Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
Utah/Colorado BDR - Tiger 800xc vs. WR250R

sunday, august 25, 2013 - utah bdr sections 6 & 5

good to be typing in another adv motorcycling report! i've been back from my 4-month/8-country south american trip since mid-june. it was easier than i thought to re-adjust to normal life in portland, but amazing how quickly you take up old patterns. we are creatures of habit. i poured the energy spent while in SA into re-exploring my city, and now here i am out on the bike again, having felt the need for some reflection on the time since i've been back.

northern utah 3 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

got a random email about a month ago from a guy on advrider (PDX Alamo) who followed my blog and wanted to pick my brain about SA - he is planning something similar. we set up a 'man date', and ended up deciding to do the utah and colorado backcountry discovery routes (bdr) together.

he's on a much smaller bike than my triumph tiger 800xc. he's riding a yamaha wr250r, which weighs 295 lbs 'wet' and has a 12" ground clearance. by contrast, my tiger's 'wet' weight is 470 lbs. and has an 8" clearance. we were both curious how the bikes would fair comparatively on a heavy 'off-road' route such as the utah and colorado bdr's. clearly i have an advantage on road at that weight and size, and he has an advantage off-road for the same reasons. but we wanted to see how they would play together.

we're already 2 days into the ride, so i'll spare you the rest of the verbosity for now. we packed up the bikes thursday afternoon and headed to boise, idaho. the next morning we drove to logan, utah, which was close to the start of the utah bdr. realizing we didn't have time to ride, we opted to head out early and attempt 2 sections of the ride in one day - about 9 hours saddle time.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

bike in the nissan, portland, oregon by porkandcorn, on Flickr

prepping 2, logan, utah by porkandcorn, on Flickr

we are riding the utah route 'backwards', so sections 6 and 5 made a nice day's first ride. the scenery was not epic or mind-blowing - i'm likely spoiled by many of the vistas i experienced in SA. but the roads were gorgeous. beautiful, old backcountry dirt sweeping through open, big country. aspen groves flanked us on either side as we climbed in elevation. sheer rock faces poked out of the trees on occasion.

northern utah by porkandcorn, on Flickr

northern utah 2 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

northern utah 4 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the riding was not challenging, but it was fun. we decided to camp at strawberry reservoir at the end of the day. it was a wind-swept RV mecca, with $18 campsites and most importantly, gas. my accomplice only has 3 gallon tank, and he was running on fumes when we got there.

a beautiful sunset and calmer winds capped off a good start to the trip. it was hard to sleep with the excited of what lay ahead to the south in the subsequent sections.

porkandcorn screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 12:26 PM
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote