User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
cc-rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
RD400's

Guess I should introduce myself,,,I am 2smoker from Ohio.

I joined this site a long time ago but I just so busy with everything going that I only lurked around.

As far as 2 strokes I enjoy building and trick'n them out for that rush you get when it's on the pipe.

My 1976 is my favorite bike

My 1978 Is the quickest one get on the pipe at 6500 rpm and signs off around 9500

Have a great weekend
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
volkrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
welcome and nice rides..I like the 78 the best...needs some graphics tho :)
volkrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
I had one. It was a lot of fun.

Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Brad-Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Welcome cc-rider:

I had a '75 RD350 new in '75, am currently riding a '74 RD350 and doing a ground - up on a '75 RD350 (not the same one).

It will be getting a mildly ported 400 engine w/Pro-Flo chambers and an MZB/Zeel electronics.

One of these days I'll post some pics.

Brad-Man screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 08:22 AM
Brad-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
cc-rider OP
Adventurer

Nadgett, love those '79 Daytona's..

Brad-Man that's the fun of these things, building them. :-)
Are you working with Lynn Garland at Vintage Specialties for the porting?
Lynn is a top notch guy.

Volkrt, funny you should that. The yellow has always been a shade or two off so last week I started sanding it for repaint. I'm thinking blue with white rally stripes plus adding a white "Yamaha " decal to the tank.

Once that is done I'm putting it up for sale.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Brad-Man
Adventurer

I have been down to Lyn's several times.

The first was to have him supervise me tearing down the '75 engine and evaluate the crank/rods (both needed work).

Next time was to evaluate a 250 crank/rods that I got for next to nothing (both needed work) and a RD400 crank/rods (good!) so I decided to go with a 400 engine. Since this isn't a race bike, I figured that the bigger area under the curve would better serve my ~250 lb frame.

Last time was to actually put together the bottom end after he put new bearings (all four) on the crank for the 400 engine.

We kept up a running conversation and I learned a LOT from Lyn.

I am a member on 2 2 stroker sites and always send people east of the Mississippi to him if they are north of Atlanta or in the Atlanta are for crank work.

He no longer does porting.

A great guy and as stand-up as they come.

Brad-Man screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 10:22 AM
Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
cc-rider OP
Adventurer

Brad-man, your are exactly correct about Lyn..

I knew he was getting of some porting work but mostly the 90deg stuff was hurting his wrist and hand.

I have done several machining jobs for Lyn, mostly cutting combustion chambers and squish angle on his 400 and also did something to Paul's 250 just cant remember what that was now..

Every time I have been to his shop it was hard to pay attention because he had a couple really nice bikes catching my eye. LOL

Have fun doing building your bike, hope to see them here or on one of the 2 stroke forums.

-Buddy
Old 08-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Brad-Man
Adventurer

I'll be posting pics everywhere for people to see.

I already have threads about the project on USA2Strokers and 2StrokeWorld, but haven't updated them recently - I'm about to get the oil tank, side panel and gas tank painted.

The chassis is already together and I am waiting on a machinist friend to make a jig to center dowels from my specs.

I forgot to mention that the heads had already been reduced to 25 cc and squished by MBSteve.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
cc-rider OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad-Man View Post
I'll be posting pics everywhere for people to see.

I already have threads about the project on USA2Strokers and 2StrokeWorld, but haven't updated them recently - I'm about to get the oil tank, side panel and gas tank painted.

The chassis is already together and I am waiting on a machinist friend to make a jig to center dowels from my specs.

I forgot to mention that the heads had already been reduced to 25 cc and squished by MBSteve.

MBSteve does great work from what I have seen.

What are you doweling, your heads? If that the case you can borrow mine.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
cc-rider OP
Adventurer

I pocket mill a cavity for the dowel to sit in. I tram the center of the bowel and the cylinder the way the center lines are exact to each other and of the sleeve is what aligns it to the cases.

Here is a before head

And After

Old 08-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Brad-Man
Adventurer

I actually have a damper for a press (rubber cylinder that is the right size that I have a 16mm machined bolt and the jig and a big washer to tighten down and center the jig on the cylinder and the jig has replaceable drill bushings so I can drill and ream to size the dowel holes in the cylinders and heads.

I have a shorter 16mm bolt w/ spark plug threads that threads into the the spark plug hole in the head to center the jig to the head. (Since the combustion chamber is centered on the spark plug hole.

I am going to use 1/4 " dowels in the location the locating holes are in the cylinders for the head gaskets w/an interference fit and ream out the holes in the cylinder head to .251".

Just waiting on the jig now.

Then I get to install the right side (pump primary drive and clutch and install the MZB/ZEEL and wire to get it going (assuming paint will be done this week).

Just in time for nice fall weather to ride in around Atlanta, GA....!