Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #901
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 161
Inmates with a tire tool, anyone have any troubles with theirs?
I used mine to reinstall the tire after a flat repair on a 17" Heidenau rear tire, and all was just perfect.
This last week though I helped a friend install a new set front and back tires, and the 21" front tire was giving me problems. It seemed really stiff to push the tire onto the rim with the tool. Eventually figured it was the gearing on the tool at the longest reach. Tried greasing the gears, but seems the gear meshing is off just a bit. This happen for anyone else?
Old 07-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #902
mitch96
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
[QUOTE=Captain Excellent;21983595]Inmates with a tire tool, anyone have any troubles with theirs?

I used it for the first time last week and the only problem was the tool cut the tire a bit. Really powerful mechanical advantage. No problems holding air. I think the tool slipped a bit when the cut occured..
Old 07-30-2013, 05:50 AM   #903
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,000
[QUOTE=mitch96;21985444]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Excellent View Post
Inmates with a tire tool, anyone have any troubles with theirs?

I used it for the first time last week and the only problem was the tool cut the tire a bit. Really powerful mechanical advantage. No problems holding air. I think the tool slipped a bit when the cut occured..
I had the same issue. I need to play with it some more.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #904
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,833
I changed my second tire with the tool... This time the 21" inch front.
I have a Cycle Hill and I use it to demount the tire and hold the tire, but this tool is the cats ass when you put the tire back on.
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #905
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,171
I've mounted 8-9 so far, did a 120/70-17 for the SV last week while on vacation. All the others have been tube type. A little lube on the bead and "go slow and gentle" works wonders. I have both wheels on the DRZ to do today.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #906
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

DRZ got 2 new knobbies, about 1:40 with just the tools in the oem tool kit, a valve stem snake, my Trailstand and the tyre tool. On vacation away from home so did it in the yard on a piece of cardboard. The tyre tool is really handy for pushing the first bead over the rim which is always a pita with irons, and the second bead goes on so easy peasy. I did use a little lube but wouldn't have needed it on the trail.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #907
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I can't believe all the crazy ideas people come up with for changing motorcycle tires. I have changed hundreds of tires, including large cruiser tires, and all I have ever used were a couple of 10" tire irons (mine are now 30+ years old) a JC Whitney bead breaker for tubeless tires, and plenty of WD-40 for lubricant. Just remember to wash it off before using the tire. I have never had any problems doing it that way. And I have done it at home, beside the road, and on the trail. If you can't do it this way, you are doing something wrong.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #908
mitch96
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I have changed hundreds of tires, I have never had any problems doing it that way. And I have done it at home, beside the road, and on the trail. If you can't do it this way, you are doing something wrong.[/QUOTE]

Bully bully, good for you!

I, for one, am not that talented............
Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #909
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I can't believe all the crazy ideas people come up with for changing motorcycle tires. I have changed hundreds of tires, including large cruiser tires, and all I have ever used were a couple of 10" tire irons (mine are now 30+ years old) a JC Whitney bead breaker for tubeless tires, and plenty of WD-40 for lubricant. Just remember to wash it off before using the tire. I have never had any problems doing it that way. And I have done it at home, beside the road, and on the trail. If you can't do it this way, you are doing something wrong.
You can also split wood with an axe instead of log splitter quite successfully, repeatedly, and reliably. So what? Stop innovating and creating easier, faster, and/or more efficient ways to do things?
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #910
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,103
I tried it for the first time today on a trifecta of difficult tires...
1) Motoz tire (very stiff sidewall)
2) Heavy duty tube
3) Rim lock
4) (bonus) I'm lousy at changing tires

My axle was much bigger than the adapter I got with the tool. I think I ordered the biggest, but can't remember. It wasn't a dealbreaker, but it did put the tool at it's longest reach on the 21" rim. If it were the correct size, It would have worked better. I'll say this... this tool is like magic! Getting the tire to what I call the "starting point" (one bead outside the rim, and one bead inside... some people can get to this spot in 2 minutes using only their hands. It took me almost an hour to get here.) Now, the difficult part (and, where the tool comes into play)- getting that other bead seated. Wow... seriously, it took maybe 5-8 minutes. I did use a Motion Pro Bead Buddy (out of habit), but I'm not sure it was necessary.
I'm very impressed. If someone made this out of alloy, I bet it would sell even better, because folks would take it on the road. Not that it's incredibly heavy, but surely not designed for travel. Anyway, great product!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #911
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
I tried it for the first time today on a trifecta of difficult tires...
1) Motoz tire (very stiff sidewall)
2) Heavy duty tube
3) Rim lock
4) (bonus) I'm lousy at changing tires

My axle was much bigger than the adapter I got with the tool. I think I ordered the biggest, but can't remember. It wasn't a dealbreaker, but it did put the tool at it's longest reach on the 21" rim. If it were the correct size, It would have worked better. I'll say this... this tool is like magic! Getting the tire to what I call the "starting point" (one bead outside the rim, and one bead inside... some people can get to this spot in 2 minutes using only their hands. It took me almost an hour to get here.) Now, the difficult part (and, where the tool comes into play)- getting that other bead seated. Wow... seriously, it took maybe 5-8 minutes. I did use a Motion Pro Bead Buddy (out of habit), but I'm not sure it was necessary.
I'm very impressed. If someone made this out of alloy, I bet it would sell even better, because folks would take it on the road. Not that it's incredibly heavy, but surely not designed for travel. Anyway, great product!
Just Ron, I've done a few 21's, tube type and tubeless, and the tool should have plenty of reach. Make sure you have the tool inserted all the way into the hub. If you have your wheel laying flat on the work surface, the rod that goes thru the hub will contact the table, or whatever, and not go far enough into the hub, effectively reducing the reach of the arm. If I'm changing a tire outside of my shop, I lay the wheel / tire I'm working with on top of the tire I just replaced, so that the rod goes all the way thru. This will give you plenty of reach with the "pusher"

Also, the pusher needs to be "sort of" parallel with the ground which makes it less likely to scratch your rim. If it is pushing down, rather than straight out, you can cause more damage.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #912
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

I just went back and looked, you ordered the tool with the 17 mm adapter. The tool is 20 mm and there was a sleeve to shim that to 25 mm. The 17 mm would be for a smaller bike like a DRZ or XR650L. If you had a XR650R you would use the tool without any sleeve or adapter because it would have a 20 mm axle. You have a bike that has an axle bigger than 25 mm?

The optional adapter you ordered is for a SMALLER axle (17mm). The tool itself will do 20 and 25, and basically any size in between (with a little slop).

If you did have an axle bigger than 25, it shouldn't be too hard to shim the 25 with some thin aluminum, aluminum tape, duct tape, etc.. Post up a pic of the tool put together.

PineyMountainRacing screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 06:58 PM
Old 08-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #913
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
I just went back and looked, you ordered the tool with the 17 mm adapter. The tool is 20 mm and there was a sleeve to shim that to 25 mm. The 17 mm would be for a smaller bike like a DRZ or XR650L. If you had a XR650R you would use the tool without any sleeve or adapter because it would have a 20 mm axle. You have a bike that has an axle bigger than 25 mm?

The optional adapter you ordered is for a SMALLER axle (17mm). The tool itself will do 20 and 25, and basically any size in between (with a little slop).

If you did have an axle bigger than 25, it shouldn't be too hard to shim the 25 with some thin aluminum, aluminum tape, duct tape, etc.. Post up a pic of the tool put together.
I bought the 17mm for a different bike (can't even remember which one, I might have sold it by now, haha). Yeah, my front axle is much bigger than 25mm, based on the amount of extra space. I could have shimmed it, and would have if I thought I needed to. But, it worked like that. I had the wheel on wood blocks, maybe 2 inches thick (what I normally use to change tires). I understand what you mean about the angle of the pusher and it's reach. Maybe my "review" came off wrong, but I thought it worked great. I don't really feel the need to make any adjustments. I'm still shocked at how much time (and energy) the tool saved me.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #914
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

OK, good. Whatever slop you have between the tool and the hub, you will lose in the reach of the pusher. Too much slop and the tool pusher won't be long enough for sure.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #915
RoadRdr
Mostly Pavement

Oddometer: 181
I have the tool and the stand I plan to use for the fairly small training motorcycles but it didn't occur to me until I was looking at my rear tire on my BMW GSA with the large center hole... I don't know how i can use this tool on my beemer.

Has anyone that bought the tool used it on the rear wheel of a BMW?

I don't have access to be able to weld or machine any kind of adapter.