Old 08-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #3976
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
The tunnels are crazy here.
There have to be thousands.
The longest one I have been in is 5 miles but I am sure there are ones much longer.
The longest one I know of, which is near your route though behind you now, is 27 kms.

Glad your starting to feel better!
Old 08-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #3977
JMB_ADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
The TT is over
I want to see a F1 race if I can
I don't know
Give me some ideas
here's one:

http://www.nuerburgring.de/angebote/...dschleife.html

Great report thanks!
Old 08-26-2013, 12:41 AM   #3978
rahza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Thumb Hi Ed

Nice report. Great picture. Very energetic picture + the model. Full of wine and beers. Does your trip reach the half way mark already? keep healthy. cheers mate

azhar
Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #3979
stino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Yes I am
I have some new plans which involve riding The Flying Dutchman from Italy to Tunisia then to Dakar to Morrocco back to Spain.
But it would be possible later next year. And depends on my money situation too.
We can stay in touch
Lalo
Hi,I live near Milan if you need help or information about Italy let me know.
I'll be happy to help you
Old 08-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #3980
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMotorbiker View Post
Does this mean the tunnel branched off in multiple directions or did it have them just to have them?
It was an interchange underground.
They had the same type of thing under downtown Oslo.
I was heading downtown and was about 5 miles away. And then the road dropped underground in a tunnel.
There were exits to take in the tunnel. I just didn't know which one to take because my GPS was not working in the tunnel. Finally, I decided I needed out to look at my GPS to see where in the heck I was at. It turned out I picked the right exit as I was only half a mile from my destination. Shear luck.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #3981
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecbrxx View Post
The longest one I know of, which is near your route though behind you now, is 27 kms.

Glad your starting to feel better!
Yes, I think I know where it is. It was near the big waterfall. I figured it would have cost an arm and 3 legs to go thru it so I didn't. Plus it gets really cold in some of those tunnels. I saw one with a temperature drop of more than 20 degrees. And you would feel it in the first 5 seconds too.
But in the early morning when it was cold out still, the tunnels were warmers so I liked the tunnels then.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #3982
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB_ADV View Post
What does the least expensive ticket cost?
I heard it was big $$$$$
Probably why there is no Norway GP......nobody could afford it
Old 08-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #3983
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahza View Post
Nice report. Great picture. Very energetic picture + the model. Full of wine and beers. Does your trip reach the half way mark already? keep healthy. cheers mate

azhar

I am about half way in to my 800 days but I don't really know when I while stop. But after a night like last night, I was ready for it to be over.
But I am considering riding a Royal Enfield from India to Malaysia early next year. I hope we can stay in touch. I might need some help and have some questions for you.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #3984
arctic wildchild
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
A happy meal is $8 and there is nothing happy about that

remember to hit me up when you come to north italy
Old 08-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #3985
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
What does the least expensive ticket cost?
I heard it was big $$$$$
It's €26 for 1 lap.. they keep raising the prices since it was privatized and invested a lot in the F1 side... but it's still a lot cheaper than racing in Canada. This weekend is the Biker's Festival (free) last weekend was DTM races €10 day pass. I think the F1 is already over there this year though... moves to Asia after Sep 8 in Monza

During the week there are test cars driving around and during the weekend there's always lots of activity. It's well worth going just to see and watch!! I meant to PM you to meet up at the 'Ring because I have a season pass.. but my M3 keeps getting engine lights. I spent a few weeks working on it and had to find a M mechanic and get the car there..

I'd love to be in Norway right now though! I've seen a few spots for work but that's just not the same as riding the entire country! Living vicariously as usual
Old 08-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #3986
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Worst night yet

Ok
Maybe the second worst night.
That night in Ecuador where the 3 guys came up to me with guns and knives was pretty bad.
But I took a 9 pm ferry from Bodo to A (that it the name of the town. It's spelled A, but the "A" has a little halo on it) in Lofoten.
Lofoten is a string of Islands that jut out in to the west coast of Norway just about the Arctic Circle.
I rode from Trondheim to Bodo yesterday. It was over 400 miles. And 400 miles is a long way to go in a day in Norway. Plus I thought the ferry left at 5:15 but it turned out that they changed to their winter schedule that day which meant it was leaving at 9 pm.
It was such a nice day yesterday. It was 77 degrees just past the Arctic Circle.
But as I left Bodo and got on to the ferry, I noticed that the skies were changing. It was bright and sunny all week and I knew the picture perfect weather would not last. But what happen last night, I was not prepared for nor was I expecting.
The ferry got in to Lofoten about midnight. I was looking for a place to camp. Any spot would do. I ended up sleeping in the parking area at the end of the road out on the archipelago. The wind was calm and the skies were a little cloudy but I could still see the moon.
But about 2 hours in to the night, it started to rain a little.
And the wind kicked up.
Where I camped, I had my tent back in some trees so it was a little protected. But the wind gusts kept getting stronger.
My tent is a really good tent. It is a Nemo Losi. It has 4 strong aluminum poles so it is really sturdy. But the winds had it flopping around like a loose sale in hurricane. Water was coming in to my tent but just at one end. But when the wind really started to roar, the water was coming in under the fly. At that point it was about 9 am in the morning. I kept hoping it would get better but it seemed to be getting worse. I needed to get out of the tent before the tent ripped to shreds.
But this was something I had never done before.
How do I get out of the tent, get everything packed away and keep every dry in such a driving rain storm?
Well, I will tell you, it is not possible. Everything is soaked.
My thoughts were just to get everything loosely on my motorcycle and ride to a nearby tunnel, and let things dry out there. And there I would have the time to figure out what to do. So that is what I did.
I spread things out in the tunnel to see if the stuff would dry out but it was just too humid. Plus the temperature was dropping so it was cold.
I sat in the tunnel for over an hour trying to figure out my next move. I was hoping the storm would stop but it never let up.
I finally said screw it and loaded everything up and rode off.
I got only couple of miles and found a hostel. It was just too windy to ride on these tight narrow roads. Because it is Norway, this shared room set me back $50 but it is warm and dry.
I am looking out the window right now thinking it was the best $50 I have ever spent too.

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 07:40 AM
Old 08-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #3987
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
It's 26 for 1 lap.. they keep raising the prices since it was privatized and invested a lot in the F1 side... but it's still a lot cheaper than racing in Canada. This weekend is the Biker's Festival (free) last weekend was DTM races 10 day pass. I think the F1 is already over there this year though... moves to Asia after Sep 8 in Monza

During the week there are test cars driving around and during the weekend there's always lots of activity. It's well worth going just to see and watch!! I meant to PM you to meet up at the 'Ring because I have a season pass.. but my M3 keeps getting engine lights. I spent a few weeks working on it and had to find a M mechanic and get the car there..

I'd love to be in Norway right now though! I've seen a few spots for work but that's just not the same as riding the entire country! Living vicariously as usual
Ok
I thought you meant the GP race
Yes, I want to do a lap on the Ring but not with my GS
I know some people can ride fast on it but I can't.
But maybe if I take off a few sleeping bags and bottles of wine/beer first, it might improve the handling
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #3988
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Yes, I want to do a lap on the Ring but not with my GS
I know some people can ride fast on it but I can't.
With all mixed vehicles and bikes on that track at once, I'm a lot more comfortable and faster in my "cage" Are you heading south towards Italy next or E Europe?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #3989
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Remember when I mentioned that I didn't buy that bottle of water because it was too expensive? I can be stubborn like that.
And you might have also noticed that I get busy and try to accomplish too much in a period of time. I need to learn to stop and smell the roses more.

But I did something that I am almost too embarrassed to admit.
It is something I know Bronco Billy will shake his head at too.
But when I was staying with him in the Netherlands, he was kind enough to sell me a rear Heidenau tire, mount and balance it all for peanuts.

My front was worn too. But he didn't have a spare front. We balanced my front tire and it took a strip of weights that occupy about what seems to be a quarter of the circumference of my wheel. It rides much better now and I can ride at over 70 mph. My plan was to buy a tire in Germany where I could find one inexpensively. But I ripped right on thru Germany the next day. And then did the same thing in Denmark and Sweden. The whole time thinking I could make it to Helsinki with the same tire I put on in Ecuador. And if it needed to be replaced in Norway, I would buy one there, in Oslo.
But Norway is expensive
In fact, I pulled in to a gas station yesterday and they had a hamburger and fries combo for $30+. Ok, sure it was a double decker burger, but it was not Kobe beef for crying out loud.......it was a $30+ Norwegian gas staition hamburger!!!!!!!!!!!
So I could only imagine what a new tire would cost here. They charged me $62 just to put a new front tire on in Canada and Norway is twice as expensive.
So, to make my long story short, my front tire is now bald. And I am up in the Arctic Circle and I am sure there are no 19 inch tires around for hundreds of miles.
It is about 1000+ miles from here to Helsinki. And I am not sure if I am going to make it. And if by any luck that I do, I will be rolling in on the cords. And the cords don't have as much grip as rubber I am reckoning. Nor is my tire worth a damn in wet rainy weather (like today).
But, I am here in the little town of A.
I have made my own luck and I am now dealing with it.

And a somewhat funny thought rolled in to me head just now.
If my tire pops on my way to Helsinki and the front end washes out around a corner and I go sliding under the wheels of a big rig coming the other way, the readers here on my blog will never now what happened to me.
My last post will sound something like this.........
"Hey, I just spent the evening drinking some Belgium beer and French wine in a hot springs with three girls from Finland. And I will be heading in to Helsinki tomorrow".
And you will never know what follows.....
Did I stay in Finland with the 3 chicks or did my tire let go around the corner.
For my sake, remember me as the guy that traveled half way around the world and is now living in Finland.

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 07:46 AM
Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #3990
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
With all mixed vehicles and bikes on that track at once, I'm a lot more comfortable and faster in my "cage" Are you heading south towards Italy next or E Europe?
As they say....."with age comes a cage."

I am heading down thru the Baltics and then down thru Eastern Europe to Albania.
Closed Thread