User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
this bike is a learning experience for sure. ;)

Since my last update I'be been struggling with a high idle (2200rpm), leaking cylinder base and deformed pushrod tube seasl, and incorrect timing. So I rebuilt the carbs will all new soft parts (and switched to the stock floats instead of the individual ones), I RE-sealed the cylinder and got new orings and pushrod seals, and fiddled with the timing until I believe I've learned the problem...

The good news is that the high idle is gone. I suspected a vacuum leak in the carbs and the rebuild seems to have fixed that. the cylinder doesn't seem to be leaking, but my pushrod tube seals are deformed again, and I was EXTREMELY careful about installation.. I have an idea that the pushrod tubes may be protruding out of the cylinder to far, but I'll have to take some measurements to be sure...

the timing? well, it's looking like I need to replace the timing chain. I cannot get the 'S' in the window at idle nor can i get the 'F' in the window at full advance. AND my points plate is twisted all the way in one direction. my guru buddies seem to agree that this means timing chain. What is ALSO probably means is that my bike might have 150,000 miles instead of the assumed 50k. which I suppose is not a huge deal especially with how much stuff I've already replaced;)

SO! Tomorrow morning i'll be ordering timing chain parts. good times;) However, even with the timing off, the bike runs pretty damn well and I've been putting about on it. I also made a cell phone mount that didn't turn out too badly...

I hung out with the SD Antique Motorcycle Club Saturday morning

www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote