... 1500 lbs!

We (yo, wifey, and canine Sally) did the pretty mellow southern two legs last Thanksgiving on our Sportster/Ural; that was supposed to be the trial for this summer's trip. Going over some narrow patches with drop offs I wondered if securing her (the dog, not wifey...) inside the hack with a leash was a good idea. In your case, it seems like having her thrown clear was the best possible outcome. Really good of you to cushion the bikes landing with your body...

Any thoughts on leash/no leash? Sadly, I had to put Sally to sleep a couple months ago; f'ing cancer . Hardest thing I have ever done, and it kinda took the wind out of our sails for hack trips. That dog would rather ride than eat...
Old 08-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #22
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,548
Thanks for the report! Great pics and narrative. Glad you and your pooch are relatively ok.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pago Cruiser View Post
Any thoughts on leash/no leash? Sadly, I had to put Sally to sleep a couple months ago; f'ing cancer . Hardest thing I have ever done, and it kinda took the wind out of our sails for hack trips. That dog would rather ride than eat...
There are pros and cons to a breakaway retraint system like what I use. Having a breakaway strap means that your dog won't drown in the lake or roll down the embankment when you have a crash. With a no-breakaway system the dog goes down with the ship even though YOU have been thrown clear! But the flip side to this is that if you have a crash, especially on pavement or in traffic, the dog might easily freak out and, if not restrained, run away. This might mean a lost dog, or might mean a dog hit by traffic after-the-fact. So it's kind of a toss-up and your decision of which way to go may depend firstly on (1) your dog and (2) what kind of riding you do.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #24
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Cannonshot--your tracks were brilliant! Can't imagine how long it took you not only to do the tracks but to do the RR with all that interesting info about the ride.

In advance, I saved all the likely "alt" routes I expected I might need (like the Fleecer workaround) and these made navigation really easy. I also brought along the Adventure Cycling Assoc maps, and had Garmin's 24k routeable topos on my Montana, so I never didn't know where I was or where I was going. I also enjoyed your waypoints so I could keep an eye out for things like a divide crossing, a campsite, or a point of interest.

I even saved your entire RR as a pdf file on my notebook so I could refer to it anytime even when I had no wi-fi. Every night when I climbed into my sleeping bag I would bring up the pdf and read the part that covered the next day's ride so the info would be fresh in the morning.

Thanks!

I was aware of course that the tracks I got from you were 4 years old so discovering slides and washouts and road closures did NOT result in my cussing you out in absentia. I've ridden enough in the backcountry to know that backcountry routes change from year to year.

Thanks and good to know that some of that stuff was helpful to you.

So glad the accident wasn't worse that it already was.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #25
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pago Cruiser View Post
Sadly, I had to put Sally to sleep a couple months ago; f'ing cancer . Hardest thing I have ever done, and it kinda took the wind out of our sails for hack trips. That dog would rather ride than eat...
Oh man, feel your pain. Would like to say it gets better, but all it really does is get a little easier as time passes. Good luck to you. Look up a story called the Rainbow Bridge. It's a silly little story that will bring you a lot of comfort.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #26
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Great write-up Drone, and happy that you are on the mend. Our group must have met you going the other way, and I think one of the guys mentioned meeting you (sidecar with dog). Hope you can get the rig fixed right and continue on down the trail some time....
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #27
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,083
Great write up and pics....up to that last part.....

So very glad you and Kirby are doing well.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #28
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,729
Was really loving the RR and story, sorry for the crappy ending. Glad you're recovering well!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #29
Mastercylinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #30
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
krikey, as I was reading through your rr I was getting ready to post a comment re "Seventy-nine years old and doing the GDR as a solo rider on his KLR" and then then your ride turns to @#$%. Here's hoping you heal up soon, glad Kirby was OK. Pretty cool that the nurse took him in; there's lots of good folks out there despite what the news would have one believe.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote